Sleazy Listening Mix

Wax On

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and it doesn't dissappoint...

dope

great tunes man... exactly what i wanted/needed....

got any more similar mixes???

oh yeah...

all vinyl??

i've been lookin for amhad jamal for a bit... aint no finding it in ireland for certain(obviously)

wicked, glad you like it

its the only pure jazz funk mix i've done ,i'm not too good at sticking to one genre. i wouldn't mind trying to put it out, or maybe re-doing it and making it longer, or i might try and do something similar but with a bit of juggling and cutting on it. i don't know how much mass appeal it holds though...

yeah its all vinyl, but i must admit a good chunk of it's from compilations...don't tell anyone though!

got the ahmad jamal off ebay, probably cost about £20 but its a dope album!

shite, i've sold about 4 copies. just been into town and dropped a few in clothes shops etc, don't know how much it'll help...i've not really pushed it yet cos i've been waiting/ hoping fo a few more magazine reviews, but we'll see what happens. next time i do one i'm gonna pay for promotion and get it distributed properly, its just been a cowboy effort with a steep learning curve really. also i've got an absolutely dire sales pitch, consisting of "do you want to buy a cd?"

haha yeah you're not the only one, i seem to think i'm gonna get women to fall in love with me by givin em copies of my mixes or my sleazy photos!!!

i need to rethink my strategy...though it is nice to think this mix may prove to be a tool of seduction for someone someday!

i've got a thing about flutes...

in a non gay way .... me too..

been goin mad for yusef lateef and herbie mann and others lately...

herbies Battle Hymn of the Republic is one of the greatest things i've ever heard...

i'm actually thinkin of buying one and getting lessons...

that or goin back to guitar..

yeah i've only heard a bit of herbie mann, but what i've heard's good, i'll try and check it out. Hubert Laws is a good 'un too...

i tried to learn flute back in the day, but the fingering is so much different to any instrument i've previously played, and i just wasn't devoted enough to try and get good. been playing guitar again recently though, probably played twice in the last 2 years until recently, and realised how much less co-ordinated with it i am

This was absolutely amazing.

I don't even know how to describe the music that this mix consists of, but its probably my overall favorite genre.

Can you please post a tracklist, I need to be schooled badly.

Also, this may be sort of a dumb question, i know the answer when mixing hip hop n shit, but when you're mixing very organic music like this, how do you get the mixes not to sound abrupt, not clashing, and more less on beat? Simple fader slamming will not accomplish that because you'll usually either get a clash or an abrupt disruption.

cheers man, glad you like it

heres the track listing:

INTRO (I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT THE SLEAZY BEAT IS, I'LL CHECK IT LATER THIS WEEK)

CONCERTO FOR JAZZ / ROCK ORCHESTRA PART II - STANLEY CLARKE

RED CLAY - JACK WILKINS

THE PETERMAN - BULLETT

I HAD A DREAM - HUBERT LAWS

DRAMA BLACKCLOTH - ALAN TEW

SALLY - FRANK PLEYER

DAYDREAM IN BLUE - GUNTHER KALLMANN CHOIR

JE T'AIME - JANE BIRKIN & SERGE GAINSBOURG

LIGHT MY FIRE - JOHNNY HARRIS

I GOT THE BLUES - LABI SIFFRE

MASH THEME - AHMAD JAMAL

JACOB'S LADDER - CEDAR WALTON

FAMILY AFFAIR - ???(OCTOPUS BREAKS CRACKER EDIT)

FEEL LIKE MAKIN' LOVE - ROY AYERS

JULIA - RAMSAY LEWIS

EVA - JEAN JACQUES PERREY

SOUNDS OF THE 70'S - SATIN BRASS

BULLITT (END TITLE) - LALO SCHIFFRIN

MESSIE BESIE - SHIRLEY SCOTT & THE SOUL SAXES

i multitracked it all, so that i could draw in all the fades exactly how i wanted, and sometimes with the way tunes speed up and slow down you have to do a lot to get them to mix, sometimes even learning real time pitch fader movement, cos if you speed up or slow stuff like this by touching the platter/record it can sound real nasty. also the thing with multitracking it is that you can really find the perfect place and way to mix each song.

hope this helps