Want a new turntable, what to buy?

Clownstyle

I'm in the market for a new turntable after my Vestax PDX2000 gave up the ghost a while ago.

What's a good option right now? I've been out of the scratch game for so long I'm probably pretty behind the times.

Is purchasing an old PDX2000 a good option, or is there something else I should look at? Ideally I'd like to be able to use something similar to serato - Again, you might need to fill me in as to the best option here :)

Look forward to seeing your suggestions.

I got a used pair of Numark ttx's. If you still like the straight arms for better tracking while scratching, I say go used pdx or ttx. unless you can find some stanton str8150's.  other than that, the reloop rp-7000 mk2's look pretty good.  I think thats what the Beat Junkies use in their school.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TBearOne8III said:

I got a used pair of Numark ttx's. If you still like the straight arms for better tracking while scratching, I say go used pdx or ttx. unless you can find some stanton str8150's.  other than that, the reloop rp-7000 mk2's look pretty good.  I think thats what the Beat Junkies use in their school.

Thanks dude. The Numark ttx's look exactly like an old Numark CDX I had a few years back I'm not sure I like the design but I'm sure the motor was pretty solid in the CDX.

reloop is probably more than I would like to spend sadly, I was hoping to get something cheap 2nd hand to decide if I want to spend more in the future.

Can you recommend anything like serato? I'd like to manipulate sounds that I don't have on record - This is what I used the CDX for although it was a pita to keep burning CDs

Im using traktor. but damn near every piece of dj gear is designed for serato, so you might as well get serato. theres also rekordbox and virtual dj.  in the end, they are all the same.  a new kit with the software, sound card, and timecode vinyl will run you around $300 usd. And thats for any of them.  I bought a native instruments z2 mixer which is why i use traktor.  I have no complaints about traktor at all.  I havent used any other dvs so i cant speak on them.

• Like 1

I was in the same situation a few years ago. Getting a second hand PDX online seemed a bit risky to me, because I know quite a few that developed issues. I ended up getting the Reloop 6000 for about 200€ each (including cartridges). I never felt that it was inferior to the PDX and there are some things I actually like more (cleaner looks, pitch settings). Look around to find all the Hanpin Super-OEMS: the Reloop is only one of many. On top of my head: Synq, Omnitronic, Stanton 150 - I believe there are a bunch more that are all the same thing.

Regarding Serato: Which mixer do you use now / are you satisfied? Either getting a dedicated Serato box or a different mixer could be an option.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mfsop said:

I was in the same situation a few years ago. Getting a second hand PDX online seemed a bit risky to me, because I know quite a few that developed issues. I ended up getting the Reloop 6000 for about 200€ each (including cartridges). I never felt that it was inferior to the PDX and there are some things I actually like more (cleaner looks, pitch settings). Look around to find all the Hanpin Super-OEMS: the Reloop is only one of many. On top of my head: Synq, Omnitronic, Stanton 150 - I believe there are a bunch more that are all the same thing.

Regarding Serato: Which mixer do you use now / are you satisfied? Either getting a dedicated Serato box or a different mixer could be an option.

Thanks dude that's some helpful info. I've been looking for the Reloop 6000 but can't seem to find any stock.

I've still got the Rane TTM56 I used years ago.. I hope it still works. It's pretty solid and has been kept in nice condition.

I was really happy with my Numark TTX's (not the TTX1's with the overheating issues). They were great for skratching, but not for mixing due to the inconsistent platter speeds. Think trainwrecks! But yeah, skratching they were dope. Then I went back to the 1210's and I've been grateful ever since.

I found this on Reddit: a list of most "Super OEM" turntables. Keep looking and one will show up eventually. :)

American Audio HTD 4.5, Audio Technica LP1240, Reloop 7000 and 7000mk2, Reloop 8000 and 8000mk2, Stanton ST150 and ST150mk2 and straight tonearm version of this. Pioneer PLX1000, Mixars LTA and straight tonearm version of this. There's also Reloop 5000/6000 and Citronic PD45, Omnitronic DD5250 (and Synq X-TRM 1)

The Rane 56 is still a nice mixer, so if you just want to load a few samples, I'd hold on to it for now. I'd stay away from the old Serato boxes that are no longer supported. But maybe if you find one for very cheap and check before if it runs on your computer / OS, you might grab one of those, too.

On 8/10/2021 at 7:29 PM, JHouse said:

I was really happy with my Numark TTX's (not the TTX1's with the overheating issues). They were great for skratching, but not for mixing due to the inconsistent platter speeds. Think trainwrecks! But yeah, skratching they were dope. Then I went back to the 1210's and I've been grateful ever since.

i have ttx1s. i havent had an overheating issue.  but one of them did have the motor issue where it would just stop by itself. but it was an easy fix with the solder iron. they still are pretty good to mix with. i do have to babysit the pitch sometimes but not too bad.  but, i never owned a pair of 1200s. my first tables were gemini's.

6 hours ago, TBearOne8III said:

i do have to babysit the pitch sometimes but not too bad.  but, i never owned a pair of 1200s. my first tables were gemini's.

Yeah, that was the issue I had with them, but needed to babysit the pitch quite often compared to Techs. I like doing long mixes though, so it needed constant attention. In any event, I still wouldn't mind having a TTX specifically for skratching.

