Juggling.... it does nothing for me

Sir Dongbot

I mean who here who doesn't play the guitar actually likes any music with guitars in it...none of course!

I DO !! i'll listen to all sorts of music dont care what the instrumentation is as long as i'm feeling it.

you serious? I really can't relate to that at all!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry bout the length.. i never usually type this long...

i think it seems harder to be original in juggling, and it doesn't seem to have developed as obviously as scratchin, or been developed by as many people as scratchin...

and there's tutorials and basically/nearly rules for scratchin at this stage... so it is kinda easier to gain a good level in scratchin... and thats why scratchin has developed further...

and the fuck ups in scratchin are less noticable as you aren't creating the timing of the beat like you are in juggling, where its up to you to keep it on meter...

a bad scratcher just sounds bad, a bad juggler sounds awful ...

but yeah i know mates who dont scratch that hate jugglin but like a good bit of scratchin... and vice versa...

-thats the horrible thing about this planet "diversity and opinions..." :x

but i kinda think its partly the hard work to be a good juggler that stops a lot of people, and even amazing scratchers, from battling or just juggling in general...

coz if your a good enough scratcher and you're only comin up with shit juggles its tough... i know i've been there...

i've done a few juggles that i'm happy with but they have taken work... and now i'm finding it quite tough to find new ones... where as i think i seem to have scratch routines comin out of my arse these days...

( although a new debate is dope scratchers vs dope scratch routines...)

coz i know a lot of dope scratchers i've heard do wicked aaah cuts, but can they apply it to a scratch routine for showcase or battle or a live tune or just to create something thats not "freestyle"??

... but then again maybe some people wanna create music or some wanna just solely twiddle about....

I like both...

actually yeah this is a different point thats probably already been butchered...

i'm sure we can name 10 really dope scratchers on this site(even without Ryan!) but i know i couldn't name 10 really dope jugglers...

elgee for 1

2tall when he does..

muzzel obviously,

actually i'm sure a few others here that have entered dmc and shit are good....

but anyway its obviously mostly people who've been in battles..

(if you are dope and i haven't mentioned you , post some shit!, and sorry for being ignorant!)

so maybe people just dont like it and only do it for battles...

but then again, tell me you can't not enjoy finally gettin a dope juggle to work out... and i call you a lie-sak!

me, i'm really thinkin of tryin to improve hard for this year...

just last night i went through about 5 different copies of doubles of shit to try and find bits..

partly due to elgee's vids coz he's the only one i see here postin juggle vids... and it is somethin that i need fb on so apologies in advance for pms of vids i want you to screen for quality...

its probably the bit that'll stress me most about my dmc set... 2 months and counting!

or maybe this is all wank..

Well said :d

Before I make my point let me start by saying that I respect the talent & hard work from the dj that goes into making a good juggle during a battle set.  But am I the only one who gets bored by juggles that basically sound boring, uninspirational & flat?

When listening to battles I find myself basically waiting for the juggle to end & to hear a bit of cutting.

Your thoughts....

I just think it's crazy you're even saying that! What's not boring in life!? Eat, sleep, fuck, shit! Right??? *Basically* everything is repetition--juggling is just as repetitive as scratching, or basketball or soccer or even fucking hiphop! If you get bored by a juggle then I can only assume that hiphop beats bore the shit outta ya! They just repeat and repeat and repeat... but you see, the intrinsic value is more than just being something new every time--it's being dope every time.. and being dope is impossible to reason. I just can't belive your saying that crap. Either you pissed cause you can't juggle or you just don't get it... kida like Akakabe or even JK--those fools have amazing juggle routines but they are just over most people's head so they don't get no respect. I bet your watching the world cup right now as you were saying that crap--watching people run in circles on a square and kick a ball over, and over, and over--like that's not the most boring thing in the world! (not to diss soccer cause I'm a big sports fan but just as an example--btw--go Portugal and Brazil!) fucking-a tho! I can understand being like "I can't wait for this DJ to finish--everything he does is fucking boring" but seriously do dog juggling is fucked up. I'd seriously like to hear a file of yours to see how boring your juggles are. :@

LOL!!!

Before I make my point let me start by saying that I respect the talent & hard work from the dj that goes into making a good juggle during a battle set.  But am I the only one who gets bored by juggles that basically sound boring, uninspirational & flat?

When listening to battles I find myself basically waiting for the juggle to end & to hear a bit of cutting.

Your thoughts....

I just think it's crazy you're even saying that! What's not boring in life!? Eat, sleep, fuck, shit! Right??? *Basically* everything is repetition--juggling is just as repetitive as scratching, or basketball or soccer or even fucking hiphop! If you get bored by a juggle then I can only assume that hiphop beats bore the shit outta ya! They just repeat and repeat and repeat... but you see, the intrinsic value is more than just being something new every time--it's being dope every time.. and being dope is impossible to reason. I just can't belive your saying that crap. Either you pissed cause you can't juggle or you just don't get it... kida like Akakabe or even JK--those fools have amazing juggle routines but they are just over most people's head so they don't get no respect. I bet your watching the world cup right now as you were saying that crap--watching people run in circles on a square and kick a ball over, and over, and over--like that's not the most boring thing in the world! (not to diss soccer cause I'm a big sports fan but just as an example--btw--go Portugal and Brazil!) fucking-a tho! I can understand being like "I can't wait for this DJ to finish--everything he does is fucking boring" but seriously do dog juggling is fucked up. I'd seriously like to hear a file of yours to see how boring your juggles are. :@

Did i ever state I was a great juggler? - No

Did I ever state that there is no talent in juggling? - No

Did I ever state I dont like the beats associated with the juggles themselves? - No

Did I ever rubbish anyone personally? - No

I was merely pointing out that 9/10 juggles bore the fuck out of me!! I couldn't give a flying fuck if that offends you or not to be honest. How you can assume that hip hop beats don't interest me because of my distaste for the majority of juggles is absolute shit.

