Mildly hungover, hungry & scratching

x2k

So after failing to record anything while drunk last night I got up this morning (ahm...if I say it was morning then it was morning!) and recorded some cuts. I think this is actually the first time I have ever pressed record, did some scratching and then just upload what I recorded rather than picking the best bit or retaking many times.

It's pretty fucking shit but actually better than I expected, I think it starts of promising then goes to tits about a third of the way through but a few promising moments nearer the end.

Thing is this is just randomly flowing, some times it better, often it's shitter, I have not consistency in the standard of my cuts.

Any ways here's the vid and let em fucking have it with the criticism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNGrdbB8Km0

considering you said you dont really practice at all now, and when you do for no more than a half hour I thought this was dope. All I would say is you missed a couple of things that I would expect you to have nailed. The flow was dope and its a shame you cant practice for longer cause i reckon you'd be a hard hitter within nae time. It must be frustrating. At least your a fucking heavyweight dubstep producer!

^What Joe said.

Your timing releasing the sample at the end of some phrases was a bit off at times, but I def reckon with a few more sessions all your timing would be back on track and your patterns are nice! Post some more videos soon :)

Nice one fellas and it was too much grief to record direct sound so I didn't fuckin bother.

I'm actually a bit confused about this now because when I listened back the first few times it kinda sound alright but when I try now it sounds proper shit to me...I'm actually incapable of judging anything fucking thing I do (goes for the production too).

Yeah the wrist issue put quite a stop on it, it the last 3 days or so I've had a little session each day but before that I've had at most about 10 scratches in the last 6months and most of them were for 10-15mins and never more that half an hour cos the wrist starts to lock up. I know what you mean about fucking up simple things I should've nailed and that's always been my problem, for some reason I just can't go back and improve the fundamentals (main ones being transforming, 1 click flares & tears) because I can work at all day long for weeks and it doesn't seem to get any better. I've literally done 1click orbits right through records for several hrs at -8% -4% 0% +4% +8% then up to 45rpm and the same and still when I try and use them the fall apart. Used to be great at transforming then switched to hamster and never been able to get it as nice and I had it before since.

One other thing I noticed is that I have 2 differnt crossfader hand techniques for different cuts and I do some with one and some with the other but switching between I can't do at any speed.

Basically I'd love to be able to cut for 2mins without any mistakes, I don't mind if it's a bit slack but generally without fucking up...in that vid I reckon I've fucked up at least once ever 10 seconds, probably more.

Fuck scratching anyway, it's gay, thanks for listening though/

I thought it was pretty good mate, you should definitely stick with it! Perhaps try to add a bit more variety instead of using the same sample the whole way through, and maybe some breaks instead of constant scratching. Turn off the beat, bring it back again and so on? Considering you don't practice much anymore it's pretty damn good though.

@ soren

i really dont get what you mean, he does loads of different stuff and he isnt constantly skratching!

---

@ x2k

your really good, i like the patterns and the flow.

to tighten up try to go even slower, as slow as you can, and keep it consistent.

sounding good.

i think scratching too much is a bad thing, and i think your cutting sounds original probably because you dont do it all the time, people can start to sound repetitive if all they do is skratch and practice patterns and techniques.

like practicing a kickflip one hundred times a day, and eventually you look like a robot when you skate.

sometimes skaters who do the best tricks practise too much and they end up lacking style, like q-bert and d-styles, i'd say d cuts loads less than q-bert, and thats why he sounds better []imo of course], it feels to me like q skratches so much that it just isnt enjoyable to watch by the time we end up seing it, but with d it feels like it still excites him!

i think the relationship between performer and audience is really important which for me means i buzz of the performers buzz.

its important to take brakes, it just might take slightly longer to warm up or really get into it!

hmmmm...

Sorry for not replying earlier, mildly hungover and hungry yesterday seems to have got worse and developped to massively hungover and unable to eat.

Firstly thanks to you all for taking the time to listen/watch & reply, secondly I'm genuinely shocked by the responses because I genuinely think it sounds shit and my flow utter wank but I'm gonna try & trust you guys and all the same it's very flattering so thank you. There's no danger of me packing it in but whether or not I can get it together to try & tidy it up and develop it I don't know...see what happens.

@foly: I'm pretty sure it was capel tunnel syndrome but the thing is it's not just in my wrist, these problems I mentioned in the other thread about painful shoulder & hips and fuck knows what all feels related to me, almost like there's something fucked up running from my left ankle to right wrist, it's weird and a fucking pain in the arse.

