Check out my new speakers!

So I was at an old lady's house to install her tv, pc & stuff, and I see these 2 beautifully preserved B&W DM6's standing there.

I tell her that's a nice pair of speakers you got there. She asks me if I can do anything with them. I inquire what she's asking for them and she replies: "You can take 'em if you take the other junk as well.' The other junk being a Pioneer amp, receiver, cd-deck, turntable, and tape deck!!!

So I've got a whole batch of high-end stuff FA SHIZZLE!

Best thing is the DM6 was one of B&W's first speakers to use Kevlar coni, so it's practically unwearable. Only damage is cosmetic.

Prolly best deal ever :)

That's them:

Just wanted to share the joy, you can carry on now :p

So I was at an old lady's house to install her tv, pc & stuff, and I see these 2 beautifully preserved B&W DM6's standing there.

I tell her that's a nice pair of speakers you got there. She asks me if I can do anything with them. I inquire what she's asking for them and she replies: "You can take 'em if you take the other junk as well.' The other junk being a Pioneer amp, receiver, cd-deck, turntable, and tape deck!!!

So I've got a whole batch of high-end stuff FA SHIZZLE!

Best thing is the DM6 was one of B&W's first speakers to use Kevlar coni, so it's practically unwearable. Only damage is cosmetic.

Prolly best deal ever :)

That's them:

Just wanted to share the joy, you can carry on now  :p

not to be a negative prick, but kevlar cones to me, sound total ass.

Guest Deeswift

That's total BS. My B&W DM602 series 2 speakers use Kevlar cones and sound fucking awesome. As far as I know, B&W invented the Kevlar cone, and maybe the imitations that came out afterwards sound like total ass, but B&W's sound fucking glorius. "The voice coils of God" is how they were described by one hifi reviewer. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. ripple, how do those old beauties sound?

With the curve and HF filters set to 0, they're perfect monitors, no coloring of the sound whatsoever.

When you alter the sound with the two switches they're also good for plain listening to records.

One sounds like shit, as I still need to glue (well, silicone, glue would be a mistake) the bass cone which has come loose from the sides.

For the rest they're typically B&W, nice warm lows (without cranking up sub-bass like in Bose systems), easy to distinguish all instruments in the mix, and ofcourse sorta silent when compared to other speakers as they use a rather flat curve.

The lows on these babies would really blow ya out of the frame, even better than on the newer versions I'd say. A perfect non-clipping (so non-localisable) low down to 20 hz.

They were a beeetch to carry up the stairs though: 40 kgs each...

And tekniqs: Kevlar has really proved its quality as a cone material over the last 30 years (DM6's were the first to use them btw), durable like a tank yet flexible enough to render all frequencies. The woofer is the classic polymer as used in B&W's ASW series.

Edited by ripple

niiice guy, gotta love the salvation army speaker system, I know i do because I bought mine there.. Nice find guyy