I'm expressing an opinion, which is what forums are for, so you might wanna consider that the next time someone offers something that you dont agree with, instead of getting on your high horse an trash talking me...

ohhh & by the way it's FOOTBALL not soccer you twat!!!!!!!!! :p

Your thoughts....

yeah, i dont really care much for juggles either.. its too much ""technical"" noise/nosense. when i first started getting interested in turntablism i liked watching juggles tho.. i can still enjoy a more old school style juggle like ptrix and such (ok i know ptrix isnt really old shool but you get the point :) )

yo

I like to juugle a lil bit because I think it is fun. Themuscle memory it takes is fun. That kinda zone you have to get in to get it working and on time. I like to use doubles or two different records. ALso juggling melodies on top of a beat is fun too.

The best juggles IMO are based on the melodies and the musicality with a sense of structure. (tigerstyle, dopey, etc.."

The stale juggles are based only on technical skills and speed. IMO

i find its all about the tunes you buy too,

i dont really buy tunes that much anymore ,

so most of my juggles are with old tunes which are usally pretty boring

for juggles.

pros have all the nice beats to fuck with where as peeps who are not on promo lists and so on have to learn with what they have .

peeps like pfel would be boring without his selfpresse's and that goes for a lot of pro's.

imo

yea i dont really enjoy juggles.... even good ones. they have to be incredibly good for me to enjoy it. But i appreciate them, but if like in a video someone starts juggling i tend to skip it.

Guest Vekked

elgee - I feel you on the doubles thing, I can't make 2 different records work a lot of times either...

It's the end result, not the process I'm talking about. Using the DVD example, you don't have to understand exactly how a DVD works, you simply need to understand  what you're watching.

Sure - I do know how a DJ goes about deconstructing a beat and the skill involved, but if I have no idea what's being pulled apart, how can I hope to understand and enjoy the end result?

I dunno, a lot of my favourite juggles are with tracks I've never heard before the juggle, like troubl's prefuse, some of merge's 03/04 juggles, a-trak's jay-z juggle, jr. flo's 2001 juggles... all tracks that I don't know the names of even, but juggles I love to watch... I actually prefer that someone flips something that I don't know, or something that doesn't seem likely to be juggled usually (cept a-trak's missy, and klever's whats your fantasy, amazing juggles like that), because then I can appreciate the juggles, and what the final product sounds like without thinking about what they're doing to it... later, once I want to figure out what they're doing with it, I'll search out the track and see what the original sounds like, but usually that's only for studying purposes and improving my own juggling

@craigdog - have you juggled much before? just wondering, because before I started juggling (last september or something) I thought juggling was straight wack and unnecessary, but then I saw one of elgee's vids, then I picked up a couple copies of beats for jugglers 3 and started getting my juggle on, and right now I actually juggle more than I cut in a day, just because lately I've been more inspired and see more possibilities... like with scratching it's hard to think of something and be like 'whoa, I've never seen that done before', but with juggling, I find different beats bring out so many different patterns, and sometimes I bust patterns that I've never seen done, because there's so much unexplored territory with juggling, and so many patterns, even more than scratching really simply because you can throw all of your scratching patterns into your juggles, but you can't throw your juggling patterns into your scratches (well most of them)

but yea, I think it's hard to compare juggling to cutting because they're in different stages right now... like right now scratching is done more outside of battles than in battles, and juggling is rarely done outside of battles... so the same people who don't like battles, won't like juggling, but as soon as Q drops DIY 3: Juggling, the ruck drop Jugglebook, people start making juggle music, and posting files of freestyling juggles, everyone's gonna be juggling... like there are different ways to use juggling that people aren't looking at, like when you say you don't like a juggle, you're saying you don't like a battle juggle routine usually, which is like saying you don't like a scratch set, but because you don't like battle scratch sets, doesn't mean you don't like scratching... like juggling can just be on a raw break to make a drum beat to back a track, and in that sense, is just like scratch drumming, with even less limits... or like gabe brought up, it can be juggling a melody, like woody... and I doubt you could take that sample and scratch out a melody close to that...

IMO saying you don't like juggling is usually due to not being good at it, or not looking at the possibilities musically and outside of battling, and anyone who says they don't like the sound of juggling ever is full of b.s. because if someone just takes a drum break and flips it into another one, what's not to like about the sound? you can make some nasty azz beats with juggling that people won't be touching with just cutting, mainly because you aren't so limited to just 1 hit at a time, or just kick and snare, you have an entire break, with melody, rolls, etc, all at your disposal, and you can always throw drumming patterns in with your juggle too...

but yea, sorry about the essay, but that's what I think, I think it's naive to say that you don't like juggling as far as the sound goes, because in saying that, you're saying you know everything that juggling could sound like, and you don't like any of it, and you're essentially saying that you don't like any of the material that can be juggled too in a way, because if someone's flipping a beat a little bit, and you don't like the sound, it's probably the beat that sounds bad in the first place... you just can't make some beats sound good, just like you just can't make some scratch samples sound good...

uh ya, 1.

The reason I like juggles is cause of the live remix value--being able to slap down a track, flip it and be like "see, that's what the producer shoulda made it sound like" and everyone's like "ooooh" and the fucking flipping it again and everyone is just like DAMN! That's what does it for me. Scratching is fucking amazing, but you just can't do ^^that with a cut.

...I personally think it's easier to juggle different records cause you have more to deal with w/o the repeatitiveness. I juggle the shit outta doubles too, but think it's harder to keep it sounding fresh and new. This thread makes me wanna practice--barely done shit all year!