Board and card games

mfsop

Anybody else playing games the analog way? The pandemic made us play some board games again. What do you guys recommend?

Our favorites:

Bohnanza - a fun card game that everybody seems to enjoy https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11/bohnanza

Legends of Andor - it's new to us and a lot of fun so far https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/127398/legends-andor

Arkham Horror - a very atmospheric cooperative game. You can even play it all by yourself https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15987/arkham-horror

Descent: Journeys in the Dark - also great atmosphere. One players plays "the dungeon" and the rest tries to fulfill quests. It's a real dungeon *crawler* - one false move and you might die, so you spend a lot of time debating what to do next. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17226/descent-journeys-dark

Standards are Carcassonne, King of Tokyo (although it's much better with more than a couple of players so better for non social distanced games), bit of Takenoko. A bloke I know has put out a game called Paupers Ladder which we're all enjoying. Sort of dungeon crawler style but lighter on strategy, heavier on luck - which works for us because the kids are in with a genuine shot at winning. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/263938/paupers-ladder

Hero Quest has also been dug out!

• Like 1

Right, King of Tokyo is a fun game. It always leads to arguments about the Jetpack being imbalanced, though. :)

The best game for having fights with your mates might be Junta - cheating is encouraged since everybody plays a corrupt minister that tries to find allies while backstabbing everybody.

Robinson Crusoe is another good cooperative survival game.

Not really.. just Poker (online ha). Oh! And Uno. We've played loads of that. There is another neuvo tile game that we play. Forget the name but it's fun.

I keep trying to teach myself how to play the Pokemon card game because the kids have tons of the cards... they were popular in school just to collect (kids are stupid). ...but it's just confusing enough and I'm still relatively unmotivated so no luck figuring it out so far.

I love playing dominoes and chess but nobody at my house plays (or are just learning) so not like I'm doing it for fun--more teaching. Same with 3-D tic tac toe. And Spades and gin too which I used to play a lot as a kid... nobody in the fam knows how.

I've played some childrens boardgames that suck like Candyland, etc. They also play Allowance and Monopoly. Meh.

I've always wanted to play Risk. Never have. there are a few "oil tycoon" type board games on ebay I've been eying but all are kinda pricy. I did buy Mastermind which I loved as a kid. Wifey is saving it to give the kids at a later time... I dont' understand the logic of this but not worth an argument either. I dig that little marble game from Africa... begins with a "M" I think... but 1 yr old in the house so don't want to buy a game with small shiny marbles for him to eat. I bought a Backgammon set about a year ago. Really hoped my parents could teach me since it was very popular in the 70s/80s and they played a lot but apparently they have no interest in teaching me lol.

The one board game I'm addicted to is called Hotels. If you get a chance pick it up. Discontinued game so will have to pick up on ebay. All of my cousins are addicted to it now. We have a tournament at our family reunion. It's like Monopoly but looks cooler, is much faster and more cut-throat. Give it a go if you can.

• Like 2

Don't get me started on Monopoly - we just recently played it for several mindnumbing hours. The card game is kind of fun, though. Maybe your kids would enjoy it, too.

I played some Risk as a kid but it was a bit long for my taste. Not "Axis & Allies" long but still..

If you're into tycoon type games you might like Junta - it's pretty hilarious: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/242/junta

The "Mad" board game was also fun as a kid - you win by loosing all of your money first.

I was never into Chess really because I didn't care about learning all the openings, so I just wing it and then make a stupid random mistake. My room mate spends a lot of time with a chess app, though.

• Like 2

I'm allll about Monopoly — I love that game.

I got back into it about 10 years ago, playing with this chick roughly every week, but she was taking me out consistently. So, the last time she ruled the board, I decided I was going to research this game and how to crush my opponents. Next time we played, I demolished her out in about an hour.

Some of my other friends are really into it too, for instance my old housemate that collectively owns roughly 30 real properties with his brothers, all around Yale. In fact, they have their own Monopoly game, with their own properties to buy, sell and trade and it looks super legit (they paid some company to have it made). The sessions get pretty heated, but it's all in good fun. We talk mad shit, but again, it's all fun and games.

I don't consider myself competitive, although I definitely am with this game.

• Like 1

I'm allll about Monopoly — I love that game.

I got back into it about 10 years ago, playing with this chick roughly every week, but she was taking me out consistently. So, the last time she ruled the board, I decided I was going to research this game and how to crush my opponents. Next time we played, I demolished her out in about an hour.

Some of my other friends are really into it too, for instance my old housemate that collectively owns roughly 30 real properties with his brothers, all around Yale. In fact, they have their own Monopoly game, with their own properties to buy, sell and trade and it looks super legit (they paid some company to have it made). The sessions get pretty heated, but it's all in good fun. We talk mad shit, but again, it's all fun and games.

I don't consider myself competitive, although I definitely am with this game.

See if you can beat her at Ms. Monopoly.

"Female players get $1,900 at the start of the game, and male players get $1,500. When passing "Go", female players get $240, while male players only get the standard $200 as in the normal game." Equal Rights at its best.

