Best DMC routine challenge (read the first post)

Steve

This is just a bit of fun, so I'm not setting up polls and shit, but to start things off, I will post a DMC routine that I think is up there with the best. If you can come up with one that you think is better, post the routine in your reply and explain why. Maybe we'll get some interesting discussion out of it and find the "ultimate DMC routine", or maybe the thread will die on its arse, haha.

I'll start with Brace's 2016 DMC Online winning routine: -

I love this routine. There are better jugglers and scratchers out there, but it's the complete package that counts. The technical skill level is high, without ever detracting from the listenability. There's no mistakes, and the whole thing is super clean. The transitions between each section are cool. He's incorporating a bunch of different gear and using it creatively, but without it ever crossing over into "this button pushing shit is wack" territory. There's little disses and ego bits in there, but without them being cheesy.

So, there you go, post a DMC routine that's better than this and tell me why it's better, or I'll come round and petrol bomb your caravan.

• Like 2

Been away from this forum for years. But yeah I'm back. Here is a routine I like. Musically not to everyone's taste, but the technical skills and timing displayed are unparalleled. And also this guy is not on a lot of peoples radars so enjoy 😉 

• Like 2

This is still my favorite routine for the following reasons:

The way he conducts himself throughout the set is f'n fantastic. His juggles are super clean, and his cuts are pretty nice too and his music selection is dope. Overall, his set is a perfect balance of technicality and musicality. As mentioned in other posts, I generally can't make it through most people's sets 'cause it sounds like trash. Their ego generally gets in the way, and subsequently, it becomes too tech. Not with this set however, it's easy on the ears not to mention eyes.

• Like 3

My recollection of all famous DMC finals routines is not perfect, but the Brace one is definitely a favourite. Buruaaaa is possibly a bit too mental / hectic for me but I can respect the skillz. Craze always seems so ridiculously comfortable, a sign of a true master IMO.

I'll give a shout out to the old forum monkey Vekked. What I liked about this was Vekked's scholarship of the battle scene and that this set is perfectly constructed to win. It was finely honed to cover every base expertly and have broad crowd appeal. To me it was a very "smart" set and delivered the goods. Like someone well prepped for an interview or something.

• Like 3

Vekked's might be my favorite.  Excellent presence; The first minute and a half and the last two minutes are crazy dope; His transitions are flawless.  Agree with Deft that it's thought out like a science.  7.8 million views says it all.  He just killed it on so many levels.  You could try to knock him in a head to head vs Craze or somebody based on the fact that he's not using all vinyl like the cats back in the day but he steps it up significantly by coming up with something you could never do on all vinyl.  

Two things about this routine that  bias me.  First, Vekked does the tru-fade/mule scratch at the 47 second mark.   I told him about that scratch on Skratchworx back in 2011.  I had posted an audio-only file in a battle there and he was smart enough to pick up on the technique and ask me how it was done.  I was super amped to see him use it in a battle and then win.  Second, he won so many battles in 2015 that he had multiple Rane TTM-57mkii mixers.  He sold me one of those mixers and I still use it as my main workhorse today.  

Craze at his best was hard to beat.  I think his was one of the last of true analog routines before DVS and scratch nerd culture really took over.  Craze also had this genuine style to him in his music, posture, and record control.  I think many DJs of his time felt the need to front and put on a hard persona (both in person and in their music) but Craze just sorta went up there as himself and disses were always well placed.  

As far as the routine goes, it does seem outdated now but has some clever music bits, light (but dynamic) scratching as well as some trickery (fake scratching with his back).  With DVS you sort of expect the trick front and center and would be disappointed if there wasn't any in a set.  It takes way more effort to create a trick on vinyl records.  I think this routine would win even today but so far nobody has been able to really emulate Craze.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...