Short practice file

Graft

Hi,

I would appreciate it if someone with a medium/high skill level could give me some serious feedback on my cuts as I have no one to practice with/get feedback from... I've focused more on phrases and stuff than techniques.

http://hellserv.serveftp.com/straightup/Mu...racticecuts.mp3

Peace!

Graft.

Not sure what my skill level is but I think your cuts are nice. Could be a lil tighter nice. Nice style and real relaxed. I like to hear some faster cuts and some slowwer cuts. Maybe on some techniques its sounds like your leaving the fader open to much. It would be clean with shorter sounds. But what do I know. I think its sounds pretty good.

Nice Scratch, Just wanna turn the volume down on it a bit to fit with the music. It can sound good if the scratch is at the same level, then it becomes part of the whole, instead of an individual thing. Cool though!

pz

Pretty good stuff.....phrasing was decent....I think you could stand to loosen up your record hand a bit, sounded a little bit stiff but nothing that won't improve with time & practice. Keep at it and keep posting up, as long as you can make good use of peoples creative criticism (which most take as a personal attack lol) then I'd say youre right on track. Keep it up. :clap:

Thanks for feedback! It's appreciated.

When it comes to the crossfader-work, I've actually been expreimenting with getting a little "sluggish" (meaning that I get a little behind the beat), especially in the end of bars or phrases. I haven't really made up my mind about it yet, but the idea was that if it's not like "powerscratches" but more careful stuff I think it might help to add a little more soulfull feeling to the cuts. Anyone got any thoughts about this? However, this doesn't mean that I don't have to practice on being tight ;)

About the record hand, I agree that I need to loosen up more. I've been working on that after I recorded that clip (about two months ago), so it's better now but I will probably allways need more practice.

I'm aware that the sound quality sux and that the cuts are a little too high, but it's only a practice snippet + I like to have the volume of the skratching a bit higher than normal when I practice cause it makes it easier to hear what's going on and what I need to be tighter on.

Thanks again!

Peace!

I'm aware that the sound quality sux and that the cuts are a little too high, but it's only a practice snippet + I like to have the volume of the skratching a bit higher than normal when I practice cause it makes it easier to hear what's going on and what I need to be tighter on.

Thanks again!

Peace!

A good thing to keep in mind when scratching/recording is to turn down your low end on your eq's (for your sample) as when you manipulate ahhh/fresh you don't really want any extra low frequencies you might pick up from your hands touching the vinyl. It also helps define your cut in comparison to the beat so you don't have to bump your cut volume in respect to the beat. ...end result, a much cleaner sound and easier for you to pick over your technique without making the file unlistenable.

A good thing to keep in mind when scratching/recording is to turn down your low end on your eq's (for your sample) as when you manipulate ahhh/fresh you don't really want any extra low frequencies you might pick up from your hands touching the vinyl.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, I use to do that... Maybe I forgot it this time? hm... Thanks anyway :)

There's some v good cuts on there, particularly like whatever it is at 19-21secs. Good stuff but it would be cool to hear a longer/better quality file.