The Machinist

Lorn

Sounds good. However I can't help feeling that its beating round the bush a little, but thats how i feel about 99% of D'n'B these days.

The drums are heavy but to me they sound like a nutter stomping on his granny's kitchen table as opposed to an epileptic with thousands of yo-yos attached to his face and clothing - flailing arcs of neon plastic into every obstacle in his way. Perhaps he's in a china shop. But thats just the way i'd do it. At least it isn't a token beat. I've only just got out of that habit.

I think at least, the synths need a little more variation in texture. Maybe mess with some other sounds interweaving with the melody. I'm a sucker for that shit :d

Sounds good. However I can't help feeling that its beating round the bush a little, but thats how i feel about 99% of D'n'B these days.

The drums are heavy but to me they sound like a nutter stomping on his granny's kitchen table as opposed to an epileptic with thousands of yo-yos attached to his face and clothing - flailing arcs of neon plastic into every obstacle in his way. Perhaps he's in a china shop. But thats just the way i'd do it. At least it isn't a token beat. I've only just got out of that habit.

I think at least, the synths need a little more variation in texture. Maybe mess with some other sounds interweaving with the melody. I'm a sucker for that shit  :d

Haha, alright man. I'm not too sure how to approach the drum comment, but I did agree with the 'token beat' part. It was created and programmed by hand, no amens hurr. I think you might be talking about how it sort of has a stutter type groove to it? I dunno

Good advice on the synths - I'll definitely fuck around with some variation in the latter half.

Thanks for check it out

gritty, i like it. like ben says could do with more texture. just feels like there's something missing you know? i could imagine this beat with a fuckin raspoing bassline that just fucks you up, that'd be shit hot. i like the IDM-esqueness of it though, gives it a little more edge than a lot of dnb tracks these days...

I like it Lorn. the intro is a bit long... but when considered amongst a set of nice dark and dirty dnb such as you have here.... that long intro would sound nice...especially if you had just dropped a couple back to back pounders mixing out before breakdowns...

I didn't know you busted down on the darkside of dnb...

well done.

noice... very noice... didnt realise you was into that type of durrty shit. i like the drum patterns with the synths, maybe a little switch here and there, some edits would be nice to break it up a bit...

then again a lot of dnb is very formulaic so...

i like the second set of drum patterns at around 3mins (starts just before i think).

intro's cool and fits nicely with the first drop, not too long or short for me...

definitely interested in hearing the end product.

Actually on second listen those drums at around 2.50ish remind me of some dillinja ones, lol.

sounds dope tho.

PS: dont know if you know of them, but Noisia are possibly the nicest dnb producers i've heard in a long time, check this mix for DOA they did, includes some new tunes of theirs. peep the first one and the one at about 25-30 mins in with the kung fu samples for some serious drum programming and tweaking ;) http://content.dogsonacid.com/mixes/DOA_Mi...ptember2005.mp3

thread: http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?t...53&mode=article

noice... very noice... didnt realise you was into that type of durrty shit. i like the drum patterns with the synths, maybe a little switch here and there, some edits would be nice to break it up a bit...

i like the second set of drum patterns at around 3mins (starts just before i think).

intro's cool and fits nicely with the first drop, not too long or short for me...

Actually on second listen those drums at around 2.50ish remind me of some dillinja ones, lol.

sounds dope tho.

PS: dont know if you know of them, but Noisia are possibly the nicest dnb producers i've heard in a long time, check this mix for DOA they did, includes some new tunes of theirs. peep the first one and the one at about 25-30 mins in with the kung fu samples for some serious drum programming and tweaking  ;) http://content.dogsonacid.com/mixes/DOA_Mi...ptember2005.mp3

Thanks for checking it out. I'm currently reworking the drums and the second drop as well as the last breakdown and ending etc. I never listen to Dillinja tunes so I can't really comment on the connection you saw.

Oh, and Noisia is ill.

sounds dope tho.

