n00b misconceptions you had about DJing/scratching before you started

Steve

Back in the 80s, I heard a DJ scratching on a hip-hop track and the stabs were so fast (for the time) that I was convinced he had some sort of mixer where when you pull the record back, the sound automatically cut off, as there was no way he could have moved the fader that fast. lol.

2ndHand asked me once "how do you make those sounds when you scratch? Like "fresh" and "ahhhhhh"?". He thought that the sound was created by the way you manipulate the vinyl and fader, so you could could get those sounds out of any record, rather than the ahhhhhh and fresh sample just being pressed on the record. I've seen a few people on DJ Forums ask the same thing, haha.

Also, when I started scratching I'd never seen anyone else actually do it. I'd only heard it. I used to scratch with the tips of my fingers holding the edge of the record, instead of having them on the surface of the vinyl. I had one or two records where the edge was so sharp, I'd have a cloth in between my fingers and the edge of the record so I wouldn't cut myself. Those old scratching clips I posted recently were done with my fingers on the edge of the record. It didn't even enter my mind that it would be better to put my fingers on the surface of the vinyl instead!

One that I never understood was I somehow thought that scratches on tracks were done with one record, so the DJ was scratching the vocal say and yet the beat was till somehow playing underneath. I blame cartoon depictions of hip hop DJs for that one where they're kind of scratching

Put me in the edge of the record camp as well. That stems from my dad drilling the "don't touch the records" philosophy into me!!

I never understood what the DJ's were actually doing when I went to a club. I didn't have a clue what mixing or beat matching was so I was like why the hell are they standing there pretending to scratch when I can't even hear it! They're clearly just trying to look cool with their headphones! Haha.

I never understood what the DJ's were actually doing when I went to a club. I didn't have a clue what mixing or beat matching was so I was like why the hell are they standing there pretending to scratch when I can't even hear it! They're clearly just trying to look cool with their headphones! Haha.

Yeah like you see them pressing buttons and turning knobs but nothing actually happens.... To be fair that actually holds true!

Guest Symatic

my mate recently had a shock when he realised the platter spun under the record. he was like: man you guys must have well strong arms!

i thought the eq could totally filter out elements of the track, so if you took out the bass you'd get rid of the drums completely.

when I started DJing I thought DJ Lethal was the best scratcher in the world and I had ambitions of becoming the world's foremost sport metal DJ

You and Jon would make an awesome nu metal DJ team.

I was supposed to be posting jokily in reference to Jon but you're right Chris. I'm actually off to Sonisphere this weekend but I'm gonna miss Slipknot and Limpbizkit on the Sunday.

when I started DJing I thought DJ Lethal was the best scratcher in the world and I had ambitions of becoming the world's foremost sport metal DJ

Mind you I can talk

you're not far off my thoughts/ambitions when i was 14!

I used to think hiphop beats on records were performed live because I first saw (funnily enough) Lethal use an mpc to make a live beat, so I presumed all beats were performed that way.

first time i saw turntables with adjustable pitch sliders... i thought they were volume controls

"needles dont make any difference... its just a con so the manufacturers have an excuse to use more expencive magnets".... i found that was wrong very quickly...

home made felt slipmats really dont work that well...

you really cant scratch on a grammerphone without wrecking both the needle and the record instantly

vegetable oil is not a good fader lubricant

i would actually become "good" one day

I thought that buying new gear would make me better ... but actally the shitty belt drives n 2 channel gemini forced me to learn. Was pretty disappointed when I got a new mixer n didn't immediately start cutting like tony Vegas...

Just to clarify, this staement:

was supposed to be a joke aimed at Jon. I never liked DJ Lethal!!

Just to clarify, this staement:

was supposed to be a joke aimed at Jon. I never liked DJ Lethal!!

I found your joke funny, Mike :)

you really cant scratch on a grammerphone without wrecking both the needle and the record instantly

Haha..I learned that the hard way as well. My parents weren't impressed :$