Anyone tried Ortofon VNL carts?

Steve

Well I'll be fucked if I can tell a difference between the tracking performance of the 3 Ortofon needles! Lolz, good thing I'm not in the reviewing game anymore. Man I don't miss skipping vinyl when I'm scratching one bit.

I've got a brand new m44g setup too, not got any m447 styli. Can't see they are much different to each other, but I need to refine my real vinyl touch before I unveil my verdict. I've got used to a skipless Rane Twelve where my true heavy handed creativity can be unleashed. The torque on this 1210GR feels a bit weak, but perhaps that is just what Technics were always like.

• Like 1

I know my verdict on these will make or break Ortofon, so I can't rush it. With great power comes great responsibility.

My interim assessment is that the styli don't seem different from one another, and that they all hold up OK compared to the m44g. However, I'm getting more skipping across the board than I remember, so my real vinyl touch seems to have gone down the toilet.

• 1 month later...

I'm coming back to say after breaking these in for a while, they all seem better - but I cannot tell the difference between the Ortofon styli and they seem similar enough to the m44g to say you should be OK with them. Only thing to watch out for is checking your tonearm height as the cart is so tall it will scrape on your record if you don't get the tonearm a bit higher.

• Like 1