Computer is stll burning up

Dub-Se7en

Who here has a PC even close to as tidy as that?

all my pc's that i build are very tidy inside. i kinda pride myself on that, (although my PC has far too many cables running everywhere to be tidy)

i'll post some piccies up of 2 of the display pc's at work....

Guest Deeswift

Have you tried any of modular PSU's Dub? Very nice. OCZ makes a beatiful one called the ModStream (basically a PowerStream with detachable cables). You can fit any size or amount of cables you need. My next PSU will be one of those. I can see this Tagan TG480 lasting for a lifetime though, so I have no reason to buy one.

that's a good idea. These do the same thing

i run this one

Akasa Paxpower 400W PSU

great powerpack. too many cables though. also, it's atx 2.0 so i have to run a 24-20 pin converter which is very bulky., there's also a VGA power plug too, which i've seen on a few ATI cards. i built an AMD FX-55 system fairly recently that used almost all the cables. that was a fuckin beast...

Guest Deeswift

I also have a 24-pin adapter that comes with the Tagan. This is basically because it's also intended to power server boards, along with regular desktop PC's. 24-pin will be more common in the future too, so it's no bad thing, although I dislike the bulkiness of it. I did hide it well though. The more recent Tagan supplies have a dedicated GPU lead. Mine doesn't, but it's no big deal, the PSU is extremely solid.

The UltraX PSU's are pretty decent, although I don't think the quality of the components is quite up to the level of OCZ and Tagan, they are damn good. Just going on reviews and the people I know who run them.

I want an FX-55. :(

I just saw a test between the new Pentium 4 660 and an FX-55. It would take a massive overclock to beat the FX, the P4 having to be running at 5.2 Ghz to compete with the FX at stock speeds (2.6 Ghz). That's harsh. First of all you're gonna need some sick RAM to achieve that OC, plus add the cost of phase-change cooling.

the PSU is extremely solid.

yes it is, i built the FX with one, and what got me is how quiet it is but at the same time how cool it runs. my Akasa is quiet, but chucks out quite a bit of heat, although it's nothing compared to the 'generic' one i had before. all through the winter i didn't nead the heating on once cos of the pc

BTW running with side off has got the temps down to a nice 54, rising to a max of 57. where before with the arctic oooling fan and the side on i was idling at 62, 67-70 under load. so, i think i'd better get a bigger case