Kase 2 RIP

Steve

Soren you're the man to ask here. He mentions there at the end "I don't think you'd even be able to read it" so what's the ethos behind super complex pieces where you can't read the tag? I think I'd rather see a cheeky throwup than those on the whole because they lose a bit of that spontenaity and kind of typographic unity once you get very complex.

Be interested in your opinion.

• Like 1

Soren you're the man to ask here. He mentions there at the end "I don't think you'd even be able to read it" so what's the ethos behind super complex pieces where you can't read the tag? I think I'd rather see a cheeky throwup than those on the whole because they lose a bit of that spontenaity and kind of typographic unity once you get very complex.

No ethos really. Most people won't be able to read it, but most graf writers can, you just get used to the way people structure their letters and connections, arrows etc. . For some it's more about the structure and architecture of letter forms and how you get these to flow well, and for others it's just about getting up regardless of what your stuff looks like.

I don't think you loose the typographic unity in more complex stuff at all. If you're just making it complex for the sake of it but have no actual flow or letter structure in there then yes of course, but I personally love very complex pieces that are still legible. Guys like Bates I.E he does fairly complex semi wild style stuff but it's still easy to read, even for non graff people.

Here's a quick example of more simple stuff (not the best examples but at work so don't have time to look for better) (Bates on the left, then Kent, Atom, Smash 137, Kacao and Can Two). Not very complex this one but not straight letter either. He does far more complex stuff than this but the letter styles are still always in there. The others are pretty legible as well but still a bit of style to them. Kacao's piece is maybe harder to read, but I find it quite easy cause I've been into graff for so long.

On the the second example he goes more complex but still easy to read (Bates is no. 4 from the left). Love the 'More' piece as well (no. 4 from right). And the 'Great' piece is a good example of classic New York Wildstyle (no. 2 from the right). Complex but the letters are funky and easy enough to read for a graff writer at least.

Then there's 3d styles like the stuff 'Daim' is doing (on the bottom pic). Complex as in it's three dimensional but you can still see the letters easily.

• Like 1

well back then i suppose it was that they wanted other writers to be able to see who it was, but A) they didn't give a fuck about the general public, and B) they didn't want the cops to be able to recognize "habitual linesteppers...." so keeping it illegible was selfserving and trendy....

yeah Bates is always legible, never really mad into his shit tho..

but as for still remaining legible and bringin the funk and the letter flow, smash is a fuckin madman...

smash137.net for freakiness..... also nicest guy in the game... we had him over to dublin 2 or 3 times...

check the way he incorporates the wall that he's painting on in some of the pieces...

never needs a plain background, and hardly ever primes the wall, no room for cutbacks he doesn't need, he's so tight...

from workin in the shop i've had so many stupid conversations with graff writers and my mates usually try and talk about it hilariously in forcefully condescendingly scratch terms

like straight up freaky on the cut is tags & throwies

sick at routines is pieces

and beat jugglin is characters... (coz noone does it these days....)

it doesn't make sense but it kinda does...

you put work into a routine but people who think they're hardcore dont give a shit....

although there isn't yet a graf equivalent of pre cut records, so god bless them, they haven't had to endure those arguments yet...

to get even stupider, mtn 94 and the low pressure cans are kinda like a pro x...

Guest Symatic

to get even stupider, mtn 94 and the low pressure cans are kinda like a pro x...

HA!

Daim is dope, i really like insa's old 3d stuff too. have you seen what he does now? its all just pictures of boobs and bums, sometimes covered in paint.... awesome

@savwar: Do you happen to know Kube and Maser and those guys? I lived in Dublin for a couple of years and met Kube a few times, nice guy and dope writer. Did a few walls there with Phats and Wes from MSO if you know them, really nice fellas, and some guy who writes Ask/Aske? I think he's in FOES crew now or something.

I love Bates and all the other Copenhagen heads, just cause I grew up with their stuff, and I love the classic NYC style. Met a few people in Ireland though who met Bates at the Drogheda jam and said he's a prick. :(

Smash137 is amazing. I love that freehand/sketchy kinda style he started rocking.

mtn is more like a stock fader on a PMC05 though, and Molotow is like an Eternal fader :p

• 2 months later...