Just pre-ordered a Wii

Steve

So much for my Wii: -

Dear Steve,

We are writing to let you know about the Nintendo Wii order you placed with us at HMV.co.uk.

We're very sorry to tell you that, because there weren't enough consoles available from the manufacturer, we'll be unable to fulfil your order on the first day of release. Sadly, the limited supply we received means that only those customers who placed their orders very early on will have a chance of getting their consoles in time for Christmas.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for my Wii: -

Dear Steve,

We are writing to let you know about the Nintendo Wii order you placed with us at HMV.co.uk.

We're very sorry to tell you that, because there weren't enough consoles available from the manufacturer, we'll be unable to fulfil your order on the first day of release. Sadly, the limited supply we received means that only those customers who placed their orders very early on will have a chance of getting their consoles in time for Christmas.

You never know Steve santa might come through for you this year :)

I havent really looked into the wii much but on watching the vid on youtube I realised this remote could spawn some wicked games.. and at that price you cant grumble.

Might even get myself one (after christmas)

I've just got one from Amazon and they are only taking pre-orders based on their allocation of consoles, so I should get it on December 8th. Also got Zelda, Red Steel and Wii Play which comes with a spare controller.

If anyone wants one, get on there quick before they sell out. They only started taking pre-orders about 5 minutes ago.

**EDIT**

They've sold out already.

• 3 weeks later...

aww man ur gonna have some fun with it. I had a go on one at my homies place, it was well entertaining. For sure wii sports is something you wanna play drunk and with some buddies. One thing that was kinda cool is my homie had some rubber skin on the outside of his wii remote so it had better grip and it seems to protect the remote from nicks and dents.

Guest pokemon sauce

yeah "Wii Sports" comes free with every console. it's not much though it's more of a tech demo for the wii-mote.

i was all into the wii when it was first announced but now it strikes me as gimmicky. i've been a hardcore console gamer for the past 12 years and i always love it when a company tries to innovate but this seems ridiculous.

if we take graphics into consideration then the wii dosen't stand a chance against the sex-box and the PS3. like alot of developers willing be shunning the console because it simply is not powerful enough. Zelda looks like a last gen game for fuck sake. if anybody has played Resident Evil 4 on the PS2 then they will know that it has better graphics...

also the fact that for the last 2 console generations each Nintendo console has only had a handful of worthy games (with most of these being 1st party developed games) makes me not wanna buy a Wii.

truth be told i prefer my megadrive to my SNES, Nintendo had the portable gaming market on lock and that's where they should have stayed.

if we take graphics into consideration then the wii dosen't stand a chance against the sex-box and the PS3. like alot of developers willing be shunning the console because it simply is not powerful enough.

I don't think the people buying the Wii are putting a huge emphasis on graphics, or they probably wouldn't be buying one. I've played lots of games on consoles that look fantastic, but I lose interest after an hour, so for me gameplay always comes first. From all the comments I've read from people I know that own one, gameplay is something the Wii definitely is not lacking, mostly due to the controller. Developing a game for the Wii is less than half as expensive as developing for the 360 or PS3 too, plus Nintendo provide excellent development tools, for example this: -

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2991739314359132538

if we take graphics into consideration then the wii dosen't stand a chance against the sex-box and the PS3. like alot of developers willing be shunning the console because it simply is not powerful enough. Zelda looks like a last gen game for fuck sake. if anybody has played Resident Evil 4 on the PS2 then they will know that it has better graphics...

also the fact that for the last 2 console generations each Nintendo console has only had a handful of worthy games (with most of these being 1st party developed games) makes me not wanna buy a Wii.

truth be told i prefer my megadrive to my SNES, Nintendo had the portable gaming market on lock and that's where they should have stayed.

alot of developers will shun the wii? i dont think so. take for example your the development costs of a game. for the ps 3 development can cost as much as 15million quid, whereas the wii development comes in at around 8million quid (thats nearly half!). if you sell the same ammount of games for each console, who is gonna make the money? its a business and becasue of this nintendo wins out.

zelda looks like a last gen game? thats because it was. it was supposed to come out for the gamecube but it was delayed untill the wii came out. infact if im not mistaken, it is coming out for the gamecube.

in terms of the big picture, lets see whats going on, shall we? the ps2 although massively sucessful, only just made a profit (in terms of hardware). the xbox actually lost money, yep it lost money! ok so the gamecube wasnt a great hit, but lets move on... the ps 3 is being sold at a loss of nearly £300 per console. so go out and buy a ps3 and help ruin playstaion ;) the wii on the other hand makes a profit for every console it sells because of its limited power. anyone with an ounce of business in them wont care who is best or worst, as long as you make money! at the moment nintendo is the only gaming company out there that is making money! its not as if they cant afford development costs, because they are apparently sitting on 5billion dollars that they made from the pokemon franchis, the ds and the ds lite.

Utter shit. EA games gave a lecture at my uni recently, and they were less than complimentary about the PS3 because the development costs are utterly ridiculous as the architecture is far from conventional. They readily admitted that they have very little grasp on how to code for the console and it will be a long time before they release anything worthwhile for it. And this is coming from EA games, who have a far bigger development budget than most.

