[Tutorial] Orbit, Delayed, Autobahn, Boomerang

Yoshi

Broke, don't you think it makes sense to call the orbit starting from the sixth sound as the delayed? That's the only way I can see why it's referred to as "delayed"... Why do you think the term "delayed" was used?

Broke, don't you think it makes sense to call the orbit starting from the sixth sound as the delayed? That's the only way I can see why it's referred to as "delayed"... Why do you think the term "delayed" was used?

It made sense to me. The boomerang is just a two click orbit. The record motion is faster than the clicks thus the clicks are delayed.

This is why terminology in scratching sucks sometimes. Too much room for various interpretation.

I haven't watched your clip so I don't really know what you mean in your first sentence above.

I never stopped to think about it. I mean, like Steve, I've been scratching for over 20 years, before the internet and YouTube and way before we even had normal flares. Over time, all this terminology started appearing, but no doubt different people all over the world were calling things by different names. When the delayed 2-clicker came out that's just what it was, the scratch in that clip I posted. If you're wondering why it's called that, I think aliosity said something about the fader hand clicking later than normal, so that's why it was delayed.

If you want to REALLY get into terminology etc, it isn't really a flare at all, because in the strictest sense a 'flare' is creating a silent point with the fader while the sound plays, i.e. the opposite of transforming. Clicking on the change in direction wasn't flaring unless you had another click in the combo which created a silent point in the sound (or the 'pass').

What Kwote said also makes total sense.

PECAE

Basically Q came along and started calling what broke and kwote are calling delayed flares - boomerangs. He then when on to coin names for delayed flares (of which as far as I know there are about 3 different types depending on interpretation)

Basically Q came along and started calling what broke and kwote are calling delayed flares - boomerangs. He then when on to coin names for delayed flares (of which as far as I know there are about 3 different types depending on interpretation)

That's quite accurate. Come to think about it now, DJ Naoki used follow Kwote and Broke with regard to what the delayed named, but then after Scratchlopedia, other scratchers in Japan saw that Q referred to the boomerang and the delayed as two different scratches, and since Excess started calling the 'old' delayed a boomerang, people thought that "if boomerang and delayed are different, and boomerang is THAT, then the delayed must be something else".

I mean, what I called the delayed in the above video (which is how Q describes it too) is the same as the orbit, just starting from the pullback, like a reverse chirp. So maybe it's a reverse orbit or whatever. I only started using terms like delayed or boomerang or whatever, because people watch Scratchlopedia and I assumed that so it just seemed like the easiest way to communicate (that is, to take Scratchlopedia as a reference point). I mean, language is to communicate my thoughts to yours, and for that you have certain conventional signs (like words) to make that easier. Because now we have a conflict of sign-systems, between old and new, we've reached a predicament.

In the end, when I show someone a scratch, like the autobahn or whatever, I always break it down to the basics. As I've said before, it's best to think chronologically. When you see that the 2 click orbit came from the og flare, and that the og flare came from chirps and transforms, it all makes much more sense, because if you do that everything can be explained in terms of babies and transforms, which are two terms that everyone agrees on.

Anyway, the conclusion is that Qbert fucked it up. He should've never released Scratchlopedia. One Klit Flare? Come on.

One Klit Flare? Come on.

:((

Just to clarify, I actually call it the boomerang just because that's what most people call what used to be referred to as the 2 click delayed. That and it's just easier to say. I don't really care about names that much either.

delayed 2 click flare is aliosity's definition, end of. It makes so much more sense than the delayed 2 click on skratchlopedia, that's just a fkin normal 2 click. Qbert thinks he can come and re-name scratches and shit and make his own shit up, dude thinks cuz he's good at scratching he invented the shit. Me and ruckazoid are comin for you Q, bleedat.

• 3 months later...