Anyone tried Ortofon VNL carts?

Steve

i've been trying to get people to try them.  right now they are at a great price.  $99 for the cart and 3 different styli.  who knows how long it will be at that price.  I dont need new needles right now but if i had and extra $200 i would give them a go.  the only review vids ive seen so far are just first looks and i saw one that compared the sound quality between these and 447's but none of them talked about how well they track.  I never used ortofons before but people swear by them.

• Like 1

The "3 needles included" thing made me more wary of buying them. I don't know if that makes sense or it's more a matter of perception. I guess it's impossible to know without knowing how much carts/styli cost to make.

Also, I don't see the need to complicate things unnecessarily. Just make a Shure M44-7 clone that's really fucking good.

I would love to get an honest answer as to why there's 3 different styli available for it.

• Like 1

If these track better than my (more expensive) Concorde MK2 Scratch, but sound worse, then they'll be worth it.

I think that cartridge design is still superior, even if the needle is worse - which might be why you get 3 of them.

It's hard to be heavy-handed (scribble) on the Concordes...  I miss my shures.

9 hours ago, JHouse said:

According to the video, the three different needles allow you to choose your personal preference in terms of tension, muthafuckas.

right. the idea is, when you go to buy a replacement stylus, you only have to buy the one you like.  

Yeah I'd be interested to know the thinking behind the 3 options. Are there 3 different groups of turntable setups that benefit from a slightly different cantilever stiffness, or is it more that you'll get better sound quality if you pick the less skip proof version / are more gentle.

14 hours ago, Steve said:

My personal preference is for them to just pick the one that works the best and sell me that. 😛

or sell 3 different SKUs, each with its own stylus, so that your original purchase comes with 2 replacement needles.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hilariously, there is not enough space on a Kallax unit to put a turntable battle style. I spent yesterday evening switching between Ortofon VNL 2 Vs Shure m44g Vs Shure N97xE/V15Vx to see if I could tell audio quality differences. I struggled a bit.

I knew all these spare carts and headshells would come in handy one day. Listening to vinyl again on a new mixer has confused my ears. Plus doing all my day to day listening on my Sony WH-1000X M3 doesn't help either.