Chirps and Flares

Mixologist

HAs anyone noticed that there chirps start to suck as soon as you practiced flares? Like before i could actuall chirp not super fast like hyp chirps but i thought i had them, but ever since i started practicing flares where i had to wait and put the click in the middle of the sample, i can't do chirps at all, i also can't do transform tears because i can't like close the clicks, idk i've jsut notcied i can't do chirps or transform tears and it's pissing me off because transform tears are like my favorite scratch

Its sounds like a muscle memory issue. It'll come back in a couple of days after your brain seperates the two as different functions. Only cured by practice.

Do you scratch regular Mixo? I always found transforms easier regular for some reason.

The key to the dicing (transform tears) is to get a really subtle and short on/off movement of the fader. If your fader cuts in at 1mm there's no point moving it 10mm cos that will only slow your clicks down. I always find being relaxed helps and just tapping the fader gently. No need to grip it and fling it about! Just my 2 cents anyway........

speaking of transform tears...i usually have right hand on fader...

and i tried doin transform tears with my left han don the fader and it was so much tighter..... it was like the record hand controls how fast the clicks go because my strong hand was on the record... but when i do transform tears using my righ ton fader it seems like i tend to let the fader "control" the vinyl more.. so it click faster than i can move the record which ends in sloppyness

at times i just feel like switching over using my left hand on fader instead of right.

Edited by kiqbaq

I'd say go with whichever way feels more natural to you. Generally I would say to have your strong hand on the record, because a lot of scratches can be done with an open fader, but precision movements of the record are needed.

If you feel equally good or bad with both hands then perhaps you are one of those lucky people that will be able to scratch will with either hand on the fader. I know I never could because having my right hand on the fader feels so unnatural.

i think your chirps may start to suck because you neglect them Mixo. i personally find the chirp to be my favorite cuts and the faster i can do the them the cooler they keep sounding. try a flare chirp this will keep your skills on point in both depts.... i do admit when i started learning the single click flare i totally fell off in every dept.. my 2 clicks even sounded like shit... practice cures all bad scratches.

Edited by David iLL

• 3 weeks later...

When you're flaring, you're keeping the fader open and then cutting the sound, whereas when you chirp, you're keeping the fader closed and then opening it quickly. The muscle memory is just different. Practice and it'll get easier.