CD decks - Buying advice

Dan

I'm looking at getting some cd decks main feature I need is compact size! I'd also like to be able to scratch (basic stuff) on them and use the wheel to nudge the pitch and cue tracks up. I don't really want to spend over 300 quid on each one, any suggestions? I don't need MP3 playback or fx as they are for use with SSL

don't know much abut cd decks, but if i was going to get them, i wouldn't entertain the thought of getting anything apart from cdj 1000's. they are better than the pioneer and numark ones, and are pretty much industry standard, so would be worth getting to grips with if you're gonna be gigging out.

sorry, i know thats no help. on the upside though, it's been a lovely day today.

agreed...

we have those and some denon ones and some pioneers...

the vestax are good for mixing on, sound reproduction on cuts is wierd tho (so much for the 'scratch filter for realistic and faithful sound' eh vestax??)

the dns100s are pretty good for being compact - smallest things ever!! almost fit in yer pocket!!!! no good for cuttin - but again - mixin etc is good...

id prob agree with phology - plump for the vestax!

Why do you want CD decks if you've got regular turntables and Serato?

I'm moving my set-up and the decks are too big for the space, so I need something smaller. i don't really cut anymore just mix so i've been looking at the denon s1000 however the 3500 looks very nice!! the numark axis 9 in cheap, as well.

anyone know a good place to test all this stuff out around sheffiedl way?

i used some numark cdx's at the weekend and they're nice, but they're the same size as turns so no use in your case :S I think my friend has some denon ones which I could scratch on reltively well.

my mate is of the opinion that the 800s are actually better than the 1000s if you're not going to get ridiculously technical and just mixing, because the cue and loop system is slightly simpler to use. apparently, anyway- i don't really like em. the denon 3500s are the best i've used due to the moving platter (easier to get my head around)...

I'm not too up on more recent units, but the Numark Axis range are heavily overlooked, especially at the price. Perhaps not quite what you're after though.

Even without having used one (hell, they're not out yet) it sounds to me like the VCI100 would be absolutely perfect for your type of requirements, and to be honest could offer a lot more too if you've got a laptop. It's a bit cheeky of me to offer up an unreleased product as an option, but this is the first time a purely controller device has been this solid and advanced, and at a decent price. Worth thinking about anyway