Hee-Haw Battle #1

Yoshi

This is a scratch battle. But... it's not like any other.

It's a game-changer.

Well... maybe that's exaggerating a bit. But the point is that we're tired of listening to someone scratching the "Aaah" from Change the Beat over and over again for 2 minutes.

So let's have a battle using scratch sentences and, hopefully, this would provide an opportunity for scratchers to return to classic hip hop scratch hooks and study them.

And maybe this would mean more scratchers are available for recording scratch hooks for hip hop artists and beat makers...

Of course, the point is that the key to good scratch hooks is funk, more than technique.

That's why I've chosen not to use sentences from Scratch Science or any other modern battle break, many of which are designed so you can just 2 click over them, but to return to the classic of all classics — Hee-Haw Brayks.

On it, there are sentences from EPMD, Audio Two, Wu-Tang, James Brown and old school electro records... In short, a goldmine of classics!

Besides, it's the record I can assume most safely that scratchers have in their collection. I'd be surprised if you don't have it!

The idea is that a particular section from Hee-Haw Brayks is chosen every month, and you post a scratch file using only that section.

For this month, the chosen section is about 3cm in from the outer edge of the record, with the following:

Freeze / Huh / Here we go / All that scratching is making me itch / Ah

The beat for this battle is another hip hop classic, "Dynamite!" by the Roots:

http://soundcloud.com/yoshi_ttr/dynamite-loop

It's all about that 94bpm.

[EDIT:] The deadline is 31st March.

Let's practice!

Oooo, nice one Yoshi.

Will do a wee file for this one. Are we returning to the old format where you post vids up yourself? Think everyone preferred that to know what they were up against.

I want to win this! I need to borrow hee haw though! Why can't we use any sentence?

To honour the great DJ Flare, of course!

But seriously, I want everyone to have at least one copy of Hee-Haw Brayks. It saddens me to see people owning Scratch Science records but not Hee-Haw; cutting up Busta's "breaking shit down" but not Audio Two's "got it good"...

Guest Symatic

maybe so, but lots of people do seem to have it, so it makes sense for this battle.

Is hee haw not the one i thought it was? i thought it was the one with lots of thin bands of sentences on one side but shit beats on the other?

maybe so, but lots of people do seem to have it, so it makes sense for this battle.

Is hee haw not the one i thought it was? i thought it was the one with lots of thin bands of sentences on one side but shit beats on the other?

Nah,

It's basically all the most well known dirt style samples on one side and 2 or 3 electro beats on t'other

Guest petesasqwax

wax on - that would be dope man. since I got the digital setup i find it hard to justify buying yet another dirtstyle record that I won't use