Another superOem is the akiyama acura. Looks like the american audio or the reloops.

akiyama-acura-19046.jpgakiyama-acura-19047.jpg

These are availabe at wallapop time to time around 200€.

About cdx, check the specific thread and possible drawbacks. What about X2? These pop up at wallapop too with 250-300€ range (there’s oje from ibiza at this moment includding flightcase for 250€) and you have vest of two worlds and the chance to upgrade it into something more modern an amazing…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQDg9Xxlafh/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQDiAZ7ll2A/?utm_medium=copy_link

This guy is adapting sc1000 into cdx as I pointed long ago at that topic so you an get something better than HDX or twelve since it plays audio files by itself from pendrive…

Other options coming to my mind could be denon 3700 but these are over 250€ since they have the pendrive option by default I wonder.

• 2 weeks later...

I w started seeing ttxs in videos over the past few months. When they worked I absolutely loved mine but I got sick of replacing the motor controller IC - three times across two decks iirc. I know the newer ones were supposedly better but it still worries me. 

2 hours ago, Jam Burglar said:

If I were you I'd look for a Stanton STR8-150.

Can vouch for that, the original ones certainly. Only problem is the weight if you move them around - they’re 17kg each!

the other thing is that, for the original (old logo) versions at least, the covering on the plastic buttons goes sticky and gross so you have to scrub it off and the rubber on the underside is also getting tacky - but on top of that the main paint they used on the whole thing has started to dissolve on mine, and this is both so it’s not a one-off.

operation wise they’re as good as it gets but they’re just a bit too torquey for my absolute preference, pdx-ttx range is the ultimate IMO. Most super oems are that 4.5kg torque and it’s super stable but lacks a bit of ‘human’ feel. 

I've also had the issue with the button coverings breaking down and going all sticky with my STR8-150s, but that's really my only gripe with them.

The only thing I liked better about the PDX-2000s I had before the STR8-150s is that the ultra-pitch is a separate slider, so you can make large pitch adjustments with that, then fine tune with the regular slider, but obviously that only has limited uses anyway.

im also looking at a new turntable as well....I've got two old model 1 pdx here, and they still work....but the audio connections are a bit sketchy (intermittent signals - have tried to resolder dry joints on the connections inside, but to no avail in sorting this issue).

there was at one point it seemed, a lot of different super OEM tables floating about....but they've all but disappeared here and the only options I have locally are the reloops, pioneers and technics.

Id love a tech again, but the lack of ultrapitch makes it not really an option for me

I have heard good things about the reloops though - they don't seem toooo expensive....especially if you consider it a long term - 10-15 year purachse or whatever.

anyone know much about these - 

LTA_prospettiva_1280x980-480x368.png

https://avstore.co.nz/product/lta-high-torque-scratch-turntable-with-straight-arm/

On 8/27/2021 at 6:26 PM, Chris said:

Can vouch for that, the original ones certainly. Only problem is the weight if you move them around - they’re 17kg each!

the other thing is that, for the original (old logo) versions at least, the covering on the plastic buttons goes sticky and gross so you have to scrub it off and the rubber on the underside is also getting tacky - but on top of that the main paint they used on the whole thing has started to dissolve on mine, and this is both so it’s not a one-off.

operation wise they’re as good as it gets but they’re just a bit too torquey for my absolute preference, pdx-ttx range is the ultimate IMO. Most super oems are that 4.5kg torque and it’s super stable but lacks a bit of ‘human’ feel. 

D-Styles is a big fan of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 2:36 AM, Wax On said:

Anyone had much to do with the Pioneers? Sound like the PLX500 could be a decent one?

ive had a good go on the pioneer plx 1000 decks - - theyre ok....they seemed to skip a shit tonne mind you...no matter what i did to try and stop them doing so.

apparently, theyre also not the best in terms of build quality internally...so id be wary of them long term 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 8/27/2021 at 11:26 PM, Chris said:

STR8-150 got more torque than your nans John Lewis Tumble Dryer.

"Yo man can you help me with my gear.  I got the mixer, records, cables, laptop can you just carry that deck for me"

Thanks SUCKA!

• Like 2

If you go second-hand I'd buy a Pdx-2000. The TTX are also very nice (never had to babysit the pitch of mine while mixing), but mine started to stick on the coating, which sucks.

If you go for new ones I'd go with Reloop (the 8000mk2 is sexy) or with Mixar (if you don't need all them fancy midi-buttons).

Personally I prefer the SL-1210 MKII for mixing, the PDX-2000 and the TTX for scratching and the CunTrollerOne for producing and fancy social-media fotos

2 hours ago, arkei said:

If you go second-hand I'd buy a Pdx-2000. The TTX are also very nice (never had to babysit the pitch of mine while mixing), but mine started to stick on the coating, which sucks.

If you go for new ones I'd go with Reloop (the 8000mk2 is sexy) or with Mixar (if you don't need all them fancy midi-buttons).

Personally I prefer the SL-1210 MKII for mixing, the PDX-2000 and the TTX for scratching and the CunTrollerOne for producing and fancy social-media fotos

Ditto on the TTX coating off-gassing and becoming sticky. If you get one make sure it's labeled as TTX or TTX USB but not TTX1 which is the old chip and prone to overheat. Info