@soren: I can quite easily do things like stop the beat and using different samples is all well and good but this video wasn't meant to be routine or show anything off so I was just flowing with ahh so the guys here could see where I'm at (which is a pretty standard way to do so). Maybe some time I will post another video more along those lines some time but this was just meant to be a demo of by cuts. Incidentally my timing gets really shit when it comes to cutting up words. I have to admit I'm pretty surprised at you other comment though about leaving gaps, there's actually quite a few gaps and spaces in there and it's what I consider laid back cuts rather than full on power cutting.

@jimmy: Thanks man, thats a proper nice compliment. I will definitely take your advice on slowing down to tighen up, I really think that is the way to do it too. I know what you mean about the cuts becoming robotic with over practing (although I wouldn't really mind being a q-bot lol) but you reckon q-bert has gone past the point of enjoying it? Normally in videos he looks so into it. I also remember D-styles once saying "scratching is like a relationship, some times I love it, some times I hate it...right now I hate it" which I feel comes across in is cuts in that it feels more like it has emotion put into it and that translates through where as to me qberts cuts are more like just a constant level and you know exactly what to expect. Q can cut do some really good technical cutting and also he can be pretty funky but it always comes across to me as happy, positive and great scratching where as D's to me comes across like it's straight from the soul of a tortured artist haha...I also think D is braver with the cuts that he's willing to do. Fuck that turned into an off topic rant, sorry about that and thanks again for the comments and advice!

Thats harsh Tom! I hope you find some sort of remedy for that shit!

On the subject of q and d Jim manipulate said to me 'dont assume that q cant get funky he can do everything that d can do but just enjoys doing what hes doing' and I agree with that...Ive heard q tapes and sessions that were as funky as can be!

Thats harsh Tom! I hope you find some sort of remedy for that shit!

Me too, it's not enough to ruin my life but it's enough to piss me off lol

On the subject of q and d Jim manipulate said to me 'dont assume that q cant get funky he can do everything that d can do but just enjoys doing what hes doing' and I agree with that...Ive heard q tapes and sessions that were as funky as can be!

Oh I totally agree and as I said in my rant q can be funky, I really like his stuff when he cuts to hip-hop beats rather than battle breaks and electro because for me thats when he gets really funky usually.

I agree that you're flowin' nice, it sounds like your technique is holding you back a bit since your slower cuts sound a lot tighter and nicer than your double-times for the most part. The two ways to solve this are to either work on your technique and get faster, or just to not worry about cutting fast and don't push yourself. Nothing wrong with keeping it slow and clean.

I agree that you're flowin' nice, it sounds like your technique is holding you back a bit since your slower cuts sound a lot tighter and nicer than your double-times for the most part. The two ways to solve this are to either work on your technique and get faster, or just to not worry about cutting fast and don't push yourself. Nothing wrong with keeping it slow and clean.

Thanks man, I hadn't actually noticed the difference between the fast & slow stuff but I see it now. Thing is I like faster cuts but they fuck up my wrist the most :(

Apologies. I don't know what I was on about. Maybe because the sound quality is not so good and I listened to it on one of those tiny little travel speakers (I'm still waiting for my new speakers) so I couldn't really hear the different samples and it all just sounded like the same to me. So don't mind me. I'll lay off the crack immediately! :d

Apologies. I don't know what I was on about. Maybe because the sound quality is not so good and I listened to it on one of those tiny little travel speakers (I'm still waiting for my new speakers) so I couldn't really hear the different samples and it all just sounded like the same to me. So don't mind me. I'll lay off the crack immediately! :d

No need to apologies, you said what you thought about it and that is all I wanted and thanks for taking the time to do it. There weren't any different samples in there (just ahh) so you weren't hearing things. The only comment you said which really caught me off guard was the one about leaving spaces in there and not cutting flat out all the time ;)

obviously im not saying he cant get funky.

point i tried to make was that just because he's smiling doesn't mean he's really into it.

he always looks like he's enjoying it, i prefer to see someone in full concentration, i dont think smiling and looking toward your audience is enough for me to form a relationship with as a spectator!

the dmc's at the moment annoys me because everyones 'clearly' put more thought into impressing the crowd than being in anyway tight! booooo...

if your a tight fucker, than fair enough if you want to show off a little, but people looking out to the crowd and doing a sloppy chirp flare is non-sense!

so im saying that i hope q hasn't sacrificed continuing to push it forward in exchange for a crowd full of smilling hoodies!

ahhh for president imo

especially if its a 1/2 minute file!

i dont want to hear someones favourite samples all in a row over a random beat!

cut it up fresh, cut like a guilotine ahhyeah! funky fresh funky fresh funky fresh etc.. makes no sense..

skratching is about articulating texture and rythm! thats the whole point of ahh! in a one minute file you should be showing off what you can do, not what skratch record you like to use! if your making a track or a routine then fair enough, put the ahhh record away! dig a lttle whatever, funky fresh ahhhh!!!