question about needles

juse box

i hated using the q-bert ones as they always skiped, burnt the records in 5mins and sounded shit.

I got them on my PDXs (they came free with them) and I'm not sure if it's the plasticy build quality of the vestax or the needles but as soon as you put the needle on the record it just sounds boxy as fuck.

i hated using the q-bert ones as they always skiped, burnt the records in 5mins and sounded shit.

I got them on my PDXs (they came free with them) and I'm not sure if it's the plasticy build quality of the vestax or the needles but as soon as you put the needle on the record it just sounds boxy as fuck.

yikes, sounds like the needles have crazy output and your gains are overcompressing them. maybe turn down your gains then adjust your amp or master fader? you've probably tried this already though :p

thank God for the internets. i had m477s and i like the white label's more, they barely skipped but i want some banana type ones now for battling. and i thought the qberts were skip proof. i guess i have to do more research and digging for some good needles. i want some skip proof needles but not ones that'll kill my records. does ortofon make any other needles for scratching?

My advice when choosing a needle is this...

If you want to scratch/juggle but have no plans on entering the dmc the get the shure m44-7s.

If you wanna enter the dmcs get the ortofon qberts, OM versions will probably be better because you can tweak them more (and they cost less)

If you just want to mix, look for something with decent sound quality.

I find its more about the records you use than the needles. I have q bert ortofons and I find them slightly better for juggling on technics but bad for vestax all round. I use to have bad problems juggling on my techys but now its all good. for straight scratching I would suggets scratchy seal 1 or 2 and save yourself 160 bar! :)

• 3 weeks later...