Computer is stll burning up

Dub-Se7en

System

Asus A7V8X-E Deluxe motherboard

AMD AthlonXP 3000+ CPU

1024mb PC2700 DDR RAM

i can't seem to get my CPU temperature down. i've just got in to see my CPU temp hitting nearly 70 degrees C! i've just changed my CPU fan from an arctic cooling variable speed fan to a Akasa constant speed 80mm one. this seems to have helped a little and the cpu is down to 59.

cooling wise i have a chassis fan in the front drawing in, one inside sending air over the hard drives, and one pulling air out at the back. should i reverse the flow so the rear fan is drawing air in over the cooler?

also i am beginning to suspect i have a faulty CPU cos my mate also runs a XP3000+ and his runs about 40-50.

any suggestions?

Guest Deeswift

Have you tried removing the side panels? A bit obvious, I know, but if it runs at an OK temperature when you do remove them, it's probably safe to say that it's the case cooling that's causing the problem.

i tried before when i had the other fan on and it made no differerence. but now i've changed the fan and removed the side again i've got a 10 degree drop. currently running at 56

any recomendations for a case? i don't want anything too flash, and capable of taking 5 hard drives

Guest Deeswift

I'm using a Wave Master (black one) which is pretty good, but they cost a lot. Mine was £150, but I think they came down a fair bit in price since I got mine. CPU temp on my Athlon64 3200+ is approx. 30 degrees, btw. Clownstyle also uses a Wave Master (silver one).

If that's too expensive, maybe look at some of the cheaper Cooler Master cases. Centurion range is pretty good. Also there's Lian Li cases. Not cheap, they are very nicely made but you can pick up a decent small Lian Li for not too much.

There's the Tsunami Dream, which is based (ripped off) on the Wave Master. Very good case, but not sure of the price.

I'm not gonna suggest a cheap case because that won't help. The better cases for cool temps are aluminium ones.

i was gonna get a centurion, but they seem to have been discontinued.

the wave master is a sweet case, i've built a few before but it's a little hefty (my room is tiny), however, i'll bear that in mind

with the side off and a deskfan blowing over it i've hit an all time low of 52degrees!

Guest Deeswift

Yeah, the Wave is a deep case, not particularly high or wide, just deep. To be honest, there's a few things I don't like about this case (the main problem is that it allows unfiltered air to come in through the front).

So... I wonder if they discontinued the Centurion with plans to bring out another lower-budget case.

How about Antec's Sonata? I know it comes with a PSU, but maybe it's worth considering?

EDIT: No, I just read somewhere that it's toasty inside.

I have a Sonata and it is quiet but case temps can run almost 30 degrees over room temp.

:o

Guest Deeswift

With all due respect, Dub builds systems, and any system builder will already know that TIM (Thermal Insulation Material) is vital. I doubt he would have built his own system without using some.

The best TIM is Arctic Silver 5.

Guest Deeswift

Not sure if they have fans. Maybe they use heatpipes? An (almost) silent PC isn't too difficult to build, you can buy fanless power supplies, as well as heatsinks for your GPU and CPU.

Quiet Operation

It’s no secret that computers generate heat. So Apple divided the inside of the Power Mac G5 into four discrete thermal zones, compartmentalizing the primary heat-producing components — processor, PCI, storage and power supply — so the system can decrease the temperature of a single zone without affecting the others.

Each thermal zone is equipped with its own dedicated fans spinning at very low speeds for minimum acoustic output. Using 21 different sensors, Mac OS X constantly monitors component temperatures and power consumption in each zone, dynamically adjusting individual fan speeds for the quietest possible operation. As a result, the Power Mac G5 runs two times quieter than the previous Power Mac G4.

The processors Apple use have a different architecure that do more instructions per clock cycle, a bit like the AMD/Intel thing where processor speed isn't that relevant.

Look at the inside of a G5's case: -

post-2-1117314203_thumb.jpg

My PC is like a Tupperware box filled with spaghetti compared to that.

be good if you could run windows on it ;)

you can make your pc like that

dee once posted up a pc "case" that was the size of a cd drive.

used laptop hdd and an external psu

was only about 250 quid. just add processor memory and drive

what was it called again?

dee! link . . .

Who here has a PC even close to as tidy as that? The G5 comes like that as standard. In general, PC case design is hardly different from how it was 10 or more years ago. Grey boxes with wires all over the place and enough fans to ride the thing down the street like a hovercraft.

If you want a good comparison of XP and OSX/Tiger then read here: -

http://www.xvsxp.com/

Guest Deeswift

Looks to me like they didn't wire that G5 up. There's empty RAM slots, the drives have no molexes in them and everything. It is tidy though, but it still doesn't kick enough butt.

Grae -- I can't remember the name of that little PC.