Fuga Da Voi

Steve

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think that is the reason? I'm sure the music he sampled was pretty obscure. I doubt if there's much chance that the original artists will hear Fuga, but even if they do they might still recognise their own work. Ricci's told the truth on Asis - if he was saying it was musicians for clearance reasons, wouldn't he have kept his mouth shut?

Do you think Eric B et al are being paid royalties for their appearances on RRRAP or will the sleeve notes say that impersonators were used? :p

is rrrap being released on a label? its just a mixtape man. I think its the reason, at least, i suspect it is the reason. Things are not always what they seem. I know for one that shit dont work in holland, with that list of names playing on my work i'd have to show em i paid these people. But, i really *think* its the main reason, and i *think* also a lot of these samples come from other sources then records. Internet has a bunch. If you sell, they will find the source.

Apart from that, i think its a great album, i truly do.

I dunno, I'm sure he said it was coming out on an independent label on CD at some stage. Even with mixtapes you still have to get clearance though right? I agree with his opinion that people should be able to freely sample anything, but that won't help him pay a ridiculously out of proportion fine. As much as I don't like the way he portrays himself on the scratcherweb, I wouldn't like to see him or anyone else get fucked over by the RIAA.

IEven with mixtapes you still have to get clearance though right? I agree with his opinion that people should be able to freely sample anything, but that won't help him pay a ridiculously out of proportion fine.

no i agree and yes you definitely do have to get clearence even for a mixtape. but it really isnt that much, depends on your country of residence...

However freely sample anything you want? come on now, i know the music industry is full of thieves and crooks at every turn, however at some stage you ahve to give credit to the artist who played/wrote the original piece...you are effectively stealing their intellectual property

Credit sure, but quite often the amount of money the sampled artist asks for is ridiculous. De La Soul made no money from 3 Feet High & Rising, but how many copies were sold? If Ricci Rucker had asked for sample clearance for the whole of Fuga, quite possibly it would mean paying out more than he would ever earn. If he ever gets stung by the courts he may not release anything again. Same for any artist that can't afford to clear all their samples and as hip hop and scratch music is almost solely based on sampling it hits those musicians harder than any other. I'm sure a lot of good tracks/albums have been binned cos the artist in question asks for too much cash. Perhaps "freely" was the wrong word to use, but the system should be more fair.

Yeah I mean thats a different issue all together really. What you're talking about is really addressing the proportions of reimbursement rather than whether or not a sampled artist should recieve anything...

but to take that bull by the horns, yes for usage of a sample in your own production is a costly business, especially if the copyrigth holder is a major label. Perhaps, sample clearnence costs should be directly proportional to the predicted sales/circulation? that would address the issue you highlighted above with the De la example....

Yeah I was thinking about that, but then it would be hard to divide up the album and earnings from it. It could be done though and then everyone would know where they stood.

Fines for any kind of "piracy" are ridiculous. Up to $250,000 for having one pirated DVD? That's insane.

Yeah I was thinking about that, but then it would be hard to divide up the album and earnings from it. It could be done though and then everyone would know where they stood.

Fines for any kind of "piracy" are ridiculous. Up to $250,000 for having one pirated DVD? That's insane.

agreed, but the entertainment industry as a whole has had it so good for so fucking long, they're anxious to protect their share...the price of cd's is fuckign outrageous, the price of dvd's is outrageous...and the money film stars and commericial musicians make is fucking outrageous...i could continue on like this for fucking hours...

what about fucking live aid with elton john who said he's anxious to help the third world with his MUSIC?

this from a butt fucking queer who spends £125000 a year on FLOWERS.....

i really like fuga; the track "a time to feel" for example is amazing to me. sick drums, sick rythm, dope samples...

The sample I've got off RRRAP is great IMO. Did you listen to it? It's mostly the accapellas of old classic tracks by Eric B & Rakim, Jungle Brothers etc. mixed over beats the Ruck made.

that "let the rythm hit 'em" remix is insane; sounds like an original track.

btw i'm still tripping on "simply eternal now" from scetchbook... also the cd-booklet is so damn nice too.

peace

this from a butt fucking queer who spends £125000 a year on FLOWERS.....

Hey man cool it on that homophobic shit.

Anyway- if you don't want to have to pay sample clearance, just write all the music yourself. It isn't rocket science. Yes, I've done it before.

I mean, yeah, in battling and a lot of other turntablist stuff the use of sampling can't really be helped. And I don't think that copyright laws really apply to things like competition. But this is songwriting we're talking about. If you're going to sell your music, it should either be 100% original or you should just hush and clear whatever sample you're using.

That's just my opinion, though.

I think we're all agreed on that pretty much, it's just the price you have to pay. I dunno how much De La Soul paid to The Turtles, but they ended up with nothing left from the sales of 3 Feet High & Rising. The Turtles record was about 30 years old. I'd never heard of it before De La sampled it. A 10 second long loop and they made millions while the makers of one of the most successful hip hop albums ever got nothing.

Lata Mangeshkar tried to sue Dr. Dre for 500 MILLION dollars for using a sample of one of his tracks on "Addicted" by Truth Hurts. That single sold 273,000 copies so basically the guy wanted $1,831 per copy sold! I dunno what happened in that case, but it did go to court.