earplugs

saw dj hype last night, ad came back and my ears were ringing. woke up this morning, and they are still ringing, even now at just gone 4pm. i'm not realyl too worried as yet because it's getting better and i can barely notice it, but the sound system wasn't all that loud last night and it wasn't the 1st time it's happened to me. i'm thinking i might have sensitive ears or summat. anyways, i was thinking about getting some earplugs for clubs and stuff, anyone use them or got and recommendations? i don't really fancy paying 170 quid for them, but i guess i should if i have to!

ta...

This place has them http://www.sensorcom.com/ (recommended by Trick on the Nut)...

The ones in particular art the Alpine Music Safe Earplugs (scroll to the Musicians Earplugs section) on this page...

http://www.sensorcom.com/musicians.asp

They come in a handy carry case, are adjustable to 2 volumes, sound quite good when using them and cost under £15...bargin & well recommended!

as far as i know the cheap earplugs do mainly block the high frequencies, so when you put them on you get this bassy sound like when you put the fingers in your ears.

but i spoke to an ear-doctor the other day and he told me there were "frequency-independent" earplugs, which cost around 150 euros/ 100 quid - that's a little too expensive to me though.

you spend #100's on vinyl decks mixers etc...but you wont pay #100 on something which will save you hearing...

as far as i know the cheap earplugs do mainly block the high frequencies, so when you put them on you get this bassy sound like when you put the fingers in your ears.

but i spoke to an ear-doctor the other day and he told me there were "frequency-independent" earplugs, which cost around 150 euros/ 100 quid - that's  a little too expensive to me though.

Actually the ones I mentioned do a pretty good job across all frequencies, I'd post the actually values but I can't be bothered...you put them in and horribly loud music actually starts to sound better and clearer right across the frequency spectrum....true they might not be as good as the 150 quid ones but they're less than a tenth of the price...trust me, it's 15 quid well spent!

Bass frequencies don't damage your hearing as much as higher frequencies do anyway, so even your run-of-the-mill £3 jobs from Boots will do a decent job of protecting your hearing.

It's to do with the way the high frequency receptors in your ear are positioned. It's the same reason why you start to lose the high frequencies first when your hearing starts to deteriorate.

my mate who plays in a jazz band has some ER-45's (??) ans says its helped him so much to listen to himself playing and also no ringing in ears anymore...dont shure do some custom moulded earplugs with earphones nside...that would be great.

but even your average arco range will be better than nothing