Juggling.... it does nothing for me

Sir Dongbot

Before I make my point let me start by saying that I respect the talent & hard work from the dj that goes into making a good juggle during a battle set. But am I the only one who gets bored by juggles that basically sound boring, uninspirational & flat?

When listening to battles I find myself basically waiting for the juggle to end & to hear a bit of cutting.

Your thoughts....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my thoughts are that most peeps who diss juggles cant actually juggle that well them selves, its the same with cutting .

i do it my self with cutting, i hear one of those mad slow meaningfull cut files and it usally bores me to death as i dont understand it all.

Should you have to be able to understand it to enjoy it though?

Of course you have to understand it, the only reason people slate the Ruck is because they don't understand his music!

I mean who here who doesn't play the guitar actually likes any music with guitars in it...none of course!

Of course. How can you enjoy something you don't understand?

Here's the thing with juggling - often times a DJ will grab some obscure beat and do some mental shit that only they can get through repeated spinning of the same beat. To the crowd it's lost and soon descends into a total mess. If however, they take a very well known tune that the crowd can follow and flip the fuck out of it, juggling becomes good.

I'm sure the technical skill of jugglers in next level but more often than not, heads stop nodding when a juggle is in full flow.

That's just my non-juggling no skill opinion.

hmmm...

i bet theres a million and one things, even everyday things that you dont understand properly, yet still fully enjoy.

i enjoy watching dvd's....fucked if i know how they get teh little silver records to make the pretty pictures though....is this a suitable example?

i enjoy watching triple anal, but i'm fucked if i know how you can put your todger next to 2 other fellas and still get em up some slappers colon shute...better?

hmmm...

i bet theres a million and one things, even everyday things that you dont understand properly, yet still fully enjoy.

i enjoy watching dvd's....fucked if i know how they get teh little silver records to make the pretty pictures though....is this a suitable example?

i enjoy watching triple anal, but i'm fucked if i know how you can put your todger next to 2 other fellas and still get em up some slappers colon shute...better?

hahahaha

great examples

At some of the dmc heats there were some fools who would start a juggle with a well known record and do this massive build up.... then nothing! They'll just repeat what they just did! Really annoyed me! I mean.. i try not to blow the trumpet (no gay jokes please! haha) but at least when i juggle it has an intro, a build up, then the main part to it, then an outro. Peepz are just cutting the fuck out of tunez willy nilly when really they need to be broken down and flipped into your own composition. Other wise you might aswell just play the fuckin record! (not taking into consideration nice beat repeats on mixtapes though. they still work to a certain degree)

I agree with Steve. Why do you HAVE to understand something in order to be allowed enjoy it?? Thats bollox and elitist. Does that mean i cant look at one Dali or Kinisky's paintings and not enjoy it unless i can fully comprehend its nature? i think not.

I mean who here who doesn't play the guitar actually likes any music with guitars in it...none of course!

Any im sorry x2k but thats one of the most rediculous statements ive ever heard. Loads of people dont play guitar and still love guitar music.

It's the end result, not the process I'm talking about. Using the DVD example, you don't have to understand exactly how a DVD works, you simply need to understand what you're watching.

Sure - I do know how a DJ goes about deconstructing a beat and the skill involved, but if I have no idea what's being pulled apart, how can I hope to understand and enjoy the end result?

If it makes your head nod and it sounds funky then you shouldnt really need to understand it. Or maybe thats just me.

It's all down to personal taste i suppose. Some people dont like fat birds. But they make a crackin fry up in the morning!! haha (only messin :p)

Each to there own init.

Any im sorry x2k but thats one of the most rediculous statements ive ever heard. Loads of people dont play guitar and still love guitar music.

I don't believe you, post an understandable guitar file bitch!

