DV Beat Battle #4

Yoshi

WINNERS from #3:

Beat - Jimmy Penguin

Scratch - Penguin

Well done x2!

---

Rules:

(1) Produce a beat (to be scratched over) between 1:30-2:00 long.

(2) No genre restrictions - from orthodox to experimental, whatever suits you.

(3) We're going back to option 1 from this month, because I think adopting option 2 was one of the reasons we had less entrants than the preceding months, as the thread just died due to lack of posts.

Deadline for beat submission is the 10th March.

Let's hope we get more than 5 entrants this time.

I reckon there's less entrants maybe because the battles are too frequent...

i'd agree, we found that out with SSS, 4 weeks on the reg was too frequent generally so people didnt mind missing it, whereas you make it 8 weeks and people make the effort to turn up.

Lets go back and see how many entrants we get before second guessing eh?

You may be right but then again, you may not. It shouldn't take all the long to record a file, Gonna do one this time now I got my recording set up nice.

Agree with Jim and Wax - I've not got the time to dedicate to this so frequently and the tight deadlines make it seem like a chore and then once you've missed one you're not bothered about entering any more.

It is fun (hence why I entered the first one) but repeated, organised fun becomes not fun.

Why don't we have 4 weeks to enter a beat and 4 weeks to record the scratch, then take a month off?

Guest Symatic

how long does it take to record a couple of minutes of scratching?

it might take more time to put together a really nicely produced beat, but i dont see why the scratching part should take a whole month.

besides I like the quick pace, it forces us to progress.

• Like 2

I reckon vote for a beat and take the battle element out of posting scratch vids (assuming the battle bit puts people off posting) and people could just post for feedback and ego boost stuff.

Just a suggestion nahmneen

Why don't we have 4 weeks to enter a beat and 4 weeks to record the scratch, then take a month off?

You already get 4 weeks to make a beat. For example, the beat battle for last month ended on the 10th Feb. The deadline for the one this month is the 10th March. That's a whole month to make a beat.

Think of it this way - the deadline for the beat battle will always be on the 10th of every month.

Besides, come on, Scott Storch makes a beat in 2 hours.

Jim, stop being a killjoy.

Much as it pains me I have to agree with Jim. The thing is, you want to attract people to enter these and you can't do that by badgering them to do something if they don't want to do it.

People do this for fun and if it stops being fun and becomes a hassle then they don't do it. In my case I didn't enter the last one because if I have spare time, I'd rather fill it with other things. That's just one example.

I entered the first one because it was a bit different and a bit fun but the relentlessness of it makes each battle less fun. It becomes a serial grind.

I'm telling you this because I am a potential entrant who didn't enter last time and won't enter this time because I don't have time before March 10th to enter a beat. Here's how my life breaks down until then:

Tonight: work on another mix

Tomorrow: out with mates

Saturday: going to fucking Tamworth or somewhere to watch football all day

Sunday: work on mix, spend time with loved one

Monday: BMF training

Tuesday: work on mix

Wednesday: BMF training

Thursday: work on mix

Friday: don't know yet

Saturday: probably spend a lot of the day preparing for a gig, sorting out tunes etc...

So I'd have to fit it in on Friday night. Maybe I would do it, maybe I wouldn't but if a mate texts me on Friday afternoon and asks me to go to the pub, I'm choosing the pub. Then *oops* I've missed the deadline but hey I can always enter next month until the exact same thing happens again. I also happen to work 9-5 as well. I'm not knocking any part of the battle but I'm just saying that it's not my number one priority and as the churn of beat battle-scratch battle-beat battle-scratch battle continues I can happily categorise it as "not part of my life".

If you want people to enter you have to be accommodating to their needs, rather than complain and say that I should have spend the past two weeks working on a beat.

Look, dopp, if you're too busy to make a beat, then that's fine. Real life comes first, after all.

The battles were always for fun, hence the lack of prizes. But if it's inhibiting you from having fun, then don't!

I don't expect you to turn out a beat every month. But if you do happen to make a beat when you have that rare stretch of free time, then do consider submitting it for the battle.

But I can't change the deadline to suit the need of each person, because then the battle will get nowhere and just end up in the archives of DV.

It's unfortunate that you are unlikely to enter this month's battle, but please know that the battle is always here to serve as a platform for your beats-to-be and for someone to scratch over those beats-to-be.

