BEST SCRATCH MIXER!

OK... so i decided to answer to this question seriously.

First off... questions regarding Best & Worst usually won't get taken seriously or you'll be disapointed with the answers you get. This is a strictly subjective question.

Second, the way to approach this subject is what do YOU want out of a mixer? Top Faders? Top Sound? Grimy Sound? Grimy Faders? No resistance? Lots of effects? Extra Channels? Fader EQ? Rotary EQ? etc.. the best mixer IS the one you like most... not the one the salesman is most eager to sell you at the store for the highest price.

I strongly suggest you go to a good store, guitar center can be decent in the US, if your in london, I hear turnkeys is pretty good about letting people try stuff (don't take my word on that one). Personally, I have a Rane 56 and I love it. Many of the top scratch DJs use it. Some people prefer vestax and still others like their good ole focus faders (read.. cgroove :p)...

Some of the top scratch mixers right now...

Rane 56, all magnetic faders, tank quality dependable rane construction. You can take out the torsion spring to get the loosest xfader of any mixer on the market right now (from what Reezy says at least) Z-Trip and tons of other big names rock this

Ecler HAK 360, fairly similar to the rane except the EQ layout and the channel faders aren't magnetic - Can't think of anyone famous that has this, but I'm sure there are plenty

Pioneer 909 - Optical xfader, quality pioneer effects.. DJ Topspeed from Indianapolis, one of the best hip hop DJs in the midwest rocks this, but he love his Rane 56 too

Rane Empath - Penny and Giles Faders and its a quality 3 channel scratch mixer. Rane Quality of construction too. DJ Woody uses this once and a while, but Grandmaster Flash is the main one championing this baby these days.

Vestax 07 - Tried and true. Fader EQ. Favorite of those who love the "Vestax feel". Q-bert loves his and so do many others.

Within the next 12 months or so look for Urei and Rodec to each drop a very serious scratch mixer. Both companies are renowned for sound/build quality - kinda like Rane, but they're trying to hype themselves up as better than Rane so we'll see.

These are the so called "top of the line" mixers these days... but which ever one is the best is for you to decide....

oh and my consulting fees are $75 (US)/hr., but we can work this out later, haha.

OK... so i decided to answer to this question seriously.

First off... questions regarding Best & Worst usually won't get taken seriously or you'll be disapointed with the answers you get.  This is a strictly subjective question.

Second, the way to approach this subject is what do YOU want out of a mixer?  Top Faders? Top Sound? Grimy Sound? Grimy Faders? No resistance? Lots of effects? Extra Channels? Fader EQ? Rotary EQ? etc.. the best mixer IS the one you like most... not the one the salesman is most eager to sell you at the store for the highest price.

I strongly suggest you go to a good store, guitar center can be decent in the US, if your in london, I hear turnkeys is pretty good about letting people try stuff (don't take my word on that one).  Personally, I have a Rane 56 and I love it.  Many of the top scratch DJs use it.  Some people prefer vestax and still others like their good ole focus faders (read.. cgroove :p)...

Some of the top scratch mixers right now...

Rane 56, all magnetic faders, tank quality dependable rane construction.  You can take out the torsion spring to get the loosest xfader of any mixer on the market right now (from what  Reezy says at least)  Z-Trip and tons of other big names rock this

Ecler HAK 360, fairly similar to the rane except the EQ layout and the channel faders aren't magnetic - Can't think of anyone famous that has this, but I'm sure there are plenty

Pioneer 909 - Optical xfader, quality pioneer effects.. DJ Topspeed from Indianapolis, one of the best hip hop DJs in the midwest rocks this, but he love his Rane 56 too

Rane Empath - Penny and Giles Faders and its a quality 3 channel scratch mixer.  Rane Quality of construction too.  DJ Woody uses this once and a while, but Grandmaster Flash is the main one championing this baby these days.

Vestax 07 - Tried and true.  Fader EQ.  Favorite of those who love the "Vestax feel".  Q-bert loves his and so do many others.

Within the next 12 months or so look for Urei and Rodec to each drop a very serious scratch mixer.  Both companies are renowned for sound/build quality - kinda like Rane, but they're trying to hype themselves up as better than Rane so we'll see.

These are the so called "top of the line" mixers these days... but which ever one is the best is for you to decide....

oh and my consulting fees are $75 (US)/hr., but we can work this out later, haha.

What a gnarly post. :)

Personally, I prefer my Empath over my 56.

Though the 56's faders are magnetic, they require more maintenance than the Empath.

I'm always 'constantly' re-lubing my 56 faders after a few weeks or so.

The rubber which rubs on the 56's twin railing bugs the hell out of me.

the one i have, rane ttm 56, never have to change the faders! for looks....the ecler, rane, and ISP mixer look tight as shit though

sometimes i wish i started out on a crappier vestax mixer like an 06 cuz i cant do half the shit on my friend's 05 II that i can on my 56 :8

i guess the one advantage with starting on a high performance mixer is the mixer works with you instead of against you so all thats left is learning techniques

i imagine if you learned off an 05 and went to a rane it'd be like starting over again kinda

My first mixer was an 06 pro a, its not a bad mixer....i actually mixed a lot with it too....not the friendliest of mixers for that....but yeah i kinda see the argument about learning on shit, but more so for turntables than for mixers.

If you can use str8-80's for mixing because they are so untouchable platter wise....and same goes for cutting "not relying on a heavy hand" then your better off, but yeah at the end of the day a guy who drives a hot car doesnt go back to the 80's volvo less he made bad financial choices.....same goes for dj gear.

mixerwise id start beeting off at the site of of a xone 92 and rane 56 under my xmas tree....so guess that tells u what 2 mixers i think are the best.

Oh and Socal,

Im mainly a mix dj, im assuming u are too from the post on the tiesto tracks....

I love the cueing system on the empath, makes it sooo much easier than the smx501 which i like but admit is a sad imitation....

the headphone adjust option with the faders is nice too, but i loved the rane 56 many times more. even though it only had 2 channels id pay more for the 56 than the empath limited flash edition which i admit is sexy.... hes repping that mixer cuz hes the one that contributed to it. I think its complicated interface over the rane 56 is also a disadvantage, they should of made it a little bigger i think,

tho its not meant to be a djm style mixer and its dope in its own respect, yeah id go either to the xone or the 56.....i like the sweeps and 4 band eq on the xone really really good control, its no secret that good dj's use this shit and get a boost in their performance from what they use.

no the 56 as the scratch/mix mixer and the xone as the mix mixer.

Edited by Nelson

SoCal, you have both those mixers and you've only been cutting for 2.5 months?

I've had DJ gear for about a year now.

I didn't have enough money at the initial time I purchased turntables; a friend of mine loaned me his DJM 300 for a few months.

After I got a part-time job and found DJforums.com back in December, I began to hear a lot of turntablist music.

Purchased a 56, then decided that I wanted to add a third turntable (cd) in the future.

Went out, and purchased an Empath.

I've still got my 56, but I'm selling it to a friend in about a few weeks or so.

I've had wayyy to many strange people contact me through CL. :s