Jazz Drumloops

Ben

Where can i find acoustic jazz drumloops? I'm looking myself but you can never have enough samples.

I'm looking for really crazy stuff that scatters all over the place yet has a noticable rhythm too.

I want some pre made samples so i can get to grips with the anatomy of those crazy ass rhythms.

Really, i have a problem with drum loops. I don't like them. I always program my own but i just want something mainly to play my bass along with.

I've got this terrible habit of making everything sound like drum and bass.

Guest Deeswift

Why don't you go to the source and listen to some jazz, then sample it? Show some respect for the culture, man... then rip it off! Heh. No really, get yourself some good jazz records and find some shit that sounds interesting, there's about 10 million jazz records you could explore.

Check out Jamey Aebersold. He releases Jazz play alongs for musicians. I've got a few from (attempting) playing keys. They're really well put together with the rhythm section on the right stereo channel and other instruments on the left, so you can select what elements you want (try drumming under the comp section - not easy!)

or you can just scratch over the rhythm section.

yeah, the aebersold stuff is good, it tends to be in stereo left channel=drums and bass and right channel = piano or some variation so you can remove certain parts to play along with

my absolute FAVOURITE jazz record of all time has to be grover washington juniors "all the kings horses" album, that is just jazz perfection for me!

but yeah, i guess theyre right, listen to some jazz in its "proper" form (buy it on vinyl, don't download), once you get an appreciation of a certain style you will connect to it and find the rhythms a lot easier to comprehend

almost every older jazz record has a part of drum solo-ing

cut it up

true true, its everywhere!!

get some django rheindhart *if thats how you spell it* and some stephan grapelli too, you'll stop listening to hiphop so much when you get into that shit, you'll find shit like flamenco jazz fusion ( :(( unbelievable), afro latin jazz, ooo gimme some mongo santamaria bitch! funk jazz fusion - T mutherfucking O.P!!!!!!!! a good start is with charlie parker and miles davis tho, for some defining moments, then REfine.

Guest Deeswift

Naaaah, fuck Miles! He was the most over rated jazzer on the planet! I'd rather listen to Freddie Hubbard any day. Smooooth tone. Not keen on the sceechy shit!

And I'll skip straight to the good shit anyway. Fusion is where it's at for me. Weather Report, Holdsworth, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Tony Williams Lifetime (get the Believe It album and check out Fred. Beautiful. Holdsworth is on this album)... This kind of fusion is jazz with balls, and that's what I like. That's what made me think hip hop nowadays is shallow as fuck (with all due respect to the old school).

im sick of people saying this about Miles, just because everyone and the kitchen sink knows of him, he gets dissed! if you're into fusion then you have no choice but to like miles davis, the man pushed and fused shit beyond belief....shit, i got a steak on and its burning, ARRR damn miles haters, just coz he's popular, its the same shit all the time!

and LOL @ (get the Believe It album and check out Fred. Beautiful. Holdsworth is on this album)...

who what!

no beef on miles, guess its your call, you must've listened to sketches of spain so i guess im never gonna convert you.

Guest Deeswift
im sick of people saying this about Miles, just because everyone and the kitchen sink knows of him, he gets dissed! if you're into fusion then you have no choice but to like miles davis, the man pushed and fused shit beyond belief....shit, i got a steak on and its burning, ARRR damn miles haters, just coz he's popular, its the same shit all the time!

and LOL @ (get the Believe It album and check out Fred. Beautiful. Holdsworth is on this album)...

who what!

no beef on miles, guess its your call, you must've listened to sketches of spain so i guess im never gonna convert you.

I agree, you won't convert me. Miles didn't have any respect for the fusion his band made, or so called pioneered. Miles wanted to put a band together that was better than the Jimi Hendrix Experience, so he tried hard and failed. He had no respect because he used to tell his band members "OK, let's go up on stage and play "that shit". Miles wanted to jump on the fusion bandwagon, and his band did most of the work, same as James Brown. Who would he have been without his band, people like Bootsy? No doubt Miles could play, certain thing were great, but considering the amount of credit he gets for what is essentially harsh noise, and the lack of respect that he had for fusion, I don't rate him as highly as you.

I referred to Tony Williams Lifetime because Williams is a great jazz drummer. And because the thread is about jazz drums, I thought maybe Williams would be a good artist to look at. Believe it is total fusion though, not some old man trad jazz.

Guest Deeswift

Heh. It is though man! i had a 13 CD set of Miles ultimate blah rock fusion recordings (can't remember the real name), and it was unlistenable! I have shitloads of Miles Davis recordings but I can only find a couple of things that are enjoyable. You can exclude In a Silent Way, Kind of Blue, etc, but the collection I've got, which is by no means small, only a small percentage of it does anything for me.