DJ Yoda

DJDelay

After reading about Clownstyle's night in the other thread it made me want to make up this one

What's everyone's opinions on Yoda???

Me - i think he's aiii, i heard the essential mix he did with greenpeace and totally loved that so i went out to HMV and bought his 1st "cut and paste" mix cd and i totally hated it and regret buying it. It's full of half-assed tracks ("exclusives") and dodgy advert dialogue

Got to give him respect though 'cos there aren't many hiphop DJ's in the UK who can fill venues based on being DJ's and not producers so he ain't all bad :bold: I just reckon he spins toooo many dodgy records and gets away with it because that's what people expect from him

Two-and-a-half words for ya:

Hit 'n' Miss

Some bits are okay, the Cut 'n' Paste bits are a bit lame and I hear nothing but mixed reports everywhere about his live stuff, I thought he was okay when I saw him, but other people have seen him and said it was all spinbacks using delay and reverb instead of mixing.

I was a bit let down at PLASA. I really like Yoda's stuff and he was due to do a set on Pioneer's stand using the DVJ-X1 DVD decks. Sadly, he backed out - I'm told because he feared numerous visits from George Lucas's copyright lawyers. Big shame but understandable.

it's a bit like a dj equivalent to GLC to me- all this novelty rap shit just doesn't do it for me tbh. I bought cut n paste 2, couldn't believe he did a juggle, fucked it up, and left it in the final edit.

a lot of disco kids think he's the dogs..

when he came to swansea uni i gotta say he was fuckin dope...

the set was arranged in a "music through the decades" type way, starting in the 60's and ending in the 90's finishing with the hiphop classics... also amongst the mix were loads of hiphop tracks after the tracks that were sampled (a bit of a bite from the neil armstrong "original" mix style, but still...) which was coo,

there were no effects that he used either, it was all human and the only bad points were his juggling and scratching skills (the juggles kept skipping and the scratching was crowd pleasing but very easy and repetitive)