Recording and audio routing issue

doppelkorn

It's not objectively right for you. You're buying a product because you think it's "cool" and because you have convinced yourself that it costs less than an external sound card (you're clearly blind to the ones that are cheaper). What you'll end up with is something that is more troublesome to use for the main task you want to perform and potentially more expensive.

When I said in the shoutbox that I would reply to this thread and explain why I think direct recording to a PC is better, you should have stopped me and said "no, my mind is already made up, so don't bother" and that's the only thing that's annoyed me.

If I was bothered, I'd start a thread like this: -

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=30084

Except my thread would be called "IMPORTANT! Stop recording via a PC and buy a Boss multitrack recorder!", but yeah - I'm definitely the arrogant one that makes illogical arguments and wastes my money. ;)

So you're annoyed that I "let" you try and convince me to buy a soundcard? My mind wasn't made up; your argument was insufficiently persuasive.

How can you argue whether something's "objectively right" to buy. How can you defend buying ANGELA FUCKING WINBUSH across several formats as "objectively right"?

You can't put a monetary value on the peace of mind and spiritual fulfillment that comes with owning a very basic drum machine with OVER 50 preset patterns in styles such as "rock" and "pop".

My argument wasn't persuasive cos your mind was already made up. Buying a piece of hardware to use for recording mixes isn't comparable to buying music on different formats and I didn't defend my purchase of those things by saying that I was "objectively right". If you're going to attack my arguments, try sticking to attacking things I actually said, rather than things that you imagined.

Do you know the difference between objective and subjective BTW?

Do you know the difference between objective and subjective BTW?

Wow, that's not passive aggressive at all. I never said that you said that it was objectively right to buy the Angela Winbush stuff because my point was that it's difficult to justify a purchase as objectively right. As you said, your purchase of the AW stuff was ilogical, which I agree with.

However you are saying that me buying the recorder is objectively wrong for me (post #26) and by implication saying that the soundcard is objectively right which you can't justify because the whole issue is a grey area. I acknowledge this but you are convinced that the soundcard is objectively the correct decision when this isn't an objective purchase, as many are not.

We can split hairs all day but one thing is clear. You are convinced that you're right and that you know what's best for me, suggesting some arrogance.

The issue isn't really a grey area though. If the primary reason you are buying a piece of hardware is so that you can record mixes and do multitracking, then whatever hardware allows you to record direct to a PC is superior to whatever hardware requires you to transfer files back and forth via a compact flash card. The PC enables higher quality recording. It has greater than 8 tracks for recording to. The editing and other functionality in the software you use on a PC is going to go way beyond what the Boss offers. There is no need to copy files back and forth when you want to switch from recording to editing as you're recording and editing in the same piece of software.

The only advantages the Boss has are portability and the built in drum machine, but you're not weighing that up against the negatives regarding the primary reason you're buying it in the first place. If you said "my main priority is that it has to be portable and stand-alone" then of course I wouldn't be banging on about sound cards, but you didn't. You're making jokes about the drum machine and about you playing lots of gigs per year and wanting a portable recorder, so it seems to me that those functions aren't that much of a consideration.

I should have just posted something as succinct as Wax posted and left it at that.......

A Multitrack would be a right arsehole for editing.

Use a computer.

The fact that we're actually having this argument is proof that it is a grey area.

I'm bored of this argument. What I'll do Steve is post a video with no edits showing the whole process of me recording and transferring a piece of audio and if you see me crying then you've won and you can put the image in your avatar and put "King of boring arguments about workflow productivity/Drum machine dream shatterer 2011" in your sig.

The fact that this argument exists is not proof that it's a grey area.

When you come to create more complicated multitracked pieces, it's not just a case of recording a long piece of audio and then transferring it over to the PC to add some effects or whatever, so posting a video of you transfering a WAV file via a memory card isn't proof of much, although that in itself is still proof of the inferiority of that method as you wouldn't have to transfer anything if you were recording direct to a PC. When you create something more complex, you're constantly switching from recording to editing, re-recording pieces, messing around with the audio you've recorded etc. and you'll find that a pain in the arse with that Boss. That's maybe why there's never been a "which multitrack recorder should I buy for recording mixes" thread on DV.

fucking hell, i read quite alot, then looked down to see shit loads more

my 2 cents: buy what makes you happy. its not always the result, the method counts for something to. a recorder would be alot more fun than a soundcard. same way an mpc is alot more fun than a soft sampler

a recorder would be alot more fun than a soundcard. same way an mpc is alot more fun than a soft sampler

Hitting "record", then a while later, hitting "stop" followed by copying a WAV file over to a PC isn't my idea of fun and that's primarily what he'll be doing - over and over again if he's multitracking. The fun is in creating the mix, not in making a simple process more complicated just because you bought the wrong piece of hardware for the job. It's not comparable to using an MPC over a soft sampler, because an MPC is something you actually play, so you're constantly hands on with it.

I just noticed from the previous page that you can't even export each individually recorded track as WAV files using that Boss, so you'd have to bounce down to 1 stereo track before you even do any editing. Why not buy a pair of boxing gloves as well, so you can wear those while you're trying to mix? It'll make it harder and less convenient, but I'm sure it would be a lot of fun!

Well this is fun on its own. If anything, seeing you get more this animated is worth any effort.

I'm doing a greatest ever hip hop tunes mix with all the classics from Craig David, Sweet Female Attitude and 3 of a Kind.

Having looked into it you apprently CAN import the separate tracks. I got the worong info off some YouTube comments. I should of known better.