keeping it in 4/4 when mixing

d00ban

guess this applies to scratching in tracks...

does it matter if u scratch in a track and it kinda takes it out of the structure of a 4/4 song. say you've had 4 bars of a chorus and u scratch in a track with a 4 beat intro. should u make the intro finish and the new track start right at the end of the chorus or just go with the flow

so does it matter if this happens, like will it ruin peoples flow dancing or is it more important to just keep it on beat.

does it matter if u scratch in a track and it kinda takes it out of the structure of a 4/4 song. say you've had 4 bars of a chorus and u scratch in a track with a 4 beat intro. should u make the intro finish and the new track start right at the end of the chorus or just go with the flow

yes....if you ask me...otherwise it just sounds disjointed

i dont actaully know if 4/4 is what i mean

all i mean is keep it 4 beats 4 bars... say if u scratch in a track thats got an 8 beat intro thats not really going to kill the swing of things is it?

bleh well im gonna keep just doing it my way. i just wondered what other people thought of it

i dont actaully know if 4/4 is what i mean

all i mean is keep it 4 beats 4 bars... say if u scratch in a track thats got an 8 beat intro thats not really going to kill the swing of things is it?

bleh well im gonna keep just doing it my way. i just wondered what other people thought of it

post up a bit of audio of what ur doin.

4/4 timing means 4 beats to a bar. If you had a vocal sample at the same speed over 4 beats it would work...if its faster and lasts only 3 beats then scratch it for the fist beat and let it play for the remaining 3 beats..thus it will finish on the 4th beat...this sometimes work...if not slow it down to fit in with the 4 beats

in my opinion, the answer to your question in most cases is "yes."

Think about it this way....

Lets take Biggie's "Hypnotize" (95 bpm, 32 beat chorus) and Gold Digger (94 bpm, 4 beat intro)

Here is how the biggie chorus goes

[1] Biggie Biggie [2] Biggie- [3] Can't you [4] see

[5] Sometimes your [6] words just hy[7]pnotize [8] me

[9] And I just [10] love your [11] flashy [12] ways

[13] This is why I'm [14] broke and [15] you're so pa[16]id--

*repeat for another 16 beats

Ok that took FOREVER to do, so you better appreciate this LMAO...

So if the kanye song has a 4 beat intro, you start the intro on the 13 beat and then biggie chorus ends and the kanye song begins. Perfect switch.

"This is why i'm broke any you're so paid [switch] Now I aint sayin' she's a gold digger..."

Now lets say you started it on the 9 beat instead (1 bar early). The crowd would hear

"And I just love your flashy ways [illogical switch] Now I ain't sayin' she's a gold digger..."

Ya dig?

I think your question is kind of like "When writing a story, should you finish one paragraph before starting the next or should you go with the flow?" I mean, you can "go with the flow," but you're going to seriously leave the reader scratching his head.

With the above said, there are obviously exceptions to all rules.

You're talking about phrase matching, rather than "4/4" which refers to the time signature of the song. I hear quite a lot of mixes that are well beat matched, but poorly phrase matched, so it is something you should pay attention to or as Snuff says, it can sound disjointed.

mmm interesting

i find it well hard to scratch in an intro at the right time... im so used to releasing on first beat of phrase... gah

cheers for the break down xander really helped me - thats exactly what i meant basically

but say u get to the end of a chorus and then scratch in a track with a 8 beat intro... so ur 8 beats out, will that sound gash too??

think im gonna practise some looping and juggling should help me in what im trying to learn

cheers for the break down xander really helped me - thats exactly what i meant basically

but say u get to the end of a chorus and then scratch in a track with a 8 beat intro... so ur 8 beats out, will that sound gash too??

If you have an 8 beat intro, you'd drop it on the [9] beat in the above example.

If you do for some reason wait too long, i suggest dropping the next track in at the beginning of a "phrase" (verse/chorus) and just fading the 1st one out over the length of the incoming track's intro. This way you have poor continuity, but at least you don't have clashing sounds.

This shouldn't be that tough, just count your beats. Occasionally if a song has like a 2.5 beat intro or something it can get tricky, but anything divisible by 2 is really just a matter of counting it out.

think im gonna practise some looping and juggling should help me in what im trying to learn

I honestly don't see how this will help you learn to drop you mixes in on time at all. Why do you think this will be useful?

Just count. If in doubt, count. you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

If you have an 8 beat intro, you'd drop it on the [9] beat in the above example.

If you do for some reason wait too long, i suggest dropping the next track in at the beginning of a "phrase" (verse/chorus) and just fading the 1st one out over the length of the incoming track's intro. This way you have poor continuity, but at least you don't have clashing sounds.

This shouldn't be that tough, just count your beats. Occasionally if a song has like a 2.5 beat intro or something it can get tricky, but anything divisible by 2 is really just a matter of counting it out.

I honestly don't see how this will help you learn to drop you mixes in on time at all. Why do you think this will be useful?

Just count. If in doubt, count. you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

well i have trouble counting the beats when im scratching in a track at the same time... kinda silly really but i do find it hard

so if i practise my looping, scratching in the second track on the 2nd beat and getting it on time will help me.

i think all this just comes from im still only getting to grips with mixing hip hop. its much more fast and full on

try NOT to scratch in records. Learn to just drop the record in on the right beat by counting so the scratching won't be a distraction to you.

Once you get this down, you'll be able to scratch in whatever the hell you want (although i do find it a bit difficult to cut and count at times also) on beat.

Walk then run :) nahmean.

this is why learning to play drums helps, cos it helps you understand bars an structuring...like when you are mixing in a funk tune which has, for example a 2 beat drum fill before it kicks in, or before the section you wanna blend, knowing to drop the fill on the 3rd beat of the final bar before the bit you wanna blend so that the 2 songs run together

sorry if that makes no sense whatsoever, i try to explain things and then get lost in my own thoughts

holla!

nah man it makes perfect sense yo

its just doing it and making it sound good thats the hard bit

always sounds really dirty and brief when i do it, when im listening to another dj do it it seems like they have so much more time to do things haha

yeah guess ill just practise dropping dem tunes on time!

cheers for ur help fellas sorted us out proper on this one!

Mixing shmixing.

werd

i ended up mixin on saturday night,played a house & disco set,and met a very fucked up Paddy.

How was Dust?

Me and Snuffizzle got half price records yesterday.

yes we did indeedy-do....4 for 20 quid at disque is a blazing look...and 1/2 price on all new 12's...oi oi

i got some bangers to tear apart in the sampler