Serato Coloured Vinyl vs Black Vinyl

Of those of you that have used both have you noticed any difference???

either with tracking or the weight and feel of the vinyl for scratching and juggling.??

lifespan??

i've only ever used the black.

i've always been led to believe that with regular vinyl black vinyl has a better sound quality, and i have to say i have noticed it with some of the few coloured vinyl i have, but that can just be up to the pressing...

I'm just wondering if this crosses over to their tracking ability over time.

some on the serato forums say the coloured are more suceptible grime and dust...

here's a discussion on it http://serato.com/fo...iscussion/34884

Supposedly in black vinyl a carbon compound is added to give the black colour and this gives it more durability...

I checked a few nerd sites (not regarding serato vinyl, just normal..) and here's what a few said...

nothing definitive just a few randomers from gearslutz, ecoustics and audiokarma forums...

"Vinyl pressed in translucent colors is usually purer than the run of the mill vinyl and can sound much better than regular black vinyl..."Back in the day" we used to hold LP's up to strong light sources and the good ones would let light through...Windham Hill records, which used some of the best mastering people in the business, and the old MoFi were like this....I just played a classical record this weekend of red, transparent vinyl from the late 1950's, early '60's, and it was truly magnificent...I've got some "Pablo Today" jazz releases that are pressed on transparent, colored vinyl and they are all superb..."

"There should be no difference between black vinyl and clear vinyl. Lamp black is added to what is essentially milky white vinyl to make black LP's. You will find more variation in the quality of vinyl - period - than in any two colors."

"Carbon black" is the pigmenting compound added to PVC (which is generally a translucent clear color before any pigment added) that makes it look black. It is a homogenizing agent which helps reduce surface noise to a good extent. Other colored pigments generally aren't nearly as good as carbon black in doing this. Colored vinyl runs are a p.i.t.a. for any pressing plant, as it requires cleaning out the extruder of the press before and after the run, meaning more downtime.

Best regards,

Steve Berson

www.totalsonicmastering.com

www.invertmusic.org

www.warlockasylum.info

I've got the black vinyl and the stones throw clear one. IMO the black vinyl feels better and I think works better. The clear one does seem to have a bit more shit come out the grooves, which transposes to the.vinyl having less grip.

I left a serato vinyl on my tech in the car during the heatwave and it totally warped :( reckon I'm gonna by some more black ones soon.

Jon said theres some new deep cut ones which are supposed to track better for scratching but they're 20 quid per vinyl or something

Wax, where can I find those new ones? It's really hard to find good serato records, the old ones were ok, but since SL3 came out it's like every single pair I've ordered came warped.

I shouldn't have taken that grammar test, I knew you'd cyberbully me for life. Anyway, comma splices are actually quite common in Portuguese, I don't know why you don't like them.

I've only used black and clear ones. I never owned a pair of black ones that were totally flat - the best I did was the last pair I bought and one was perfectly flat, but the other was slightly warped. I bought a pair of clear ones and they were flat. I couldn't notice any difference in feel/performance.

HA! You probably speak the best English out of anyone on here. If you hadn't of said you were portugese i wouldn't of known

Wait, Solemn speak's good to

I asked you this yesterday, but since you kindly ignored me, I'll ask it again: did I met you at that Super Scratch Sunday I attended back in March or you weren't even there and I'm just mixing people up? (notice the use of a colon instead of a comma) If we did meet, you'll know that I can't really put my Oxford English to good use, taking me an average of 10 seconds to put a sentence together.

Yeah, I remember you saying you were going to an Action Bronson show. No biggie, I'll win the portuguese DMC this year and I'll be back in London in October. I just need to come up with a better dj name till then.

Your knowledge of the Portuguese history and culture is startling, although your racist remark about the portuguese financial crisis yesterday was a bit disappointing, not nearly as offensive as the English gentleman who asked me how I had the money to go on vacation.