Stage Fright/Performance Anxiety (not ur dick)

Vekked

Has anyone here went from having pretty crippling stage fright to being pretty much comfortable when DJing/battling/doing routines?

It's been bugging me all day. I battled in the local DMC regional last night, and for the first time in like my last 5-6 times on stage doing routines I got super nervous.

Was completely fine during soundcheck, setting up, and practicing in my headphones, but just after I started my routine I could feel myself freezing up. I can't put an exact finger on when, but I think I was fine until I went off a beat in my first juggle (the one from the DV battle), then I kinda trainwrecked for a bit and ended up recovering but still felt shook up from that for most of my routine... like barely able to hit my cue buttons shook, LOL.

From the feedback I got I guess I covered it up pretty well and most people didn't even realize I was fucking up so bad... and I ended up winning anyways (/brag), but it ended up being somewhat close when I should've destroyed them because they were like 90% clean and I was like 60% clean.

It's been bothering me because I haven't felt like that since probably the first time I battled pretty much, and I thought I was over it. I prepare heaps leading up to a battle and that's surely the only thing that saved me from totally dropping the ball, but I'm still pissed that I couldn't deliver the performance I wanted. Anyone ever dealt with nerves like this and have any suggestions?

• Like 1

I remember as a kid, before big tests and big sports games like a playoffs in hockey and stuff I'd puke almost every time... Haven't been like that for over 10 years, but I think nerves/performance anxiety has always been a bit worse for me than the average person. I can't recall it being bad enough to ever not go through with something, or ever dropping the ball completely like having to stop or having a breakdown or anything, but just had a brutal time just being comfortable and bringing my A-game.

Strangely at the Canadian finals last year I probably did the best performance of my life at the biggest event... and KOTD was probably just as high in pressure because I knew it was gonna be on youtube and tons of people were gonna see how I did, but I still managed to bring like my B-game.

Guest broke

I can't remember who it was, but I saw an interview with someone who said you never really completely get rid of that nervous energy before or during a performance. I think what happens is that, with time, you get used to it and learn to harness your nervous energy, so that it becomes a resource rather than a hindrance.

I remember way back when I entered the ITF, before the first battle my hands were pretty shaky. After a few rounds they were steady, but I still felt nervous each time it was my turn.

There's probably some good breathing techniques for nerves. Or you could always start doing coke.

Yea I'll probs do coke.

And yea I think I've asked Shub about it on multiple occasions. I've seen him battle like half a dozen times or more, and he's nearly always flawless, but he said the nerves never completely go away either... but it sure doesn't seem that way watching him LOL

yeah I think you just eventually master that shit.

Being nervous before a show is the other side of the coin to being excited for the show. So that's before the show, and then when the show is happening the nervousness is actually excitement, or one can at least tell oneself this. That's basically what happens for me.

I was hella nervous in the first two dmc battles I entered: in the 2010 supremacy i messed up tonnes because my hands were shaking constantly and in the Leicester 2011 heat my fader hand tensed up so much I couldn't do a lot of my cuts and missed out clicks etc, but I had the extra stress that day of bass making my records go apeshit and my cue points dancing all over the shop. However, the two dmc events I've entered after that I've been ok, especially the London heat this year where I pretty much did my set spot on how I wanted to. I think this improvement is down to a few things, which may or may not be useful to other people :) :

-I knew my routines a lot better and could do most of them without thinking as they were part of my recent muscle memory.

-I wore noise canceling headphones for both performances so I could hear my cuts clearly and so I didn't get distracted by crowd noise

-I use a deep breath breathing technique for a minute or so before my set, just long slow breaths.

-I tried not to watch the person on before me just in case I was thrown off mentally by how good they were,

-I rehearsed crowd interaction

-I tried to psyche myself up into a false mental state where I knew I was going to win. In reality I could tell I wasn;t going to, but for the tens minutes before and during my routine I have to believe I'm going to win to give myself a confidence boost.

-I'd also become used to playing in public by doing regular club/venue gigs

I don't know if any of that is useful, but it helps me :)

• Like 2

I used to have stage fright/anxiety and still do mildly. That is kinda what makes being in front of people fun for me tho--conquering that fear. I just have to remind myself to have fun on the outside and I will calm down on the inside. Sometimes it's just working through it for a few mins--which is hard for battling I figure because it's over so fast. It also helps me to carry something comforting. When I get nervous I sweat. A LOT. And its a downward spiral where if i start then it gets me more self conscious and I do it more! So I have a bandanna in my pocket and use it to wipe my sweat which makes me feel less nervous and stop sweating.

