PS5

Deft

4 hours ago, djdiggla said:

I read recently that some people have concerns about slowdown with Sony... I guess MS is reporting continuously deliverable speeds but Sony is posting max speeds which are higher however there is question if they can be stable because SSDs slow down as they heat up. IDK... sounded kinda interesting tho. 

Even the PS5's max speeds are slower. The Xbox Series X can deliver a continuous 12.1TF of performance, while the maximum the PS5 can do is 10.28, however, realistically it's more likely to be around 9 when talking about continuous performance.

I don't blame Sony for advertising the max figures, cos they have said all along that the performance is variable and those are the "up to" figures, but a lot of sites have just done a straight comparison between Sony's max figure and MS's continuous figure, which is obviously not a valid way to compare these things.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kotaku's review of the PS5 contains the kind of crap one would expect from such a site in 2020: -

How would my boss, whose various PlayStation 4 reviews I’ve skimmed several times so as to glean some insight into what I should cover, review this thing? How can anyone, at this very moment in time, review this thing?

But I’d be remiss to ignore all the reasons not to be excited for the PlayStation 5.

The world is still reeling under the weight of the covid-19 pandemic. There are more Americans out of work right now than at any point in the country’s history, with no relief in sight. Our health care system is an inherently evil institution that forces people to ration life-saving medications like insulin and choose suicide over suffering with untreated mental illness.

As I’m writing this, it looks very likely that Joe Biden will be our next president. But it’s clear that the worst people aren’t going away just because a new old white man is sitting behind the Resolute desk—well, at least not this old white man. Our government is fundamentally broken in a way that necessitates radical change rather than incremental electorialism.

Concerns over increasing austerity in the United States and the growing threat of widespread political violence supersede any enthusiasm about the console’s SSD or how ray tracing makes reflections more realistic. That’s not to say you can’t be excited for those things—I certainly am, on some level—but there’s an irrefutable level of privilege attached to the ability to simply tune out the world as it burns around you.

LOL

Stupid mopey fucks. Great news though, all my pre-ordered accessories are being delivered on the 12th. That means I get a full week to stare at controllers and headphones before the console appears. Then, because I have the digital version it will take me about a day to download the Sackboy game.

• Like 1

It's here and it really is fucking massive! Just set it up and downloading Sackboy. Got meetings all day so can't really sneak off and play the thing. Only odd thing is when you buy a game it allows you to also download the PS4 version. Seems pointlessly confusing to me, but perhaps there's a good reason.

In reality I'm not sure I was expecting some kind of new console revelation. Standard box under a TV. I've got it hooked up to my LG C9 and graphically it looks pretty nice. Sackboy perhaps not the greatest title to really push moody atmosphere / realistic lighting, though 4 player with the family is good fun. I'm tempted to get COD just as it'll be easier to mentally benchmark.

The box makes a bit of in use noise, though so far not as crazy as my PS4 used to get. Haven't tried the headphones yet, but obviously I'm spoilt by expensive Sony and Sennheiser sets, as I opened them and thought they looked like cheapy crap!

• Like 1

a buddy of mines has miles morales.  i havent seen it in person, but he shared some gameplay on his facebook account.  it looks great.  looks like the spiderverse movie.  of course i couldnt tell you anything about sharpness of graphics considering im looking at it on my phone.  he also spoke on the uniqueness of the new controller.  the feedback in the triggers and what not. 

It's the shitty Alps stick modules they use. The same ones are used in Xbox controllers too. I'm not sure if Nintendo use the same ones, but they probably do.

You'd think by now that MS and Sony would have told their supplier that this shit is just not good enough, but for whatever reason, they don't and they keep using the same shitty quality components.

While I have had over 10 faulty Xbox One controllers now, stick drift is the one thing that's not happened to me yet, lol.