bpming records

TopherEightyFive

anyone have their collection bpm'd?

ive been djing for about 4 years now and havent bpm'd my records. i remember when i started i looked down upon it because i felt like i was cheating myself of how to beatmatch by ear and didnt look back. now that i know how to beatmatch, ive been thinking about it. recently, a veteran local dj was telling me some of his tricks and he told me that he bpm'd every record (and all tracks on each record just incase he wanted to throw in a b-side track on a lp). it got me thinking that it might be helpful for me because sometimes i think i know the approximate tempo to a song and when i que it up on my headphones, i figure that it wont work and have to scramble for another record. it hasnt become that much of a problem right now cause my record collection is relatively small but i imagine im not gonna remember approx tempos to songs when my collection gets bigger. i think itll help me pack a crate more effectively and thus help with quick mixing.

i bought some masking tape, sharpies and a stop watch.. and im just sitting here considering if i really want to do this. i think it can potentially help me immensely, i just cant get over one problem: i dont want to deface my sleeves with masking tape on the top of each (a la z-trip). i shouldnt really care i guess cause im not a collector, im a dj.. but it still makes me think twice. one good thing i can see coming from it is that it can help me organize my records cause alot of my records are in blank sleeves and i always end up putting things in the wrong place.

im just typing up my thoughts. sorry for the length. any thoughts?

I think it's a good idea. It's probably just a little daunting as you've got a whole collection to BPM, but once that's done it won't be so bad if you keep up to date. Can't you use stickers on the record sleeve, so you could peel them off?

BPM'ing, biggest bang for you pain

Seriously, BPM'ing is a really good idea. It will help you step your game up immensly. Once you have your current records done, you will be really happy you did it, you will start discovering all kinds of shit you didn't realize before.

The only issue is once you get new records, you're like "Damn, gotta BPM these mofo's" Other than that you will be patting yourself on the back uncontrollably. Also, fuck masking tape, go to Office Depot or Staples and getting filing stickers, much classier :) Prolly also a lot easier to read in the dark.

thanks for the input guys. heres what im doing so far:

(yes, i have polo bears on my bedsheets.. haha)

i started with putting a piece of masking tape across the top no matter if it was a picture sleeve or a blank. now im thinking if its a picutre sleeve ill just do it on the corner (like the one on the bottom) and if its a blank sleeve ill do a title across the top. anyway, im glad i dont have many records, otherwise id never want to start. what i have left to go:

You want ALL bpms to be in the top right hand corner Always. This way, when you're playing live, you can just lift up the record and see the BPM. Then, if you play the record and you leave the sleave lifted up on a diagnal (like most people) you can still see it.

Uniformity helps because, remember, you are doing this so that your mind can relax w/ the memorization of #s. You don't want to have to remember, "These kinds of records have the BPM her, but these have it there" etc. This is a tool to make your life easier so make sure you do that :)

no software is as accurate as counting. I've tried.

Erm, I've used various bits of software and most are bang on, they often have trouble some beats but for the the most part they're far more accurate that sitting there going 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

i wanted to archive my instrumentals to hard disk and bpm my 12"s so i record into soundforge then import into acid and use the auto bpm feature it asks if you want to do as it imports. takes about 10 secs to do once its recorded in. super accurate. much quicker and more accurate than counting.