Technics SL-1200MK2 Turntable

Hey mates, yet again, I am not around much, but I have some intresting specs that I am trying to figure out. I am looking at a Technics SL-1200MK2 Turntable. Does the table have a ground connection? I hope that it doesn't, because I am afraid of that. I have had some bad experience with ground connections. Give me some input please.

so, tell me though. Is that a bad thing? I mean, I haven't found too many mixers that would support grounds these days, and another fear. What Happens if the ground broke?

Yes all 1200/1210s have ground leads, the are just a wire with a spade connector on the end. Also all DJ mixers will have ground connectors on the back ( little screw which you use to screw the cable down with ). The fact is all turntables which don't have a pre-amp will have a ground lead, you can perform a mod strapping the ground to the - on the audio cable, however on some mixers it doesn't have the desired effect and it some cases it seems to be less effective.

Btw, it case you don't know the effect of not having a ground is normally a hum, sometimes it's quite quiet and sometimes it's really loud.

All I can say really is don't worry whether or not a turntable has a ground or not because all DJ mixers with Phono inputs will certainly have a ground connector on them.

Yes all 1200/1210s have ground leads, the are just a wire with a spade connector on the end. Also all DJ mixers will have ground connectors on the back ( little screw which you use to screw the cable down with ). The fact is all turntables which don't have a pre-amp will have a ground lead, you can perform a mod strapping the ground to the - on the audio cable, however on some mixers it doesn't have the desired effect and it some cases it seems to be less effective.

Btw, it case you don't know the effect of not having a ground is normally a hum, sometimes it's quite quiet and sometimes it's really loud.

All I can say really is don't worry whether or not a turntable has a ground or not because all DJ mixers with Phono inputs will certainly have a ground connector on them.

It's just a wire with a U at the end.

Literally, a -

U

|

|

|

|Technics turntable.|

| |

what they said....

Reason for the worry is because I had the stanton str8-60 truntables and one of them had a lose ground. So, I thought there was something to it. I see that the new Stanton t80's doesn't have one.

Is that a bad thing?

Nope. If anything, it's a very good thing!

I mean, I haven't found too many mixers that would support grounds these days
Which ones have you found that don't? I can't recall EVER seeing a mixer with phono preamps that doesn't have a ground connector. Even if it didn't, you could easily ground it on the body of the mixer somewhere anyway.

and another fear. What Happens if the ground broke?

Dead easy to fix. But I take your point; the ground wire is quite thin on the SL1200. What I did when I first got mine was to wind the ground lead around the RCA connectors, and stick a bit of spiral wrap around to keep 'em together:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...&doy=search

It's not adhesive, so you can remove it at any time. I love this stuff -it's great for tidying up cables in your PC.

K, when I get the tables here, I might have to look at that. I never done anything like that before. Yeah, I am purchasing some Technics. WhooooHooo. So, I sure hope to get the best out of them.