Ableton Looping

TyraFromSaigon

You know how Excess and 2tall uses ableton (I assume 2tall does) for live turntable compositions.....like when they will program drums, instruments, samples with turntables and use a midi pedal to loop it on Ableton Live? Does anyone on this board know how to do that?

I have Ableton but I dont have a pedal, I just need to know what kind to get. Excess uses a midi but I dont know what kind and I dont know where to go...... I want to make some live turntable compositions without using a Loop Pedal ie RC20 or something like that. I just want to utilize my ableton and I have no idea how to! Any suggestions or help setting this up for me would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Technically retarded Tyra

You know how Excess and 2tall uses ableton (I assume 2tall does) for live turntable compositions.....like when they will program drums, instruments, samples with turntables and use a midi pedal to loop it on Ableton Live? Does anyone on this board know how to do that?

I have Ableton but I dont have a pedal, I just need to know what kind to get. Excess uses a midi but I dont know what kind and I dont know where to go...... I want to make some live turntable compositions without using a Loop Pedal ie RC20 or something like that. I just want to utilize my ableton and I have no idea how to! Any suggestions or help setting this up for me would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Technically retarded Tyra

I'm on msn u nerd, why don't u just ask me.

Aight did some research didn't find much, but I saw a video of Kid Beyond on the Ableton site. He uses the type of setup we're talking about here and he loops his beatboxes and lyrics. Basically his pedal setup is a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro Footboard runs about $400USD.

Then he uses some software which converts MIDI to Keystrokes, so that converts the MIDI signals to keyboard strokes. Then he assigns certain keyboard keys to the MIDI switches so that's how it controls Ableton. Its just like using a keyboard on your feet. So I guess the more switches on the footboard the more you can program? Makes sense to me. Sounds too complicated, I'm not too sure on how MIDI works exactly, or if there is a cheaper but similar setup? MIDI programing is just a little far out of my baseball field.

Someone mentioned on a guitar forum that the Behringer FCB1010 (I know what your thinking) is actually half decent for $200USD. But if its going to cost around $400 for a decent setup, I think I'd prefer to go with a hardware looper.

Hope that helps cutie :$

Edited by Hertzworth

Yeah I don't think it's *THAT* easy to do in Ableton, though it should be possible. It makes my head hurt when I think how you would get it working.

You can get simple loop style plugins or standalone apps I think. There was a long thread in the Ableton forums about how you would do it. I've never felt the desire to make live looping compositions so never followed it up. Would be quite a good article to write for Skratchworx though I suppose. Mmmm.

unless you are big foot or hate looking like a complete wally in private couldnt you just use your computer keyboard as the footpedal? i know you can assign diffent keys on the keyboard to trigger different events. so for example if you have your first layer record as the ctrl key, then alt key for the second track and space for say the third and so on all the way along the bottom row of your keyboard. so what?! it wont be perfect but im pretty sure it will work, if not you havent lost anything! just dont stand on your keyboard too hard! ;)

No, but I think if you get like 8 tape decks side by side on the floor and you like step on the record button, then stop when you're done your loop, and then your rewind to the start and play really fast, it should be basically the same. I think that's what Grand Wizard Theodore used to do.

Hopefully that helps, if not, you can just scratch on fruity loops, even though that has nothing to do with looping or turntable compositions, it's just sweet.

No need to thank me,

-[Vekked]

what you need to do is download bomes midi translator or something similar which basically allows you to set a number of keystroke commands to one midi command from your controller. then you have to set the keymap in ableton, use one command to record and play all the top line of cells and use 8 different commands to arm 8 different tracks, then you have an 8 track looper. you cant overdub record onto a track tho, if you want to do an overdub you need to just go onto the next track.

not explained very well, but thats more or less how i have it set up and it works.

holy shit im a genius but all of these methods and 21 step programs are seriously making my head churnnnnnnnnn.

thanks for the help everyone. oh if someone could just come over and hook it all up for meeeeeeeeee *sniff*

I will msg you ass crack (Vet)

& also....Ian, I've seen that video, hes dope but for real I dont wanna spend more than 100 dollars on a midi pedal.

• 3 weeks later...
I dont wanna spend more than 100 dollars on a midi pedal.

You might be able to snag a Behringer FCB1010 off ebay for around that price. I say might. I wouldn't usually recommend behringer gear but these are solid and I know several people who use them.

Setting MIDI controllers up in Live is the easiest thing ever. Just press the 'MIDI' button in the top left of the screen. Shit will turn blue. Click on the thing you want to control, then hit your footswitch/turn your knob etc. Congratulations! Your switch/controller is set!