PS: dont know if you know of them, but Noisia are possibly the nicest dnb producers i've heard in a long time, check this mix for DOA they did, includes some new tunes of theirs. peep the first one and the one at about 25-30 mins in with the kung fu samples for some serious drum programming and tweaking  ;) http://content.dogsonacid.com/mixes/DOA_Mi...ptember2005.mp3

Thanks for checking it out. I'm currently reworking the drums and the second drop as well as the last breakdown and ending etc. I never listen to Dillinja tunes so I can't really comment on the connection you saw.

Oh, and Noisia is ill.

oh yeah no i wasnt saying there might be a connection, just that when i listened again it really reminded me of some dillinja drums for some reason... mind you depending on who you ask that's a good or bad thing, lol.

looking fwd to hearin the finished version

nice one.

nothing new to critique. the drums arrangment is nice, but could have more pressure.

the synth is dope, like it alot. what are u using?

jeah noisia is really hot. cant wait for the tide single..

bum tshak bumtshak

nice one.

nothing new to critique. the drums arrangment is nice, but could have more pressure.

the synth is dope, like it alot. what are u using?

jeah noisia is really hot. cant wait for the tide single..

bum tshak bumtshak

Thanks for the tip.

As far as the synth, it's something I made myself using the ES1 and ES2, then resampled with a bunch of effects and what not.

Lorn, that shit is dark!

I agree about the intro, its a bit on the long side.. Really liked the broken beats. I liked the pauses in the drum pattern, really sounded cool.

Bass was maybe a little overpowering although that could be down to my system. The synth seemes a little loud too but I really liked the pattern, thats what made the tune so dark for me I guess.

Where is $mooth? Hes the real dnb critic :)

EDIT-- Just listened to the track in my headphones and the levels sound much better

TBH my speakers are not in the best place as I dont have much room :(

Definitely feeling this one. Intro is cool.

Tune reminds me of Tech Itch - Heavy Metal, a bit

Only (trying to be constructive) criticisms I have are:

The drums are too quiet. The patterns are cool but a bit to steppin' for me. They have plenty variation, they could just be a bit more rollin'.

It could do with some extra lead or something, every bar where the reese doesn't play.

Some play on the reese amp and filter modulation would be nice, get it sounding like its trying to speak to us.

Thats all I have to say, but what the hell do I know? :s

Thanks for the tip.

As far as the synth, it's something I made myself using the ES1 and ES2, then resampled with a bunch of effects and what not.

logic hu?

the es1 is really dope, never used the es2, too many fancy buttons.

im curios bout your settings. my drum production is not bad, but i really suck in synth programming. never get that particular rolling agressiv thunder like u achieved.

chill

Definitely feeling this one.  Intro is cool.

The drums are too quiet. The patterns are cool but a bit to steppin' for me.  They have plenty variation, they could just be a bit more rollin'.

It could do with some extra lead or something, every bar where the reese doesn't play.

Some play on the reese amp and filter modulation would be nice, get it sounding like its trying to speak to us.

Thanks a lot. There's a lot of good considerations in here. One of my main problems was with the drums as well. I think I might have to rebuild the track because the bass and synth's overpower the drums too much. I've tried compression but then it just sucks the soul out of them. In the end I got more of a slapping quiet drum sound as opposed to the gut punching sound I was looking for.

Dope shit on the lead advice.

Again, thanks to all for their input - I should be done with it by this weekend and I'll put it up so you can hear some of your tips take action.

Thanks for the tip.

logic hu?

im curios bout your settings. my drum production is not bad, but i really suck in synth programming. never get that particular rolling agressiv thunder like u achieved.

chill

Drop me a line, I'm more than willing to give away *some* of my secrets. I do realize that the reece is used a lot, so I have done a bit to bring in my own sound. But yeah, there are some basics that I can pass along if you want to get into it.

Definitely feeling this one.  Intro is cool.

The drums are too quiet. The patterns are cool but a bit to steppin' for me.  They have plenty variation, they could just be a bit more rollin'.

Thanks a lot. There's a lot of good considerations in here. One of my main problems was with the drums as well. I think I might have to rebuild the track because the bass and synth's overpower the drums too much. I've tried compression but then it just sucks the soul out of them. In the end I got more of a slapping quiet drum sound as opposed to the gut punching sound I was looking for.

Dope shit on the lead advice.

