Equipment upgrades...

decisive

I'm looking at getting rid of my TTXs and 06a and getting some Citronic pd45 mkIIs and either an SA5 or a Urei 1601 and some M44G carts.

I need to fix one of the TTXs (replace the motor chip) so that I can sell them for their actual value rather than spares or repair, which should get at least half the cash for a new pair of Citronic PD45s. I'm sick of worrying about the TTXs- even though they worked fine for the previous owner for three years and after replacing the motor in one it's been fine since, but the other's been sat in the cupboard for almost 6 months now and it's killing me not mixing- what good is calling yourself a DJ if you don't have two decks? Anyway the Citronics are nice aestheically and built like a tank, and to my eyes the only other option is second hand ST/STR8 150s, PDX2000s or 1200s- new is out of my budget for these. I could also perhaps get some second hand newer TTXs but that would almost defeat the object- plus I've gone off the styling quite a bit. Anyone any particular warnings or advice? The PD45s are basically the same as the STR8 150s without keylock and digital from what I can tell- I don't use digital and the keylock hardly gets used on the TTX. I haven't had a new pair of decks before, they've always been second hand.

The 44gs have had my affection for a while, I like the idea of the sound quality improvement over the 447 (especially since going through my sample library and noticing the samples getting harsher and harsher over time) and I'm rocking a fucked stanton 500 on a borrow from a mate and can keep that from skipping usually.

The mixer is the harder choice. The cut in on my 06a crossfader is teeny and it's light as a feather since some modding, i need to find a rail clip for a line fader from somewhere to sell it as fully working because it's broken at the mo and taped to the contact on full volume. I am sick of the 'average' EQs and sound quality however, and am looking at the Urei 1601 or the Stanton SA5. I didn't much like the Urei's cf when I tried it but the plan with either would be to stick a ProX in either- I understand there's a bit of work involved with both. The SA5 on the other hand has a much nicer CF with some basic modding so I can play fine with that until I get a strong urge to switch to prox. I do like rotary EQs though...

Basically I'm sick of not having any equipment set up and I really miss DJing so am going to get some new stuff and don't want to short change myself. all advice welcome!

also any interest in my current stuff? I am aware I haven't exactly gone for the hard sell! Guestimates of value would be helpful too.

Paaaaaayce

I loved the ST150's, so I think you'll be sound with the PD45's. Kudos for not being hung up on brand.

As for the mixer, I don't think I can help you simply because the choice of decent mid budget scratch mixers has never been so strong. On paper you'd struggle to pick out any given mixer as 'right', so I say get to trying a few. Besides, if I start dishing out advice I'll only do what I've done for the last five years and tell you to buy a Xone

cheers bro, yeah i'm pretty much sold on the citronics. funnily enough i would have bought them instead of my ttxs but i couldn't find em anywhere at the time...

the only reason i'm not going xone02 is because i don't really have the readies... i'm sort of semi tempted to wait until they come out with the prox in and see how much they sell for, but from what i can tell the sa5 offers a very competitive featureset for much lower price...

the only reason i'm not going xone02 is because i don't really have the readies... i'm sort of semi tempted to wait until they come out with the prox in and see how much they sell for

If I recall correctly, Deft was trying to shift one with a Pro-X that needed a pot replacing. All you need now is a geeky friend with a soldering iron and too much time on his hands (**whistles**)

I've owned mk1 PD45's for 3 years now and I've had no probs with them at all, I'd definitely recommend them. If I was being real picky, the only thing I would find fault with would be when stopping the record - if you're used to 1200's and the like it's a different kind of sound - but that's really splitting hairs.

Also with the SA5 you can do the plug and play mod to get that real sharp cut...

I've owned mk1 PD45's for 3 years now and I've had no probs with them at all, I'd definitely recommend them. If I was being real picky, the only thing I would find fault with would be when stopping the record - if you're used to 1200's and the like it's a different kind of sound - but that's really splitting hairs.

Also with the SA5 you can do the plug and play mod to get that real sharp cut...

I would definitely get the Citronics if they were in the US, or the Reloop turntable which is basically the same (forgot the model name and number), but alas, they are not. I'm not getting the Stanton ST-150 for reasons which I would rather not go into. I have actually been thinking about a pair of TTXs. As for the mixer, I would probably get an Ecler HAK 360, unless that's too expensive, since I don't know how much they cost in the UK. All I know is that they're getting cheaper here in the US, and they have to be imported overseas from Spain. If it's too expensive, I would look into the Mackie d.2, I've heard lots of good things about those (although a few bad things as well). As for the cartridge, the M44-Gs are nice for sure, but I would get some type of Ortofon DJ cartridge (besides the Pro S models). I have a pair of M44-7s, but I hardly use them now because of the Q-berts, which I like a lot more. I've also had the Elektro in the past, which I like a lot. They're also probably cheaper in the UK since we have to get Ortofons imported from overseas as well. My suggestions.

thanks for the citronic advice fellas, i think i'm going to go for them.

i can't find the d.2 anywhere anymore, i almost got it ages back when they first started coming out cheap. They certainly look nice, but the sound quality won't be any better than the urei and i've heard a fairly even mixture of good and bad too which has put me off it a little. the hak is a bit steep really- i haven't used one before either so i wouldn't want to buy blind as it were, although i did look into it for a bit.

as far as carts go, i'm pretty much decided on shure- i might get some more 447s but more likely the 44gs. they're much cheaper than high end ortofons too.

are you reading this deft? i'll send a pm regarding what liam said...

paaaayce