Call for ban on racist rap lyrics

x2k

The founder of legendary hip-hop label Def Jam has called for three sexist and racist words to be banned from songs.

Russell Simmons said there was "growing public outrage" about the use of the terms, which he said should be viewed as the same as "extreme curse words".

He asked broadcasters and record companies to voluntarily remove, bleep or delete the words from music.

And he suggested setting up an industry watchdog to recommend guidelines for lyrical and visual standards.

Simmons, the pioneering entrepreneur whose label has released music by Public Enemy, Run DMC and the Beastie Boys, objects to the use of "nigger", "ho" and "bitch".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6586787.stm

Shit is NOTHING compared to dancehall. Trying to find dancehall without homophobic sentiment is a nightmare. I really like some tracks by people like Elephant Man or Vybz Kartel, but I could never play that shit because a lot of it is one long queer-bashing session

Elephant man has toned down his stuff a lot recently, but that's mainly because promoters canceled a lot of gigs because of the negative press, and he lost out on a lot of dough.

I welcome positive changes but banning and censorship is not the way forward. At the end of the day the words aren't responsible, it's the sentiment. And the only change will be made by the consumer, when they decide to stop buying this stuff. Sadly Curtis is still shitting money so I doubt it'll happen any time soon

its a good move...and it will do alot for rap...i dontt think it will change anything really, but on the corporate level it will advance alot of people it he can get it through...you will see a bigger commercial market...sponserships and shit.....but tha mixtape scence will still keep it dirty

According to other news sources, Russell Simmons is talking about the inconsistency of clean versions of rap songs, rather than censoring music as a whole. He says there should be a standard for clean versions of songs, rather than companies deciding which words are OK and which are not.

According to other news sources, Russell Simmons is talking about the inconsistency of clean versions of rap songs, rather than censoring music as a whole. He says there should be a standard for clean versions of songs, rather than companies deciding which words are OK and which are not.

Interesting, seems he's had his statements taken well out of context then

The TV networks censor shit as they see fit anyway, I wonder if it would make much difference? I'm not sure I care any more, it's become a very boring subject. Standardised censorship just doesn't work, never has done

Guest SirChick

Why do they always attack rap for this stuff.. films use these words no one gives a rats ass... yet if its its used in rap its the number 1 reason why there is guns in london's streets, i remember one 40 year old fat lady on the news blamed rap artists for it and used 50 cent as one of the examples.

Rap needs to be left alone its music at end of the day, and music is about freedom not constriction.