2 questions for any of you that mix

Steve

Getting the beats pretty much matched up only takes a few seconds but then there's the fine tuning bit which I spend a bit more time 30 secs or something sounds reasonable although I don't think you've got anything to worry about if you can do it in under 2 mins. If I'm playing out and I'm not gonna drop the tune in for a few mins I'll quite often play about making sure it's right during that time (either that or do something clever or talk to a mate or have a drink or whatever).

Saying that my mixing is pretty shit now because I don't practice much, getting very tight mixtape mixes for me takes a little while to get it in....however with most tunes I'm able to put the needle on the record stick the headphones on, cue the record, adjust the pitch a bit and then by the 2nd or 4th bar fade the tune in and keep the mix going (making little adjustments here and there as you go at first until it settles down), obviously you'll notice the roughness on a clean recording but I have no problem with doing it on a shit sound system in a club or something.

Shit, I need to have a mix, I don't think I've even bothered at all this year :(

Are you gonna get back into the live set stuff like Steve?

Maybe mate, although that isn't why I asked. I was having a discussion/argument with someone who said you should be getting tracks matched in 1 bar (literally a couple of seconds), which to me is ridiculous. I just wondered what everyone here thought.

^^ i can get it 90% matched within 1 bar. ;)

but i usually take about a minute to get it bang on.

So you would be confident enough to open the fader and mix the tunes after only 1 bar? With faster songs a bar could be 1-2 seconds.

I guess it depends if you have your tunes BPMed, cos if you do it's dead easy to get the two close, even if you don't listen to them at all. You're an MP3 jockey though ain't ya, so you probably press Control and M and it mixes the fuckers for you. :p

So you would be confident enough to open the fader and mix the tunes after only 1 bar? With faster songs a bar could be 1-2 seconds.

I guess it depends if you have your tunes BPMed, cos if you do it's dead easy to get the two close, even if you don't listen to them at all. You're an MP3 jockey though ain't ya, so you probably press Control and M and it mixes the fuckers for you. :p

yup, done it many times before live. no pre bpm'ing, both on mp3 and normal vinyl.

but, it's kinda pointless, more of a show-off type thing, i say take more time and perfect the mix before dropping it.

mp3 jock. pfffff. still have to mix that shit the same as you vinyl dinosaurs ;)

Yup, this sounds about right to me.....you see mixing gabba techno trains you well :p

I think I'll record a mix of me mixing quickly and post it up....maybe tomorrow ;)

mp3 jock. pfffff. still have to mix that shit the same as you vinyl dinosaurs

Rubbish. Final Scratch does all the mixing for you and you know it. In fact I bet you play a pre-made mix and mime to it, you shady scouser.

damn, caught out :(

Yup, this sounds about right to me.....you see mixing gabba techno trains you well :p

I think I'll record a mix of me mixing quickly and post it up....maybe tomorrow ;)

word :) straight in at the deep end.

Steve, nice one for starting this thread, as soon as I read it I just started mixing, first time this year, having a great laugh here, all tunes mixed from one to the other at the first oppotunity, it's great fun, I hate just standing around like a lemon waiting for somewhere to drop the next tune in (I'm not up for all that trance DJ wave your hands in the air like a retard for 5 mins while you wait for the break shit), that's why I learnt to scratch, well kind of scratch lol.

Just to expand on the beat matching process, I generally cue up the first beat and where the second beat lands give all the information I need to get the pitch to where it needs to be, everthing from that point on is millimeter adjustments (unless it's some fucked up tune with a fucked up intro and a fucked up beat lol).