• Like 1

We don't stray too deep into the geeky territory.

Mainly Boggle, Yahtzee, 30 Seconds, Trivial Pursuit.

I went to the game shop in dublin with thought of maybe buying Jaipur or something, but ended up coming back with Skulls and Codenames.

I did make my own game a few years ago. I was working in a PR/ad agency and i thought it'd be a good idea as the corporate gift.

Idea was for it to be kinda like a mix of 30 seconds, articulate pictionary.

Basically, draw it , hum it, act it, describe it... kind of thing

i wrote every single clue, and had to do it in about 2 days.

One of my mates in the office did a silly unboxing of it.

• Like 2

The one board game I'm addicted to is called Hotels. If you get a chance pick it up. Discontinued game so will have to pick up on ebay. All of my cousins are addicted to it now. We have a tournament at our family reunion. It's like Monopoly but looks cooler, is much faster and more cut-throat. Give it a go if you can.

I used to love that as a kid! is it the one with the Waikiki?? Shit, must check if it's in my folks house .

Also has anyone actually played the game PANDEMIC?

I nearly bought this when it came out a few years ago

DUEZsW8.jpg

• Like 2

YES! I can't believe you know that game! I'm all about the Boomerang and LeGrande!

Dude, I been looking at that The Thing game! It looks maybe a little too advanced for the kids so I didn't pick it up. Made by Mondo, right? They do dope shit... everything from LP album art to movie posters, shirts, board games, puzzles, etc. Alamo Drafthouse was offering bake at home lasagna with a movie and either game or puzzle. That one was sold out or I woulda done it!

• Like 1

@Sav LOVE Trivial Pursuit. My whole fam does but we years ago bailed on the board part and just quiz each other with the cards. I got an early 90s deck of music themed expansion cards. They are freekin awesome! According to my dad and I that is. Everyone else in the fam hates that expansion pack lol.

• Like 2

All I really play are Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit.

I can't stand Monopoly, mostly because everyone I know plays it using their own made up version of the rules and it goes on for fucking hours.

For example, if a player lands on a property that hasn't yet been purchased, if they decide not to buy it, the banker is supposed to auction it to the highest bidder - and the player that landed on it can bid on it too if they want to. When have you ever played a game where people do that though? Maybe it's just my friends and family that have never actually read the rules, lol.

Yeah, this rule is largely unknown - I've read about it online and that's what made us play Monopoly once more. It doesn't change a whole lot about the game though because most people buy a property anyway! After every property has been sold, you just wait for how everything develops. You might as well just roll dice for five hours and see who has the highest sum in the end. :p

Thanks scottie, Monopoly Deal is the name of the card game I mentioned. It's also pretty random and the rules are totally unclear but once you've decided how to play it, it's pretty alright.

Sometimes we play Dice 10000 which at least involves some tactics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dice_10000

Deft, is that show any good? Seen it advertised on Netflix numerous times, but never checked it out.

OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT CROWD. One of those programs I always randomly put on when I'm bored. You need to watch it to at least S02E01 - Work Outing. My favourite episode.

Watched a couple episodes last night and was sold straight out the gate. Definitely my type of well written comedy.

I've been seriously stressed the last few days, to the point where I felt on the verge of hyperventilating...consistently. But after I watched this show, I was laughing out loud on the regular, which did a lot for my overall well-being and psyche. I was even laughing this morning thinking about the fireplace screen saver segment.

I was near the point of cancelling my Netflix account because I was losing interest in the shows and movies available, plus was spending significantly more time watching YouTube videos. Glad I didn't 'cause IT Crowd is my new favorite show.

Up yours Deft!

Deft, is that show any good? Seen it advertised on Netflix numerous times, but never checked it out.

OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT CROWD. One of those programs I always randomly put on when I'm bored. You need to watch it to at least S02E01 - Work Outing. My favourite episode.

I was actually disappointed with the first season when it first came out, but it was s02e01 where they found their footing and the show got better. it's a great episode.

and that in turn made rewatching series 1 better.

I watched some of S01E01 last night. Never had heard of it. Not at all what I was thinking (laugh track in particular) but it was pretty funny. I'll definitely watch some more.

• Like 1

I was actually disappointed with the first season when it first came out, but it was s02e01 where they found their footing and the show got better. it's a great episode.

and that in turn made rewatching series 1 better.

Yeah, I think I naturally skip season 1 because I go straight to my favourite episode and go from there.

Dude, I been looking at that The Thing game! It looks maybe a little too advanced for the kids so I didn't pick it up. Made by Mondo, right? They do dope shit... everything from LP album art to movie posters, shirts, board games, puzzles, etc. Alamo Drafthouse was offering bake at home lasagna with a movie and either game or puzzle. That one was sold out or I woulda done it!

Yep, Mondo. That's where I saw it anyway.

I got carried away a few months back and preordered this monstrosity: Return to Dark Tower

DarkTower10.jpg?ssl=1

cutawayTower.jpg

• Like 2