1200 Tonearms

There is no 'right' setting really, you need to play with it until you're entirely happy. Consult the cartridge manufacturer for a bit of info, Shure have a guide on the web called the 'Book of Shure', which I'm sure you'll find helpful.

As I'm often using different carts, moving my gear around and using my carts on other 12's, I've got pretty tired of dicking around with height settings to very little effect. IMO, 4 is the magic number for most carts, or thereabouts. Obviously if your gear isn't going to be moved for a bit, then improve on this, but 4 is always a good starting point.

All decks vary so there is no numerically perfect setting, it's all about fine tuning it yourself. Consider also how thick your mats are, if you're using exceptionally thin mats then try a lower setting, start at 3 to 3.5ish.

Seriously though, I've never come across a cart that didn't track reasonably at 4, regardless.

right, yeah get it parallel,

nah i'm playing out on saturday and need to do a bit of trickery

forgot all about 1200 set ups

the main thing i can't remember is which way the dial on the counterweight should be facing, nuff times i get in and the dial is facing away from you and pushed all the way in. fucking houser bastards

any help?

p.s. I leave the height at around three and weight at 2.5. Skips rarely, but then again ive trained my hand to be really light on the record, heavy handed people might want to add more weight. Most people ive talked to have it at 3. I see no reason to have it anymore.

saves your styli a bit, i know greg needlz demo said 3.5g's

3's not too bad

although i'm heavy handed i think 2.5 would be skippy the bush kangaroo

cheers for the confirmation

That picture there has the tone arm 'goup' that was featured on tablist magazine.  They covered that mod and nothing really came about it after the article of it.

is that the corect way round then?

It's a fluid damper. www.kabusa.com (I think it's basically one guy) produces and sell those, plus a lot of other mods for the 1200's (hi-fi applications).