Steve

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A new version of Avant is out. It's only just over a meg to download and has a couple of extra features: -

1. When you point the mouse pointer at a picture, a new floating bar pops up. You have the usual options to save etc. but now you can also click a little + or - and zoom in or out. Pretty useful but it can be turned off if you don't like it.

2. When you highlight a block of text on a webpage you get a new floating bar. You can copy the text to the clipboard, search the web for the highlighted text with any search engine you choose and also search the site/page for more instances of the words you highlighted. Again, this is pretty useful and can also be turned off.

3. You now have the option to have a small info box appear when a popup page/ad is blocked, showing you the full path of the URL. I don't really see much use for this so I switched it off.

4. When you close Avant and restart it, a box pops up with a list of all the pages you had open. You can choose to open them all again, or select them individually if you want. Again, you can turn this off if you like.

5. There's a new XML Feeds button for reading blogs and shit. It's no use to me though so I removed it.

All in all, a pretty good update. All the minor bugs seem to have been ironed out and every new version seems to be more compact, but with more features.

• 8 months later...

New version of Avant released: -

Improved Speed/Stability.

Improved Flash Blocker.

Improved Drag-and-Drop.

Improved History Support.

Improved scroll support.

Fixed the bug of clear web forms.

Allow multiple instances.

Customizable mouse gestures.

Customizable mouse buttons functions.

Customizable tab to activate after closing a tab.

More customizable standard buttons.

Drop down button for history button, display last 120 visited web pages.

New compact view.

New: "hold the right button and click with the middle button" to close/refresh a window.

New: Open In New Browser Item in the right click menu for links and bitmap.

New: Getting Start Wizard dialog

New Copy URL button on the float bar.

New Open in New Window button on the float bar.

New Favorite Context Menu Item: Create Favorite in This Folder.

Maintain Width/Height ratio when zoom pictures.

Added Context Menu to group links

Added Context Menu to Back/Forward drop-down menu

Accept to drop a list of URLs, and open them one by one.

Save options in "Open a Link" dialog.

http://www.qwerks.com/download/5337/absetup.exe

The new features in this version are wicked. The customisable mouse gestures is a great idea: -

gestures.jpg

You can fully customise the mouse buttons too: -

mouse.jpg

There's also a new toolbar button (that you can remove of course) that shows you the last 25 pages you closed, so you can re-open any of them quickly. It's kind of like a cut down version of history with faster access. You can also customise the tabs in loads of different ways now.

• 3 weeks later...

Something I forgot to mention that I like in Avant is the full screen view. This hides the top and bottom bars (including the taskbar) until you point your mouse in that area of the screen, then they reappear. Sites look like this: -

fullscreen.jpg

Pretty cool I reckon. You can also view 2 or more sites like this, which is useful if you're comparing or copying and pasting something: -

View 1: -

full1.jpg

View 2: -

full2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another new version: -

http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/145999-6E45/ab-setup.exe

1.4MB. That's the download without the RoboForm plugin. There's no change log as yet, so I dunno what's been changed. I've installed it and it works fine.

Each time you upgrade Avant, you should uninstall the current version, reboot, then install the new one. Any customisations you've made will be saved so the upgrade is painless.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Probably because you ain't configured it to how you like it. Most people hate it when they first look at it, but you can customise literally everything about it. It's light on resources too: -

tabs.jpg

If I had 64 tabs open in Firefox my PC would have had a heart attack and died. With Avant it runs the same as if I only had a single page open.

Firefox is a MUCH more forgiving browser. Cross compatibility sucks. My new site looks beautiful in firefox but half of it doesn't even work in IE.

There is so much design stuff that you can do in Firefox that IE just refuses to recognize. And some of it on purpose. Even though Microsoft knows people want to use it, they're refusing to incorporate some stuff into IE 7.

Firefox & Opera adhere strictly to a web standard, but quite often the people who write websites don't. That's why Opera has it's "Quirk's Mode". It depends if you want to make a site that's viewable by 88% of users or 8%. A well written site looks the same in all browsers.