Is there anywhere left for mixer and turntable manufacturers to go, in terms of improvements?

Steve

I'm perfectly fine with my STR8-150s and Z2, but then they are covered in dust and never used, lol.

To the people that still DJ regularly and who actually make use of the more advanced features on offer, are there any features that you think could be improved, or that are still missing?

I'm probably the wrong person to answer this question but I'm going to anyway...

Looking at new 2 channel DVS mixers like the Pioneer DJM S11 or the Rane 72 mk2, I find it really hard to think that there are more features that DJs would really need or use for mixing two records together. From that point of view, 90% of the features on those mixers are overkill. So, purely for DJing, I can't see it. But then, if your intention is to have a mix or a scratch, then the non-DVS mixers from 15-20 years ago would still work perfectly well. I don't think mixers like the S11 or 72 are aimed at those people, even when they are referred to as turntablist mixers (the last dedicated pure turntablist mixer may have been the Scratchbox in 2006). I think these DVS mixers are designed for people who are trying to straddle DJing and production, to try and make live, "on-the-fly" musical compositions with their mixer, not just mix or scratch records. I'm dubious about this area as most of what I see or hear, even from highly skilled turntablists, leaves me cold. One or two manage to make something memorable but a lot of it sounds worse or at least no better than the record they are re-working. But maybe that's just me.

• Like 2

There is so much more I think, like what about the pads being modular, I can swap 8 large pads for 32 small pads on 1 or both decks, pad banks (needs expanded software cue point storage, no idea why this wasn't done 10 years ago). Better effects & effects stacking, I want sidechain on my effects in the mixer too, that hasn't been done yet. More FX/fader routing options, I think the S11 has started playing with this kind of stuff. 

Honestly even the S9 is like 10x beyond the Z2 and the S9 is kinda outdated now. I think there's still a lot of room to grow. 

Built in samplers and resampling with multi channel playback options that can be controlled externally by midi controllers.

Hardware based pitch'n'time within the mixer, I could go on forever haha, then you can key lock in software, and change pitch via mixer hardware.

• Like 1

The routing of the signal/s should be freely assignable. Some Reason-like digital control section, where you could change the routing of the different signal. It could open possibilities with modular, external effect, loopmachines, recording mixes where each channel is seperatly recorded with the faderclicks etc.

Not sure if this is allready establish. I still "only" rock my TTM57sl with SSL and mostly prefer to stay on vinyl (prefer my pio909 and rodecScratchBox compared to these new-school mixers and since I got SL2 I can use them too for DVS)...

• Like 1

The final step will be a mixer that is essentially full PC running an operating system like Windows with fast memory and storage.

You will being able to run multiple programs within the mixer off of its own hardware rather than a USB cable.  No throughput issues and essentially zero latency.  Routing and plug-in's applied in real time  A screen will be vestigial at this point. 

It will have it's own wifi in addition to BT, and will be able to process streaming audio from cloud storage.  No more external hard drives.

i'm surprised there hasn't been more a push to VDJing with mixers that have built in video screens and maybe even like a projector or some shit. 

My attempts at making scratch music are still pretty raw, and I get why it's not everybody's cup of tea, but making scratch music and recording for production are where find myself I pushing my equipment the most.  For turntables, I like the Controller 1's pitch shifting functions and I wish there were more options out there for note shifting turntables.  Right now, the reloop has been the only one but I don't think those pads are as well laid out as the buttons on the C1.  I'd love to see a company one-up the C1.  Something as simple as a button to switch octaves would be helpful.  For mixers, my main issue is the lack of routing options to integrate outboard effects and other equipment.  It's becoming very hard to find a mixer with an effects loop because everyone is trying add digital effects to the mixers.  I wish somebody made a 3 or 4 channel mixer that's as good as some of the 2-channel mixers out there to add drum machines and whatnot.  I'd like to see more built-in looping functions on mixers too.  I'm in the minority but my default mode tends to be pretty mad scientist and that usually involves hooking up a lot of shit to a mixer and trying to make it work together.  I feel like my equipment never quite does what I want it to do.

For what I do, I love the z2. Im still exploring the possibilities of using the F1 with it. i never used serato, so its hard for me to comment on alot of the other mixers out there as far as features go.  I do like the fact that the s11 can take a blend that you made and move it to its own sperate channel so you can blend a whole new song into it. honestly, these new mixers are aimed towards doing routines. like red bull 3styles.  The only thing I wish my z2 had is on board effects instead of software effects. well maybe 2 things. I would also like to have all 8 cue pads immediately available like the s9 and 72.  every now and then i could use more cue points. like when your messing with bob james nautilus. you need at least 15 cue points for that song. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, djdiggla said:

i'm surprised there hasn't been more a push to VDJing with mixers that have built in video screens and maybe even like a projector or some shit. 

I had a friend in college who mixed music videos live.  One issue he had with it was the size of video files vs hard drive space (this was early 2010's).

The other issue was that it was awkward to have video and music at the same time on a dance floor.  People didn't know if they should be dancing or watching and the projector would light up a dark room in a weird way. 

• Haha 1

I've had a pioneer DDJ SR controller since 2014 that I use for gigs when there's no decks, and I'm not arsed bringing them.  I was looking at it the other night at a gig, and I realised i have no idea what the parameter buttons do, they are under the looping function but don't control that. Something to do with the pads, but i haven't needed to learn. Might actually look into it now.

I have an S9 that i've also used fuck all over the last while, and it needed a firmware upgrade as I noticed the pads didn't light up, I also couldn't remember what the second little screen did, and had to look up the manual to find out that again, it was a pads related thing.

I use cue points, filter knob, the loop buttons and thats about it. Maybe delay a tiny bit when mixing, but hate when people use it scratching. I actually almost prefer to manually use the cue points as a delay/loop feature when mixing out of a track.

I've rarely seen a DJ use a feature and thought,  "that looks mad useful, i must give that a go"

• 3 weeks later...