1Xtra's Most Hip Hop poll

Wax On

Guest loop skywalker

i listened to the show on the way to work last night...kanye west more hip hop than q tip.Thats when i switched off. Jay z is cool but not the most hip hop...i would have put afrika bambaata,run dmc,etc way up there...i know busta was on the panel but that fucker is more hip hop than kanye fuckin west t'rassklattt.

kool herc A BAM tribe (not just q tip) wu tang de la soul and defo the mighty groups RUN DMC and PUBLIC ENEMY should have dominated that poll. they have been waaaaay more influential than these twats they had kanye jay z and i mean that in record sales too except jay z.

No Stetsasonic, Main Source, Prince Paul, Kool Keith or Ultramagnetic MCs, no EPMD, Slick Rick, Kool G Rap & Polo....not even a mention for Ed Lover & Dr Dre of Yo! MTV Raps.

As for the top ten, they say that Jay-Z, Kanye, BIG, Tupac & Eminem are influential. Really? The only inflence they had was to make hip-hop more pop!

Suppose it's a personal thing as to whether you think that's a good thing or not!!

Or maybe, I'm just showing my age!!!!

from the message borad... I comletely agree, but would change a few names.

Nice to see Lil Wayne in there, he represents everything that is and should be hip hop imho

Lil Wayne is misunderestimated.

if you mean that folk should think hes shitter than they already do then i agree with you!!!

i started listening to this but turned it off too when i realised they were gonna e completely off point like radio 1 / 1xtra always are, it pisses me off how crap they are. its a show for morons, who heard the way they talk to everyone? once i heard jo whiley explaining who david bowie was to all the listeners, i mean come on.

No Stetsasonic, Main Source, Prince Paul, Kool Keith or Ultramagnetic MCs, no EPMD, Slick Rick, Kool G Rap & Polo....not even a mention for Ed Lover & Dr Dre of Yo! MTV Raps.

As for the top ten, they say that Jay-Z, Kanye, BIG, Tupac & Eminem are influential. Really? The only inflence they had was to make hip-hop more pop!

Suppose it's a personal thing as to whether you think that's a good thing or not!!

Or maybe, I'm just showing my age!!!!

from the message borad... I comletely agree, but would change a few names.

I can't agree. I love Main Source, Utramags, G Rap ect. and don't particularly like the rappers in the second list

butt

if talking about influence you can't deny that any one of the rappers in the 2nd list have probably made more people listen to hip hop than all of the rappers in the first list put together. This in effect makes them more influential IMO.

A problem with this poll is that it doesn't specify whether its about who's most influential now (which would be Kanye/Wayne/Jigga etc), and who has influenced most artists historically (Rakim, G Rap, KRS etc)

Fuck knows what Obama's doing in there either way though. Maybe they meant to write Big Daddy Kane or something.

No Miker G and DJ Sven? They were on Top of the Pops and everything.

I'd only listen to it out of interest rather than setting any stall by any thing they say. For oldies like me, the chart would be made up with a vast majority of originators with a few of the newer heads along the way. For da kidz, it would be wall to wall stars from 2000 onwards. You can't please everyone.