Which DAW for Macbook?

drummy

Hey guys. I am eventually getting a whole bunch of synths. Because they lack MIDI, I am going to record directly into an audio interface and put the samples into a DAW. I currently have a Windows laptop with FL Studio, but FL Studio sucks for samples and stuff in my opinion. Anyways, I plan on getting a Macbook and an audio interface (which I have not decided on as well). For the DAWs, I am deciding between Logic Pro, Pro Tools LE, and Digital Performer for now. What do you guys think I should get and why, and what interface should I get with it? Thanks.

Also, for the interface, please keep in mind I am not exactly rich, so I'd like the interface to be quality, but not too expensive. Thanks again.

BTW if your synths have a CV input you can get a CV to MIDI converter for a reasonable price and control your synths via MIDI. You'll still need to record them though if you want to record any of your tracks, how many inputs do you need on your soundcard?

BTW if your synths have a CV input you can get a CV to MIDI converter for a reasonable price and control your synths via MIDI. You'll still need to record them though if you want to record any of your tracks, how many inputs do you need on your soundcard?

Thanks, but I'm not a fan of CV and MIDI and all that. I like recording straight audio. Weird, I know. Anyways, I only need two inputs on the interface, as all my synths and and stuff are plugged into my Mackie studio mixer, and the outs of those would go into the soundcard.

If you only need two ins I'd go for an M Audio 24/96, you can get them for about 60 quid and they are pretty good cards IMO. What synths you got by the way?

Right now I have a Korg MS-20, but I eventually plan on getting an ARP Odyssey, a Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, and some other analog poly synth, I'm thinking of a Yamaha CS-50 or a Roland Jupiter-6 at the moment. And thanks for the suggestions, but I have had bad luck with M-Audio stuff and would rather pass on any other M-Audio gear. I have been looking at some Motu interfaces (the 896 looks cool), as well as the Apogee Duet, anyone got any experiences with those?

I have also decided to get a Macbook instead of the Powerbook.

Right now I have a Korg MS-20, but I eventually plan on getting an ARP Odyssey, a Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, and some other analog poly synth, I'm thinking of a Yamaha CS-50 or a Roland Jupiter-6 at the moment.

Wow, nice stuff man! Where you get the MS-20? Ebay? About the M-Audio ting, I've never had a problem with them, although the usb drivers for the trigger finger were a bit gash. Never had a problem with the soundcards though (I've owned a 24/96 and a delta 10/10). Motu gear is supposed to be good, I've never used an 896 but I have used an 828 and it worked fine. They are quite pricey though.

Yeah the Macbooks look good, I wouldn't mind picking one up myself. My computer is literally on it's last legs. I think its burned out about 84 power supply's since I've had it.

Right now I have a Korg MS-20, but I eventually plan on getting an ARP Odyssey, a Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, and some other analog poly synth, I'm thinking of a Yamaha CS-50 or a Roland Jupiter-6 at the moment.

Wow, nice stuff man! Where you get the MS-20? Ebay? About the M-Audio ting, I've never had a problem with them, although the usb drivers for the trigger finger were a bit gash. Never had a problem with the soundcards though (I've owned a 24/96 and a delta 10/10). Motu gear is supposed to be good, I've never used an 896 but I have used an 828 and it worked fine. They are quite pricey though.

Yeah the Macbooks look good, I wouldn't mind picking one up myself. My computer is literally on it's last legs. I think its burned out about 84 power supply's since I've had it.

Thanks. I got the MS-20 off of eBay, yes. There was a pretty low Buy It Now ($1,250 after shipping, these things usually go for $1,600). But yeah, I'm pretty much set on the MOTU being my audio interface.

logic is great for MIDI but if you're recording audio PT sounds pretty good. Might wanna check out cubase / nuendo as well. PT 7.4 just dropped it's pretty cool.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. How about Digital Performer? Do you have any experience with that?