And chew gum.

• Like 1

i never ever get stage fright, my dining room cant hold that many peeps... seriously tho, i think every individual will handle it in different ways. i wud vomit, then id b ok.

• Like 1

Sounds like you got thrown off by one little thing which ended up having more of an impact than it should have.

I used to practice on the shabbiest decks I could find to get used to recovering when things go wrong.

I think the trick is to stay focussed on what's next and not what just happened.

And remember... Not matter how bad the fuck up its not like you're going to lose a bollock ;-)

I honestly think stage fright is normal for most people, it just depends on how you react to it. Also when i watched your KOTD battle against jooce I could tell you were a bit nervous by looking at your fader hand and such.

Thanks for all the replies guys, especially Jon, great tips! What kinda headphones were you wearing, earbuds? Is noise cancelling handy in a club? Never used noise cancelling headphones tbh.

Sounds like you got thrown off by one little thing which ended up having more of an impact than it should have.

I used to practice on the shabbiest decks I could find to get used to recovering when things go wrong.

I think the trick is to stay focussed on what's next and not what just happened.

Yea that's basically what happened. I did recover for the most part but I was still shook up and my cuts suffered a bit because of it. For some reason I felt pretty much fine for my juggling though, which I'm less confident at overall.

I honestly think stage fright is normal for most people, it just depends on how you react to it. Also when i watched your KOTD battle against jooce I could tell you were a bit nervous by looking at your fader hand and such.

Yea I was def still nervous but it was kinda what I'd consider normal nerves... like I could still do mostly everything, wasn't missing clicks like crazy or anything... felt more like adrenaline than nerves once I got into it.

I wonder if it was because Total Eclipse was judging and he's one of my all time favs, LOL. It didn't seem like it but I suppose that could've made a difference.

I just use sennheiser hd280s, which are what I use for cueing when I DJ. They're not meant to be sound cancelling but they do a decent job. DMCs are the only environment in which I'd use them for that purpose. You can get custom in ear monitors too, which bands use a lot, but they're going to be over £100 at least.

Guest broke

I reckon yoga would be really helpful, real talk.

For real eh? I know nothing about it tbh. How would it help iyo?

Damn, where to start...

Long story short: focus and wellbeing.

battling at that level is something i couldnt even imagine... i respect you guys immensely.

before RVM gigs my nerves would start to come up, but like with what jon said we practiced so much that our parts were basically engraved in our psyche. so as soon as i finished my first mix or cut i would be all swayzee.

I used to vomit before every battle. in my house or in the hotel if it was abroad..

and check out how gay this is.. I actually vomited before I uploaded my routine against Unkut in the 2006 WSTC Online Battle.

Jon gave good answers. Playing more gigs in general helped a lot, plus I've hosted a few events where i have to talk on a mic in front of a few hundred people like Irelands Biggest Graf Jam and the Secret Wars Ireland Gigs...

I try to have fun, take the piss a little and not be too serious... or be comedically over serious..

I used to vomit before every battle. in my house or in the hotel if it was abroad..

and check out how gay this is.. I actually vomited before I uploaded my routine against Unkut in the 2006 WSTC Online Battle.

Jon gave good answers. Playing more gigs in general helped a lot, plus I've hosted a few events where i have to talk on a mic in front of a few hundred people like Irelands Biggest Graf Jam and the Secret Wars Ireland Gigs...

I try to have fun, take the piss a little and not be too serious... or be comedically over serious..

haha wow the WSTC story is extreme, so I'm not alone... so would you say you're over your nerves/got over them at any point?

Also Re: Yoga, is all yoga the same? I just go find classes? Fuck it I'll go do some yoga.

Zinedine Zidane threw up before taking a penalty against us didn't he? He just manned up and scored 2 seconds later. Guess it shows it affects everyone, even the best footballer in the world at the time.

Zinedine Zidane threw up before taking a penalty against us didn't he? He just manned up and scored 2 seconds later. Guess it shows it affects everyone, even the best footballer in the world at the time.

man I don't know shit about him except he head butt someone in the fucking teeth and ruined their life... think he does yoga?