AVANT BROWSER

Steve

Firefox is a MUCH more forgiving browser. Cross compatibility sucks. My new site looks beautiful in firefox but half of it doesn't even work in IE.

There is so much design stuff that you can do in Firefox that IE just refuses to recognize. And some of it on purpose. Even though Microsoft knows people want to use it, they're refusing to incorporate some stuff into IE 7.

post a link to your site mate!

what can i do in firefox that i cant do in IE?

i have only ever used IE.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Firefox has its own set of css extensions that go "-moz blah blah blah." IE of course doesn't recognize them. It also is a much much more useful browser for building tables. There are awesome attributes like cell radius that make table cells with rounded corners so easy to do, but in IE you have you use a set of images for your table generally and its such a bitch to work with. Mozilla is also exceptionally good at handling anything you can throw at it that has to do with transparency. There is an entire set of css transparency attributes like alpha() and transparency() that IE refuses to recognize. Even simple stuff is such a fucking pain in the ass to make cross compatible. For example I have a set of CSS cells that roll over to a 50% transparent png, so the background appears kinda whites out when you put your mouse over them. It's fucking basic CSS, but IE doesn't like it. I'll post a link to my site when I get the new version uploaded.

damn thats both good and bad

good because they are the sort of things i want to do with tables. and bad because if i do do it then 90% of users wont see it.

the rounded corners thing would be a boon! i am using images to round edges

I'm with Steve here

Although FF is supreme, the educated web author will undoubtably write his content for IE, then check with other browsers. It's just plain common sense. The internet is choc-full of users who are wholly unaware of the existance of other browsers, let alone the merits of one against another.

Max is sounding a bit like Deeswift, here.... flol

Also, didn't recent independant reports expose something like seven times as many security flaws in Firefox than IE? If forget who or where or the exact figure, I'm sure someone will know.

Avant is a totally decent browser, I used it for some years before going FF. I use FF because the intereface is marginally cleaner/nicer than the alternatives, and the plug-ins available are very nice. I also feel it is a product worthy of support, although I'm somewhat dubious that it seems to be elevated to the status of 'internet browsing deity' by some, to the exclusion of all others, in much the same way that Linux geeks denounce all other operating systems with a kind of po-faced snobbary that does their cause no good whatsoever.

if i didnt use windows, i wouldnt use an IE based browser.

integration between the OS and the apps is what has made windows so good. the more apps by the same company the better.

it's whats in the browser window that counts. having tabs is great though, and avant does that.

after a previous hot discussion about browsers i installed firefox. after waiting for it to load (see above - integration between OS and apps) it was OK.

if I had the choice between basic IE and Firefox, I'd go with Firefox. But as I was already on Avant it seemed just like a change for change's sake. They are both good browsers.

If I was to recommend an upgrade for someone who was just using the basic IE, I'd say go with Avant.

The thing I like about Avant is I use almost every feature it has, but I'm not left thinking I wish it could do this or that. I think some people are put off by the interface when it's initially installed, but you can remove literally every button and menu item that you don't use, plus you can use skins. When a new version comes out, you just download the 1MB setup file, uninstall the old one and install the new one. All your settings and things you've customised remain the same. The tabbed browsing is a lot better in Avant than Firefox too and it's lighter on resources.

• 3 weeks later...