Quick file for the bitches!

djfoly

i'll watch this when i get home joe.

but scratching isnt just about funk you know lads!

EDIT: i dont want this to turn into an arguement, i just meant diff people like diff things. and funk isnt the be all and end all of scratching. technique and diffeculty are also factors :)

Ill Joe, really tight

That beat is ill! what is it?

Its from a track called 'boyband' which I think was produced by either Lorn or Uncle Lew. One of the csm boys will clear that up for me. Its a dope track with I think 5 different djs on it cant remember who, only that manipulate is one of them. I think its on CSM #1! Ask the penguin he'll know!

Ill Joe, really tight

That beat is ill! what is it?

Its from a track called 'boyband' which I think was produced by either Lorn or Uncle Lew. One of the csm boys will clear that up for me. Its a dope track with I think 5 different djs on it cant remember who, only that manipulate is one of them. I think its on CSM #1! Ask the penguin he'll know!

Wicked, turns out I already had it from CSM#1. It's Uncle Lew.

i'll watch this when i get home joe.

but scratching isnt just about funk you know lads!

EDIT: i dont want this to turn into an arguement, i just meant diff people like diff things. and funk isnt the be all and end all of scratching. technique and diffeculty are also factors :)

It's all about the funk, end of, no question.

Sounds dope man.

on the funk, I think you can get funky on any old beat. On QSU, Q calls it 'swinging' the scratch. So rather than landing everything directly on, you get it slightly off to add more flavour

If I nod my head to the off beat I start scratching to that instead, which I think makes shit sound funky!

Edit: @Jimmy, without funky there's not point in having difficulty and technicality! :p

i liked it joe, i've always liked your style and cuts to be fair. i agree with dooban on try the whole swing thing, and off beats.

and just to clear up, what im saying about funk...yeh its definitely a good thing, and it does sound wicked, but if u have no technique then i dont see how u can be funky, all 3 are needed in a nice balance. and again, personal preference.

you get techniques down, then u develop your style or whatever, and you try to make what you do more funky, im just trying to say that i enjoy clicks aswell as funk!

Nice man, def picks up around the 30 second mark until the end. Some pretty unique patterns in there. You do quite a few 2 clicks though, like up til the 30 second mark it's mostly 2 click patterns. So yea, maybe need less 2-clickers but it's hard to tell from a 50 second video, since those 20-30 seconds of 2 clicks might be all you do for the next 10 minutes.

Nice man, def picks up around the 30 second mark until the end. Some pretty unique patterns in there. You do quite a few 2 clicks though, like up til the 30 second mark it's mostly 2 click patterns. So yea, maybe need less 2-clickers but it's hard to tell from a 50 second video, since those 20-30 seconds of 2 clicks might be all you do for the next 10 minutes.

Theres some 2 clicks some boomerangs which is a 2 click pattern essentially. But also swing flares (which i think is a 3 click patter and also 1 clicks and stabs and crabs. That reverse 2 click pattern that I do is one of my favourites and its good to flow from! I will bear it in mind though mate!

Theres some 2 clicks some boomerangs which is a 2 click pattern essentially. But also swing flares (which i think is a 3 click patter and also 1 clicks and stabs and crabs. That reverse 2 click pattern that I do is one of my favourites and its good to flow from! I will bear it in mind though mate!

Word, yea I don't mean just 2 clicks as in orbits, I realize the technique is switching up but it's all the same triplet rhythm so although you can do a million different techniques (orbits, boomerangs, OG flares, prisms, etc etc) having them all follow this same rhythm it's gonna sound a bit repetitive.

I did the same thing in my last file on here though, I had a good 20 second or so spree of just 2 click patterns, and although I know myself that I was doing different techniques, it gets boring sounding since it's all the same rhythm with slightly different dynamics.

I think the triplet rhythm comes from the nature of double timing over a 4/4 time signature doesn't it? There are a lot of people who use this timing and flow between 2 click techniques...like you say including yourself. I quite like it if I'm honest. But, having said that what are your ideas on how to change it up?

Trying to work on my flow at the moment. It all went wrong so I have cut the vid short. This is pretty much the level I'm at but I need to find some new funk as it sounds stuterry and weird to me! Any thoughts?

Very nice! You're like the Pac of turntablism.

I think the triplet rhythm comes from the nature of double timing over a 4/4 time signature doesn't it? There are a lot of people who use this timing and flow between 2 click techniques...like you say including yourself. I quite like it if I'm honest. But, having said that what are your ideas on how to change it up?

Well double-timing strictly speaking wouldn't be triplets, triplets are like 1.5 timing in most cases. My comment wasn't meant super strict since it's such a short file it's hard to tell if it's even something you would have to fix or change since 20-30 seconds of 2 click patterns is a lot more noticeable and significant in a 50 second file than it is in the grand scale of thing. I just think that from 30 seconds to end you vary it quite a bit more than the first 30 seconds, so you probably know already how to change it up.

It's just a matter of not falling into doing 2 clicks too much. If you are I think the easiest way to vary your rhythm is to mix in cuts that aren't naturally a triplet rhythm, like chirps, stabs, transforms and do combo's. For example, if you do a bunch of 2 click flare/boomerage/original flare combo's they'll likely begin sounding repetitive before chirp 2 click combo's will, just because chirps and 2 clicks are more different in execution and rhythm.

• 3 weeks later...