As for Nintendo only having a 'few worthy titles' per console... are you crazy? What rock have you been living under? Nintendo set themselves apart by having far less cross-platform junk than the other consoles, and far more well-developed, platform specific titles. Have you even heard of Shigeru Miyamoto? The guy practically invented the smooth learning curve and progression that games today rely on. He heads a team that focuses on creating new ideas, and his influence is evident in pretty much everything Nintendo have ever put out. I'll accept that Nintendo's titles are not always to everyone's taste, but they turn out more ground-breaking ideas than anyone. Name me 5 titles for PS2/3 or Xbox/360 that can claim that.

I just got an email to say Zelda and Red Steel have been shipped, although I doubt I'll get them until Monday now.

Pete - If you haven't bought it already, get yourself a copy of Wii Play. The games are along the line of Wii Sports, basic kinda stuff, but it comes with a remote. It's only £3 more than buying a remote on it's own.

I'm impressed with the Wii. Playing the games with the remote is just so natural. I think the only thing that lets it down is the amount of room you need. The living room in my house isn't big enough for a 4 player tennis match. lol.

I can't wait to get some "proper" games for it now, but it's bloody typical - the local newspaper arrived and the main story on the front page was about all the postmen in Stafford being on strike tomorrow, so it'll definitely be Monday now before I get Red Steel and Zelda.

Guest pokemon sauce
Utter shit. EA games gave a lecture at my uni recently, and they were less than complimentary about the PS3 because the development costs are utterly ridiculous as the architecture is far from conventional. They readily admitted that they have very little grasp on how to code for the console and it will be a long time before they release anything worthwhile for it. And this is coming from EA games, who have a far bigger development budget than most.

As for Nintendo only having a 'few worthy titles' per console... are you crazy? What rock have you been living under? Nintendo set themselves apart by having far less cross-platform junk than the other consoles, and far more well-developed, platform specific titles. Have you even heard of Shigeru Miyamoto? The guy practically invented the smooth learning curve and progression that games today rely on. He heads a team that focuses on creating new ideas, and his influence is evident in pretty much everything Nintendo have ever put out. I'll accept that Nintendo's titles are not always to everyone's taste, but they turn out more ground-breaking ideas than anyone. Name me 5 titles for PS2/3 or Xbox/360 that can claim that.

EA can take a running jump, their like the g-unit of the video game world.

for N64 and gamecube (which i owned) what good titles were there, seriously?? i'm thinking right now and all the worthy games for those console were first party.

PS3 and Xbox360 titles which are worthy?? well i admit that for the last gen Xbox only had the Halo franchise and few other games developed by former dreamcast developers that went under the radar of most, but the PS2 had hella titles all day every day, come on did you even own a PS2??

As for Nintendo only having a 'few worthy titles' per console... are you crazy? What rock have you been living under? Nintendo set themselves apart by having far less cross-platform junk than the other consoles, and far more well-developed, platform specific titles. Have you even heard of Shigeru Miyamoto?

what?!!?! massive respect to my man Miyamoto but come on, last gen- Mario Sunshine, Zelda: The Wind Waker... ROCK SOLID titles but there was nothing special about these games minus the nostalgia fact.

and i ain't personally feeling the controller, i know that they sell a kinda of old-school, more traditional control but still most games are being developed to be played with this wonky thing, i think nintendo are again isolating themselves for third-party consoles (not really a problem as most all consoles titles suck balls)

if any body can name me a bunch of solid titles for N64 and Gamecube i'll go and eat my face off

for N64 and gamecube (which i owned) what good titles were there, seriously??

Soul Calibur II, Tony Hawk, Resident Evil 4, Splinter Cell. I've never owned either of those consoles, but I've played those games and they were all good. I'm sure someone else who owned either of those consoles could name more.

Personally I couldn't give a shit whose name is on the box of electronics in front of my TV, as long as I enjoy playing the games and can warrant the expense. PS3 is too expensive for me. Xbox 360 looks great, but I wanted to try the new approach to gaming that the Wii offered and if I end up not liking it, I'll just sell it. I can never really understand these "my console is better than yours" arguments (although playing Devil's advocate to wind up the fanboys can be fun) cos the only thing that matters is if the person playing the game is enjoying it, regardless of the platform.

I was dying to buy another game, so I got Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam. It gets mixed reviews on the web, but I quite like it. It's a racing game, so it's quite different from the previous Hawk titles. It's fucking manic though. It's pretty fast, and you have to tilt the remote to steer, use the directional pad to punch and kick the other racers, and use the 1 and 2 buttons to jump and pull off tricks. It'll be cool when the online play is sorted too.

I've been hooked on Zelda and Wii boxing for the last 3 days/nights now.

Addictive stuff it is!

she keeps telling us to stop swearing at the tv but after 20 minutes she was calling it a cheating tosser! lol

I think I'm on the verge of this point, I'm fairly far in boxing and the opponents are getting fairly tricky to combo.

Also, I'm finding Wii golf to be the most frustrating when I try to control the strength of my putt, I'm finding it quite difficult.