What mp3 player should I get?

Vekked

So I need some sort of portable music playing device, I'm not too picky on anything, I don't wanna get too crazy expensive, I don't need any touch screen ish, and I'm not too fussed about video... should I just get an ipod and be done with it, or are there better options out there? I was looking at the 80 GB zune and it looked pretty tight, but I'm not too sure... I'd like at least 16 GB and decent battery life

any ideas? ipod/zune/other?

peace!

-[Vekked]

I'm on my third mp3 player. I started out with the Creative Zen Touch 40 gig. Absolutely loved it. extreamely easy to use. it only put music on there that you wanted. you didnt have to have the software search your computer for music. it was just like copying normal files on windows. (sorry, dont have a mac so i cant compare) and you didnt have to store all of your music on the computer. you could rip straight from the cd to the player. But, i dropped it and the touch pad stopped working. but i got the 2 year replacement warraanty.

so with that i got the Creative Zen vision M 30 gig. just like the zen touch except this one did pictures and movies. I liked the zen touch better but this one was just a great and it had a mic on the side. got much use out of that. but, it crapped out on me. wouldnt let me load anymore music on it. I could delete stuff, but not load. but, i got the 2 year replacement again.

so with that i went back to best buy with all intentions on getting another zen, just to find out that they stop selling the zen at best buy. so i was left with the 80 gig zune or a 80 gig ipod classic. i flipped a coin and went with the zune. i hate this damn thing. it gets the job done, but its a pain in the ass to work with. it has to sync with your computer. you have to keep all your music on the computer. the zune software has to search for all music files. and if its not tagged right then it shows up unknown. you can almost garuntee that it will put the wrong album art up. if you got a 18 song compilation album with 18 different artist, then you'll get 18 different albums with the same title. and theres no mic on the side. and no eq settings. i never thought i would complain about sound quality from an mp3 player, but the zen sounds so much better. and yes i got the 2 year replacement again. so when this one breaks, i'll probally end up with an ipod like everybody else.

so creative zen seems like a valid option, and the zune seems like it's not an option...

I feel like Gizmo might be right on this, I thought that surely there's a cheaper/decent capacity alternative to ipod, but most of the alternatives seem like they're more expensive or have far less capacity...

looks like 189 CAD for a refurbished 5th gen 80 GB ipod classic right now that's looking kinda tempting... but maybe I should shell out for the 120 GB 6th gen for 279, but not sure if there's any major differences between 5th and 6th gen that make it worth $90+ more?

EDIT: I guess the 80 GB is 6th gen too, it's just been discontinued and replaced by only 120 GB ones, any reason not to get the 80 GB for 189?

Zen is supposed to be good. My wife got a Zune for super cheap and it seems to be pretty tight. MobiBLU cubes are tight as fuck and the most portable thing I have ever seen (wife has one too) but they are not very big on storage. Ipods are the norm tho... everything is built for ipod, so it can be frustrating to have something that's not an ipod...

word, I just wish there was something a bit more to the point or something with mp3 players, like big capacity/long battery life, no video support, just the necessary stuff... honestly I can't think of very many times I'm gonna be watching videos on a tiny ass screen so I'd rather just have a cheaper player without the ability to do so... but it doesn't seem to exist

I'm a big fan of Cowon MP3 players. The build and sound quality is excellent and they have a ton of features. The battery life is wicked too - I get 50ish hours out of mine if I'm just using it for audio. I believe they do have an automatic sync app that comes with it (you may even be able to use WMP actually), but I just drag and drop files to it in Windows Explorer. I've got a Cowon D2 which is only available in 2, 4, 8 and 16GB models, but all have an SD card slot and support SDHC cards up to 32GB in size, so storage is only limited by the number of cards you want to buy. Cowon MP3 players are quite pricey though and if you don't want all of the features they offer they might not be for you, but give them a look.

If you get an iPod (pfffft, cheap tat :p) then put Rockbox on it.

http://www.rockbox.org/