Again, thanks to all for their input - I should be done with it by this weekend and I'll put it up so you can hear some of your tips take action.

with drums for dnb tracks, i've always found it good to split the separate hits to a track each if you can and then you get more freedom to be able to do tweaks and edits as ewll as get a real oomph on them so they dont get drowned out...

as for the reece, yeah it's overused but like you've shown with that track if you just make it your own iwth additional shit thrown in it can still sound sweeeeet. or a simple, plain reece used over a downtempo break i find always makes my day. there ws one beat on craze and klever's scratch nerds cd which i always found sounded dope because it was a simple, powerful reece over a hip hop break.

Thanks for the tip.

logic hu?

chill

Drop me a line, I'm more than willing to give away *some* of my secrets. I do realize that the reece is used a lot, so I have done a bit to bring in my own sound. But yeah, there are some basics that I can pass along if you want to get into it.

You should make a short guide on using logic ;)

I neeeed one!

wtf is reece??

it's a name given to a type of bassline/synth sound in dnb. Like amen / tramen breaks etc... it's become so common in dnb that most programs now have reece presets for their instruments.

I was looking for a site that might give you a short history/explanation of how it came about but i can find anything...

It's a bit early in the morning and my memory's all muddled, so i cant remember if Alex Reece was responsible for the first one and it was named after him, or he named himself after it... or if it was Trace and Ed Rush who came up with it (i dont think it was, i think they came up with the tramen break)...

but yeah look it up if you wnat on a dnb forum, im sure you can find something about it or someone who remembers better then me, lol.

damn lorn...

you got the evil on straight lock down.

if i hooked up w/a cd/vinyl slab of some of

dis shit w/a "have you seen my kitty" bonus

track i'd be very fvcking pleased. I'm a fvcking

svcker for all things terrorcore. my compliments.

the fvcked shit about it is my need to feel like

you deserve a compliment. like ya fvcking got

me locked in a basement torturing my body ,fvcking

w/my psychology, testing my limits and shit. i'm

down there screaming and crying but then, inbetween

the sledgehammering of my balls and the spiked bat

up my ass i decide to compliment you on yr creativity

and next level sociological ideas of testing ones self

thru pain and....ya start feeling all warm and fuzzy and

ya let me go because no one ever touched you w/a compliment

like dat b4. the contradiction and challenge of making

an evil fatherfvcker like you start glowing w/love is just

to attractive of a change to impliment on someone. I'm

gonna turn you into the biggest pro free love fvking hippy

in da world yo...now don't ya start crying on me now ya

fvcking faggot :d

yo i'm telling ya'll...there is a new level of str8 hardcore

style turntablism on the fvcking brink of exploding...

shits gonna be so fvcking evil, so many of you will

be left in the dust wondering how ya'll could've missed

something so obvious. ya ain't nothing unless ya got

some doubles of some fvcking crapcore, so get on it.

respect yo

damn lorn...

you got the evil on straight lock down.

if i hooked up w/a cd/vinyl slab of some of

dis shit w/a "have you seen my kitty" bonus

track i'd be very fvcking pleased. I'm a fvcking

svcker for all things terrorcore. my compliments.

the fvcked shit about it is my need to feel like

you deserve a compliment. like ya fvcking got

me locked in a basement torturing my body ,fvcking

w/my psychology, testing my limits and shit. i'm

down there screaming and crying but then, inbetween

the sledgehammering of my balls and the spiked bat

up my ass i decide to compliment you on yr creativity

and next level sociological ideas of testing ones self

thru pain and....ya start feeling all warm and fuzzy and

ya let me go because no one ever touched you w/a compliment

like dat b4. the contradiction and challenge of making

an evil fatherfvcker like you start glowing w/love is just

to attractive of a change to impliment on someone. I'm

gonna turn you into the biggest pro free love fvking hippy

in da world yo...now don't ya start crying on me now ya

fvcking faggot :d

yo i'm telling ya'll...there is a new level of str8 hardcore

style turntablism on the fvcking brink of exploding...

shits gonna be so fvcking evil, so many of you will

be left in the dust wondering how ya'll could've missed

something so obvious. ya ain't nothing unless ya got

some doubles of some fvcking crapcore, so get on it.

respect yo

Much appreciated friend. Much appreciated.