I DO !! i'll listen to all sorts of music dont care what the instrumentation is as long as i'm feeling it. if thats how ya feel youre missing out on a whole heap of quality music mate. its a bit like a mate of mine who wont watch black n white films the classics he's missed out on ....

sorry bout the length.. i never usually type this long...

i think it seems harder to be original in juggling, and it doesn't seem to have developed as obviously as scratchin, or been developed by as many people as scratchin...

and there's tutorials and basically/nearly rules for scratchin at this stage... so it is kinda easier to gain a good level in scratchin... and thats why scratchin has developed further...

and the fuck ups in scratchin are less noticable as you aren't creating the timing of the beat like you are in juggling, where its up to you to keep it on meter...

a bad scratcher just sounds bad, a bad juggler sounds awful ...

but yeah i know mates who dont scratch that hate jugglin but like a good bit of scratchin... and vice versa...

-thats the horrible thing about this planet "diversity and opinions..." :x

but i kinda think its partly the hard work to be a good juggler that stops a lot of people, and even amazing scratchers, from battling or just juggling in general...

coz if your a good enough scratcher and you're only comin up with shit juggles its tough... i know i've been there...

i've done a few juggles that i'm happy with but they have taken work... and now i'm finding it quite tough to find new ones... where as i think i seem to have scratch routines comin out of my arse these days...

( although a new debate is dope scratchers vs dope scratch routines...)

coz i know a lot of dope scratchers i've heard do wicked aaah cuts, but can they apply it to a scratch routine for showcase or battle or a live tune or just to create something thats not "freestyle"??

... but then again maybe some people wanna create music or some wanna just solely twiddle about....

I like both...

actually yeah this is a different point thats probably already been butchered...

i'm sure we can name 10 really dope scratchers on this site(even without Ryan!) but i know i couldn't name 10 really dope jugglers...

elgee for 1

2tall when he does..

muzzel obviously,

actually i'm sure a few others here that have entered dmc and shit are good....

but anyway its obviously mostly people who've been in battles..

(if you are dope and i haven't mentioned you , post some shit!, and sorry for being ignorant!)

so maybe people just dont like it and only do it for battles...

but then again, tell me you can't not enjoy finally gettin a dope juggle to work out... and i call you a lie-sak!

me, i'm really thinkin of tryin to improve hard for this year...

just last night i went through about 5 different copies of doubles of shit to try and find bits..

partly due to elgee's vids coz he's the only one i see here postin juggle vids... and it is somethin that i need fb on so apologies in advance for pms of vids i want you to screen for quality...

its probably the bit that'll stress me most about my dmc set... 2 months and counting!

or maybe this is all wank..

Before I make my point let me start by saying that I respect the talent & hard work from the dj that goes into making a good juggle during a battle set.  But am I the only one who gets bored by juggles that basically sound boring, uninspirational & flat?

When listening to battles I find myself basically waiting for the juggle to end & to hear a bit of cutting.

Your thoughts....

I just think it's crazy you're even saying that! What's not boring in life!? Eat, sleep, fuck, shit! Right??? *Basically* everything is repetition--juggling is just as repetitive as scratching, or basketball or soccer or even fucking hiphop! If you get bored by a juggle then I can only assume that hiphop beats bore the shit outta ya! They just repeat and repeat and repeat... but you see, the intrinsic value is more than just being something new every time--it's being dope every time.. and being dope is impossible to reason. I just can't belive your saying that crap. Either you pissed cause you can't juggle or you just don't get it... kida like Akakabe or even JK--those fools have amazing juggle routines but they are just over most people's head so they don't get no respect. I bet your watching the world cup right now as you were saying that crap--watching people run in circles on a square and kick a ball over, and over, and over--like that's not the most boring thing in the world! (not to diss soccer cause I'm a big sports fan but just as an example--btw--go Portugal and Brazil!) fucking-a tho! I can understand being like "I can't wait for this DJ to finish--everything he does is fucking boring" but seriously do dog juggling is fucked up. I'd seriously like to hear a file of yours to see how boring your juggles are. :@