Do you listen to your own mixes and scratching?

Steve

When I make multitrack mixes, I try and make them sound as cool as possible to my ears (in terms of the technical side) and of course I only use tunes that I actually like, but when I'm done making a mix, I'll pretty much never listen to it again. I'd rather listen to the tunes either unmixed or mixed by someone else.

It's weird, cos I'm happy with the way the few mixes I've finished have turned out, and I like all the songs, but it's just cos I made them that makes me not want to listen to them. I think if I could scratch as well as D-Styles, I'd be the same. I like listening to his scratching, but if it was me that was doing it, I'd listen to someone else scratching instead.

This thread was inspired by Wax's comment in the shitebox: -

it'd be pretty pointless to make mixes which you didn't want to listen to...

I like listening to old scratch files and mixes to see how i'm progressing, but I don't listen to them regularly . I make them for other people really, mainly for feedback or just to share music I'm feeling at the time. With production it's different though, I tend to listen to beats/tracks I've made a lot more.

I listen to my own mixes quite alot.

thats down to me liking the tracks and also i've mixed them the way i like and wanted to. so thats all good :)

the first few times i listen tho im listening hard trying to see if i fucked anything up, but after that i can sit back and enjoy them.

EDIT: in response to jon making mixes for other people, i make mine for me lol, but im really chuffed when others like them

scratching is abit different, i dont record it much (gonna change that this year) but when i do, im super hard on myself. so dont do it much, but if it was something i was happy with i'd probly listen to it.

i do like hearing myself scratch when im practicing tho, as in i like the style i've developed and stuff.

EDIT: in response to jon making mixes for other people, i make mine for me lol, but im really chuffed when others like them

Just in case there was a misinterpretation :) I didn't mean I make mixtapes that cater to their tastes, it's music I like Djing/listening to that I want to pass on to people to see if they're interested in them.

I'd never listen to a scratch phile that i'd made, but i don't listen to scratch philes anyway.

I totally get what you're saying about your mixes - The first couple i did were more introcate ones, albeit not on the level of what i've heard from you, but then i remember someone remarking to me about wanting to hear songs all the way through, and that changed my style so that on my mixes tunes play out quite a lot so i guess they're more about the selection than any skills. there's certain ones i listen to more than others for definite.

Just in case there was a misinterpretation :) I didn't mean I make mixtapes that cater to their tastes, it's music I like Djing/listening to that I want to pass on to people to see if they're interested in them.

:)

When i scratched i always listened to myself. after a looong day cutting i loved nothing more than to go to bed with a set of headphones on and listen to whatever i had recorded. Think it helped me alot too

I hate listening to live mixes or scratching I do... I just pick it apart and don't enjoy it at all.

I've enjoyed the one multi-track mix I've made. But it was a pain to do and I doubt I will do it again.

I like listening to the "mixes" I do in Ableton--just fast and I'm not as judgmental about it. I also like listening to my beats a lot.

Guest loop skywalker

i love listening to my mixes and scratching,its why i do it,not just mine..i love to listen to everyones...but deffo my ones..not in a vain way,just lie what i do...even when its poop.

I hate listening to live mixes or scratching I do... I just pick it apart and don't enjoy it at all.

I've enjoyed the one multi-track mix I've made. But it was a pain to do and I doubt I will do it again.

I like listening to the "mixes" I do in Ableton--just fast and I'm not as judgmental about it. I also like listening to my beats a lot.

pretty much took the words out my mouth, except i dont use ableton ... however been having more fun mixing recently so might try recording something soon.

I used to rec0ord everything i did on my decks to minidisk at one point, then at school the next day id go through it and edit and chop out the bits. it would help me alot find mistakes, things i could improve.

It all stopped when my recorder broke. I dont thik i have owned anything that will record in a reasonable quality since.

I always recording what I do. Mostly to learn from it. If i plan to upload a mix though i wont listen to it before i do. I know i would just find a lot of things wrong with it, and i wont upload anything.

With production, I listen to them the once there done, and than leave it mostly. Again because i know i'll just think its rubbish,

I listened back to my tracks the other week and one thing came to mind.... What was I thinking?

I listen to all my shit too much until I totally saturate my brain and never want to hear it again, next time I might listen it might be some years.

This particularly annoys me with production because by the time I finish the tune usually I'm already sick of it, I need to work more and listen less I think.

I used to tense up as soon as I clicked "record". I still do a little. my solution was to leave a tape recording constantly, so if I did a kick ass hour or so I'd have it taped. I like listening to a lot fo my mixes, some mixes I have done in the past have tracks on them that I don't like so much (many were often there to 'bait' listeners, ie drop some party hiphop and then hit them with the backpack shit...). The majority of the mixes I put out I do listen to reasonably often for a while after I've done them. I like the tracks, the way I've put them together. I go on places like mixcloud and there's all these bigged up mixes where the skills are purely lacking, but they have a gimmick or good network and get rated, the best mixes I've heard on there have had about 40 listens max...