13 Minute VIDEO of a Freestyle Live Scratch Jam Session

Vet

Sup guys, just thought I would share this with you all (I'm only posting this here on this board for now)...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PU6ZIKQ7

This is from a turntable based series of shows we have been doing every few months called "Palette" which was created by InsideAMind (a Toronto scratch music band).

Its about 13:30min long and the 2 musicians playing with me are Garen Markarian (on steel string guitar) and Wally Mierzwa on the Djembe. This was the FIRST time we had ever played or practiced together keep in mind....I just had some basic ideas pre done on the loopstation (rc-20xl) and a bunch of pre marked samples and possible song combinations I could do and I just picked them at random to create the set as the emphasis on these shows is the IMPROV aspect. I hope you all enjoy

P.s. I also did the intro music and edited in photography from the show as there were many other talented musicians involved in the show. The handstyle tag in the intro is done by DEZ who does some SICK pieces and artwork HERE --> DEZ's MYSPACE PAGE

P.P.s - The sound is a bit off as the camera was on TOP of a speaker and behind the house speakers so its not as clean as it could have been but nevertheless listenable.

All comments and such are welcomed.

Peace guys!

- Vet

yeah very nice man, and you ended it dope too...

looks like a nice setup yous have..

I'm in the process of converting to all analog and possibly a controller one if I can get one around these parts for a good price...just got a ttm56 as well...I literally sold the mixer in that set right after I was done my set. ha.

nice man i enjoyed it a lot. reminded me on gunkhole..no miracle though, i think i heard your interpretation of "the chase" ;). Do you miss the Eternal fader btw?

No miracle though? What does that mean lol..? Also...I'm not even sure what "the chase" is....which song are you referring to? Maybe you can post a comparison? The eternal fader is nice but I just didn't trust the 360 HAK that much... in the long run I prefer the Rane ttm56 just because the thing is a tank and I know it will last me a long time.

Thanks for checkin the video.

Wasn't really the type of music i'd listen too.

But it was done well. I actually thought it was better than any gunkhole shit i've heard. some people just cant see past names

Keep it going Real-Izm

Wasn't really the type of music i'd listen too.

But it was done well. I actually thought it was better than any gunkhole shit i've heard. some people just cant see past names

Keep it going Real-Izm

Thanks Ryan, its not normally the type of music I perform live either but its dope you appreciate it anyway. I just wanted to do something most people wouldn't associate with 'scratching' for that show...no ahhhh's or fresh's...no dark techy beats (which I love too at times). Especially here in Toronto (and most places) its a social science experiement in a sense as most people either have no concept of what can be done with turntables....or alternately think its only battle style and nothing else.

Anyhow I don't want to over analyze things but never the less thanks for the words and taking time to check it out Ryan.

p.s. what genres/styles would you like to see as a listener??...I'm always trying to do new things...looking to do some live dub style songs soon with a 4-5 piece ensemble.

nice man i enjoyed it a lot. reminded me on gunkhole..no miracle though, i think i heard your interpretation of "the chase" ;). Do you miss the Eternal fader btw?

No miracle though? What does that mean lol..? Also...I'm not even sure what "the chase" is....which song are you referring to? Maybe you can post a comparison? The eternal fader is nice but I just didn't trust the 360 HAK that much... in the long run I prefer the Rane ttm56 just because the thing is a tank and I know it will last me a long time.

hm, i just listened again and my association wasnt really in a normal listeners reach.. :s

however, this wasnt ment as criticism, i though it was intential..like jazz musicians do their interpretations of tracks...

i didnt find that vid of gunkhole performing it so here is an mp3 of it.

that stuff you are doing 9:3x - 10:30 reminded me on that but i wont suggest it is even close after listening to your stuff and that gunkhole track again..so sorry. :$

hm, i just listened again and my association wasnt really in a normal listeners reach.. :s

however, this wasnt ment as criticism, i though it was intential..like jazz musicians do their interpretations of tracks...

i didnt find that vid of gunkhole performing it so here is an mp3 of it.

that stuff you are doing 9:3x - 10:30 reminded me on that but i wont suggest it is even close after listening to your stuff and that gunkhole track again..so sorry. :$

Its cool man, I just didn't know what you were referring to and was curious.....and listening now I see what you mean but at the same time it was definetely unintentional. I thought maybe I had used sample they used or something.

Anyhow, no harm no foul, thanks again for checkin it out!

i just watched it again and it's just STRAIGHT DOPE!!! it's great how ya'll were vibing together. the track on the intro is class too btw...

i discussed on that topic with j walker along time ago: although i LOVE all skratched music, i think as far as live-gigs are concerned some kind of "spontaneous percussion" ( mpc, live drummers/ percussionists rtc) + have the dj's doing the leads, pads and solos or just improvizing is where it's at. having all skratched music done live and without sounding stiff sometimes (especially on the drums) is a lot harder imo...

finally got round to watching this (thanks for the heads up nino), this is good stuff man. As someone that does this kinda stuff pretty regular I can see that you all vibe pretty well together. It seems that it would be worth doing more of this kinda stuff as you all seem fairly natural at doing it.

Its damn good fun doing it though innit?

I jam with our band (2 on turntables, tall dood on keys and samplers, a female singer and a drummer) once a week and I still dont get bored.

I know most people on here dont really like the Gunkhole thing, each to their own n all that, but its pretty good fun jamming with people with other intruments.

One day I will get round to posting stuff!

Anyway Real-izm, keep on keepin on

finally got round to watching this (thanks for the heads up nino), this is good stuff man. As someone that does this kinda stuff pretty regular I can see that you all vibe pretty well together. It seems that it would be worth doing more of this kinda stuff as you all seem fairly natural at doing it.

Its damn good fun doing it though innit?

I jam with our band (2 on turntables, tall dood on keys and samplers, a female singer and a drummer) once a week and I still dont get bored.

I know most people on here dont really like the Gunkhole thing, each to their own n all that, but its pretty good fun jamming with people with other intruments.

One day I will get round to posting stuff!

Anyway Real-izm, keep on keepin on

Oh dope! Its funny how I find more and more people doin music like this...that's a little more incorporative with turntables and other gear with traditional instrumentation. I don't even label it 'scratch music' anymore...I mean when youre playing within a group it sounds so ego-centric to say its only scratch/turntable music, you know?

Yeah it would be dope to see what you are up to....I enjoy seeing other perspectives on music....was just watching Zen Bungalow actually...those guys are pretty dope too.

...anyway..yeah..post up when you get a chance! pz.