The whole point of the battles in the first place was to encourage producers and scratchers to collaborate.

I don't mean to impose anything, I'm just trying to provide consistency.

Besides, if someone is off the battle for a while, it's good to know that, even if they haven't followed the battles during that time, there is always a battle here, and the deadline is always the 10th of every month.

I think the bottom line is that you have to be gracious if you're going to run this. Have the battles month in month out, fine, but just accept whatever happens and whoever enters. Take out the 'winner can't compete' rule, because you can't moan about lack of entrants whilst creating a rule that specifically excludes someone from entering.

If you want to be the pillar of the DV battle community, perhaps think about how you can add value to the whole thing. Create a leaderboard, create or find someone to create decent graphics for the identity of the battle and each month's files. Find somewhere to upload them - Bandcamp, for example - where you can put things together into a legitimate 'product' for download. Make/organise the making of a good looking looper each month and upload it to Your Looper. Take it upon yourself to raise the profile of the battle, and think about how to incentivise entry.

Take my opinion with a pinch of salt, of course, but to a certain extent the way you present the battle in your language and approach comes across like it's a cross to bear...

• Like 2

Have the battles month in month out, fine, but just accept whatever happens and whoever enters.

I agree with that, but there was something different between the last two battles, namely the format. Since some have complained that the new format did make things less exciting, I've decided to revert to the old format. I wasn't taking out my frustration on those who didn't enter, but rather on this factor. It's this that I can't "accept." I acknowledge that personal circumstances prohibit some from entering this battle.

Take out the 'winner can't compete' rule, because you can't moan about lack of entrants whilst creating a rule that specifically excludes someone from entering.

I might do. I see that the rule is beneficial only in cases where there are many entrants.

If you want to be the pillar of the DV battle community, perhaps think about how you can add value to the whole thing. Create a leaderboard, create or find someone to create decent graphics for the identity of the battle and each month's files. Find somewhere to upload them - Bandcamp, for example - where you can put things together into a legitimate 'product' for download. Make/organise the making of a good looking looper each month and upload it to Your Looper. Take it upon yourself to raise the profile of the battle, and think about how to incentivise entry.

What is a leaderboard, may I ask?

Graphics - will consider.

Bandcamp idea is brilliant, I'll get on that.

Looper is definite.

Incentivise - the only option I see for this is offering prizes of some sort...

Try and stop being frustrated at all! Take a deep breath, smile, and treat this like a bit of fun :) If you set the tone and lead by example, things will pan out just fine - you just have to be a bit zen about how long it takes and treat it like it's valuable so that people are enticed rather than cajoled!

• Like 1

Sorry, I didn't see these when I replied last...

What is a leaderboard, may I ask?

You know, a board where you put up who's entered and won each time.

Incentivise - the only option I see for this is offering prizes of some sort...

There's that, there's offering to promote something that someone's doing, there's some kind of board privilege (giving someone else a member title, perhaps), there's hooking someone up with artwork/beats/scratching for a project they're working on...

Finally though, you need to nail down exactly what the rules are. So you are letting Jimmy Penguin enter again this month? Who can enter, exactly? Anyone? Anyone who's signed up, even if they don't post? Jimmy sits and lurks and then sends slightly odd PMs to people rather than contribute to the board, and if the entire point of this is to have fun and increase contribution to the board Jimmy's not really helping either of those goals by being a creepy lurker and you're not helping things by letting him enter despite saying the winner of the previous battle can't. Jimmy I know you're reading this! Come back to the light!

Guest Symatic

those beats are sick. eric yours is frickin phat, my favourite beat of yours yet by a long way - and thats not to say i didnt like your other ones, but this ones awesome

Thanks mango.

I think people don't usually feel my beats as much because I make elevator music. I'm the poor mans R Kelly.

I now have worked out that you mans is into FILTH and shall therefore be provided with it :-)

when i post in a thread here or start a thread here.. i feel it never goes anywhere..

when i pm you guys i can properly answer questions or just have banter without getting derailed by two many opinions toward two many aspects of the topic

i feel i can contribute better this way..

so yeah please feel free to pm me..

fact is im too busy too have opinion battles, so in future if i have something to say, expect a private message from me..

wurdsies..

oh yeah. people should stop calling competitions battles.. wierdos..