History Question: Scratching in Generes that aren't Hip-Hop + Scratching without a Record?

scottie(the)goonie

Hey Gentlemen.

I'm doing a bit of research on scratching history and how it's been used in popular music that isn't necessarily in the genre of hip-hop.

1. I already have many examples of it used in funk-rock, alternative, and nu-metal (Limpbizkit, Incubus, Sublime, Rage Against the Machine).  I'm looking for examples that may have came before my time or genres that missed.  I was born in 1986 so most of what I know came from late 90's to early 2000's.  Stuff like Portishead is interesting.
  2. Also looking for examples of "emulated" non-digital scratching.  The best example I know of is Rage Against the Machine - Bulls On Parade where guitar strings are used to scratch.

5 hours ago, scottie(the)goonie said:

I already have many examples of it used in funk-rock, alternative, and nu-metal (Limpbizkit, Incubus, Sublime, Rage Against the Machine).  I'm looking for examples that may have came before my time or genres that missed.  I was born in 1986 so most of what I know came from late 90's to early 2000's.  Stuff like Portishead is interesting.

Acid Jazz and Ninja Tune in general. Not sure where you stand on stuff like The Avalanches and later Coup 2 Cross stuff - those had some mass appeal.

5 hours ago, scottie(the)goonie said:

Also looking for examples of "emulated" non-digital scratching.  The best example I know of is Rage Against the Machine - Bulls On Parade where guitar strings are used to scratch.

Zig-A-Zig-Ahhhh

• Haha 3

On 11/3/2021 at 6:22 PM, Deft said:

Definitely plenty of rave music (early 90s) will have scratchy noises / samples in.

Yeah, for sure.

In the latter half of the 80s into the early 90s in the UK, quite a few DJs in their late teens and early 20s that started out being hip-hop DJs moved into other areas, like rave music, house, then jungle and D&B, and I think that's why a fair bit of that music is very heavily sample-based, with samples/beats from hip-hop songs featuring a lot, plus it's why you'd hear scratching in some of those tracks, although some of that was sampled too.

It was also a time where people weren't getting their asses sued for sampling. Well, not that much anyway.

One early example of a lawsuit was with "Pump Up The Volume" that I posted in my first reply. The original version of that track had CJ Mackintosh doing some transforming on the vocal sample at the start of this: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3OYWkrvGI4

Unfortunately, whoever uploaded that video has blocked embedding of it on external sites.

That song was originally released as a white label called "Roadblock - Roadblock" and was designed to make DJs think it was an American import made by some cool producers in the US, when it was actually made by Stock, Aitken and Waterman (SAW), who were responsible for filling the charts up with utter shite like Kylie Minogue, Jason Donovan and what have you. SAW did it cos they knew that nobody cool would play one of their songs in a club, so it was kinda to prove a point. They later owned up to it and put their own name to it. In the end, they came to a deal where a new version of "Pump Up The Volume" would be released with the sample removed.

Here's the OG version with the sample still in it: -

Interestingly, as "Pump Up The Volume" was flying up the charts, look what the number 1 record was at the time: -

DLiIlpe.jpg

Rick Astley being one of SAW's artists of course, but I'm sure that had nothing to do with them trying to interfere with the distribution of the M/A/R/R/S record. ;)

• Like 2